Did your hair seem shorter before your relaxer?

Do your hair seem shorter before relaxer?

• heck yes!

Votes: 240 94.5%
  • Not really

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • It looks the same as before

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
It's what I like about stretching. Stretch for 3 months and afer all that toil relax and discover a new length!

Thanks, it's not easy, but I know it'll be worth the effort in the end - well that's what I'm telling myself! :lol:

Wave Nouveau is easily available in the UK, so you could probably buy it from UK vendors if you have trouble getting some in Italy; at least the shipping won't be as traumatising! Also it doesn't have to be Wave Nouveau either, S Curl would be just as good, but I can't really take the smell of that!

I wouldn't risk using ORS pak, yes it does feel beautifully moisturising in the hair but it does contain protein, so I wouldn't reach for that after doing a heavy protein. You need a rich moisture treatment like Silicon Mix, Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturising Treatment, or Sitrinillah etc, and leave it on for a good amount of time if you're not using heat. :yep:

Oooh so you're trying a new stylist - hope all goes well and make sure she knows what you want and don't want before she starts your hair!!

I'm going to Sally's tomorrow and looking for the Silk Elements. I'm taking out my cornrows(after 3 1/2 weeks) and plan to prepoo, clarify, 2minute keratin, and a moisturizing dc (Silk elements!)with heat for 30 minutes. I hope my hair likes it. Lol...if not, I'll mail it to you!!!!

This new stylist came recommended by twolafies here with beautiful hair. But, I plan to have an in depth consultation a week before she will put her hands in my hair. If she doesn't respect my wishes, then I'll just KIM!!

I'm going to Sally's tomorrow and looking for the Silk Elements. I'm taking out my cornrows(after 3 1/2 weeks) and plan to prepoo, clarify, 2minute keratin, and a moisturizing dc (Silk elements!)with heat for 30 minutes. I hope my hair likes it. Lol...if not, I'll mail it to you!!!!

This new stylist came recommended by twolafies here with beautiful hair. But, I plan to have an in depth consultation a week before she will put her hands in my hair. If she doesn't respect my wishes, then I'll just KIM!!

Good girl! :yep: Sounds like a plan!

I'm sure you'll love the Silk Elements, it literally does seem to turn the hair to silk, and it's so cheap too!!

Good luck on your stretches ladies! I'm on week 10 of a 16 week stretch.

I know that if I were natural my hair would grow out rather than down, so my new growth really does "lift" my relaxed hair.

I am 32 weeks post and I know for a fact that I started out with this stretch at collar bone and I dont feel like it has moved much in the way of down but it does seem to go out (thicker). I cant wait until I relax around Thanksgiving some time.

I am 32 weeks post and I know for a fact that I started out with this stretch at collar bone and I dont feel like it has moved much in the way of down but it does seem to go out (thicker). I cant wait until I relax around Thanksgiving some time.

32 weeks post! Wow, that's an accomplishment!! What are you doing to handle all the new growth?

My hair always looks shorter before I relax, and the longer I stretch the shorter it looks :grin:. My logic is that my NG is curling up and giving my relaxed ends more lift and volume, thus bringin the length upward, instead of downward, and this action would only perpetuate the longer the stretch ensues.

i don't know what is going on with my hair...i relaxed only 3 weeks ago and was all thrilled because i thought i saw some growth, but now.....

it looks shorter than 3 weeks ago! yikes!

i ahve a looooooooong way to go until i can even think about perming again, so i'm a bit stuck. this has never happened before like this. i thought i was going to be able to enjoy my permed length for at least a good month and a half!
now what?!

Always. I used to get relaxers about every 8-10 weeks but I stretched last time to 14 weeks. My hair looked way shorter especially after a wash since I wasnt flat ironing. I figured out soon enough that the NG was causing some shrinkage.

Always. I used to get relaxers about every 8-10 weeks but I stretched last time to 14 weeks. My hair looked way shorter especially after a wash since I wasnt flat ironing. I figured out soon enough that the NG was causing some shrinkage.

I agree! I'm at week 13 of a 19 week stretch and my hair is just barely past SL :nono:. I'm not sure what length I actually am but I think I'm around APL. Shrinkage is a beast!

When I was stretching my relaxers/texlaxing, before the touch up my hair usually looked a mess! (thin/wiry ends, always dry hair wouldn't behave!) after touchup, it was fine, and did indeed look longer...

Good thread OP. I'm not planning to relax (it has almost been a year since my last one) but I am planning on straightening for my bday in september. Crossing my fingers for APL but who knows...Anyway it's encouraging to think I might have picked up some length!

This thread came just on time. I'm 12 weeks post right now and I can't relax until september per my dr.'s orders. I've never stretched that long before. I actually thought my hair didn't make any progress cause it seems shorter. Now i know.

yikes! my ng keeps inching my hair back up instead of down.

talk about a good reason to stop length checking so often!

it's starting to look SL!!!!

I'm noticing the same thing. In my case (and probably in a lot of ppl's cases), my NG is growing upwards (and not hanging down) so it's pulling my relaxed hairs up a little. That's why my hair seems shorter. I have no idea how much longer my hair has gotten. I'm looking forward to my first touch-up.

My hair was closing in on BSB when I relaxed in Dec. Now when my hair dries after a good wash & DC, it shrinks up to barely APL. Mind games, I tell ya.

Oh heck yeah... I'm 32 weeks post and although my hair is short shrinkage make my hair look really short..

This is the joy of stretching....knowing that the length that you see isn't the length that you actually have...16-20 weeks here I come:yep: I'm currently at 9.

This thread bump was right on time Nix08. I feel like I'm barely APL right now at 15 weeks post. It's seriously distressing although I keep reminding myself it's just shrinkage. :spinning: Step away from the scissors...

I know what you mean....one minute I was feeling good about my hair and lately:nono: not so much:ohwell: @ 15 weeks you must feel bald:grin:Mische

Yay for bumping this thread........ Be 18 weeks post on Saturday and I'm doing my touch-up that day but I am feeling like I barely made any progress looking at my hair now..

Ahhh. The wonderful joys of relaxing lol. When I ended my 3 month stretch my hair looked soo much longer. Now it's back to looking short again. But I know that's from the shrinkage of both the new growth and the fact that my hair is underprocessed so the length shows better when it's straightened

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

:lol: I'm glad to know other people are experiencing this too. Getting a relaxer is like the big reveal. I love that moment where you feel hair on your back and it feels strange because it never touched that part before.

Going for a 20-24 week stretch...currently at 4. It's alllll good though!

sunnieb I think you should do one where we all do a pre and post relaxer measurement ...it would show us just much shrinkage we're getting:yep:

I notice my hair starts to look shorter from about 8-9 wks post, the longer I stretch, the shorter it appears because of the shrinkage from my NG. I'm 13 and a half wks post and I'll be relaxing next Saturday, I can't wait to see how much my hair has grown even though I know most of the what I've grown will be trimmed off :ohwell:

Bumping thread cause i need reassurance. I know it's the shrinkage from the new grow that makes my hair look short and thin before relaxing hair. But still.. sheesh

Back