Did You/will You Serve Alcohol At Your Wedding?

Did you/will you serve alcohol at your wedding?

• Yes, I will/did serve alcohol.

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • No, I will not/did not serve alcohol.

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gimbap

I'm watching Four Weddings on TLC and the black bride had an alcohol-free reception, just juice and water. The other brides (white) didn't like that. Now that I think about it, I've only been to weddings of other black people and they never served alcohol. Did you/will you serve alcohol at your wedding?

I've never been to a wedding that served alcohol, but I will serve it at mine. :yep: No open bar though, but basic wine, beer and champagne and a signature cocktail (probably kir royale). But I'll have to have the bartender keep an eye on some people. I have some alchies in my fam. :giggle:

It would have been a lonely affair w/o it. We had beer, wine, and champagne served and those who wanted something stronger could buy it.

We had an open bar. IMHO it's a $$$ thing. The open bar cost more than the food and I had a sit down dinner. My family and friends are still talking about how much fun my reception was 4 yrs later. It's the only open bar wedding I have even attended.

My friends (black couple) had alcohol. There was a line before the food was served. :giggle:

I plan on serving alcohol

No alcohol. We didn't want to spend the money and many of our guests weren't really drinkers anyway.

I also had an open bar. It was more $$$ but definitely worth it. Everyone had a good time and there were no sloppy drunks.

I'm watching Four Weddings on TLC and the black bride had an alcohol-free reception, just juice and water. The other brides (white) didn't like that. Now that I think about it, I've only been to weddings of other black people and they never served alcohol. Did you/will you serve alcohol at your wedding?

I'm glad you posted this, because I notice the same thing. But I've always thought that White people tend to have a more restrictive culture and need to get liquored up before they can do anything. I've only been to two weddings as an adult, both Black, and they were both "dry". Funny because they were very exuberant receptions. EVERYONE danced until they kicked us out. I remember being on a day cruise that only served mimosa and everyone was on the dance floor was Black, even though the cruise was like 75% White. :ohwell: Once again, not enough booze to get 'em going.

I don't plan on getting married again, but if I did, I would NOT have booze at my reception (if there was one - like the idea of a City Hall wedding). I don't like booze and can't stand to be around people who have been drinking.

I've never been to an alcohol-free wedding, but I have some friends of friends that have - mainly devout Christians.

I would definately serve alcohol at my wedding.

when I was married...we had two outdoor weddings..the first at our funky, DIY, barefoot, potluck, backyard NYC west village wedding for 30 or 40 closest friends...

my exhusband and I paid for that one..... broke open a case of champagne..that was a gift actually ..but we had beer:grin:

but at the formal garden wedding of 400 in California that my parents paid for ....NOPE..not one drop....there was a grape juice fountain or something....I didn't miss it.... but PLENTY of residual complaints from the inlaws:perplexed

Had beer and wine at my wedding..will again (when I get married again)
me too! even if I do two weddings again..lol:lachen:

Last edited:
Since I knew some heavy drinkers would be in attendance, and I didn't want to foot the bill for folks acting drunk and stupid, alcohol was restricted to a champagne toast.

I've been to a stupid amount of weddings and only 2 with no open bar and they were for black people. Now y'all are making me sad because I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't want people thinking I didn't because I'm black. I wouldn't do it because I am not a big drinker and even I act the fool with an open bar.

I was so drunk at a wedding I had to crawl to my hotel room. It was absolutely dreadful. But there were 14-18 year olds drunker than me. :nono:

Yes we did. We had are wedding and reception at the Trentadue Winery in Northern California and of course they had a list of wines that they make. We were able to taste and choose the ones we preferred for our reception.

I'm not much of a drinker (I drank one glass of wine at my reception and I couldn't stop giggling, lol...I was tipsy) but both of our families enjoy wine so this was perfect.

My cousin got married and didn't serve alcohol and though the reception was held at a restaurant with a bar, they didn't even allow people to bring purchased drinks into the reception room.

I respect their choice, but it was the quietest and boring reception I've ever attended. Most of the guests (especially the older people) spent a good amount of time out of the reception room and huddled in the restaurant's bar area. It didn't help that the bride was mean and testy during the entire thing.

If I was getting married and didn't drink and NO ONE invited didn't drink, that's a different story, but for the guest's sake, at least have a pay-your-own way bar area or provide wine and a champagne toast.

Have you noticed that Black Catholics are more likely to have alcohol at their weddings than their Baptist counterparts? That's something I'm starting to notice.

Probably because Catholics in general seem to be pro-alcohol versus the evangelical denominations (Baptist, Pentecostal, etc.)

Ethnic groups where folks are predominantly Catholic (Irish, Italian) have the stereotype of drinking like fish!!!

Probably because Catholics in general seem to be pro-alcohol versus the evangelical denominations (Baptist, Pentecostal, etc.)

Ethnic groups where folks are predominantly Catholic (Irish, Italian) have the stereotype of drinking like fish!!!
Once I went to this function on the grounds of a Catholic school/church and I went to the gym were beverages were being sold. They had a serious liquor collection. That bar could have rivaled any pub.

The irony.

Not sure why Catholics for the most part are so pro-alcohol..guess they took the whole water to wine and decided to run it to the ground.

I find it very odd when people claim they cant have fun without alcohol around. The leaders of "owanbe" dont need that to be crazy at parties, thankfully.

Last edited:
I find it very odd when people claim they cant have fun without alcohol around. The leaders of "owanbe" dont need that to be crazy at parties, thankfully.

What is "owanbe?"

The people I know who drink don't get crazy at parties or celebrations of any kind. I believe behavior like that speaks to a person's respect for themselves (or lack thereof) and lack of knowledge of their own personal limitations or demons.

In my mind, if a person can't handle some wine or beer as an adult at a grown party or event, open bar or not, then perhaps that person should refrain from attending or even be left off the guest list. :look:

I think there are ways to have fun and not drink sure, but most adults (unless for medical or religious observances), savior at least a glass of wine with dinner.

My understanding is that you give the reception for your guests. Even if the bride and groom don't drink, as host and hostess, the bride and groom should still offer choices, especially, if it's not a matter of finances.

Back