Did You/will You Serve Alcohol At Your Wedding?

Did you/will you serve alcohol at your wedding?

• Yes, I will/did serve alcohol.

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • No, I will not/did not serve alcohol.

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
NO alcohol?! I come from a VERY West Indian family... my father would be INSULTED if I didn't serve alcohol at the wedding, I wish I could hear his reaction LMBO at the thought! :lachen:

Not only will I be serving alcohol at my wedding, hopefully it will be opening bar :yep:

I've never been to a wedding w/o alcohol. We had an open bar but I have also been to weddings with just beer/wine. I've also been to weddings with a cash bar, but never a wedding with no liquor.

I sure did even though it was "suggested" to me that I not (by the congregation elders) And you know what? They were the ones getting the tipsiest and they had a great time!

Me & DH don't drink, but I thought about serving alcohol for the guests.

In the end, I didn't. That really would've made me nervous b/c there is some family that would possibly act a fool with too much alcohol in them, and then there's family that are very religious/clutches pearls ppl sooo:ohwell:

We didn't serve alcohol at our wedding because we didn't have a lot of money and I didn't want our alky relatives acting a fool at MY wedding reception. Didn't matter because they brought their own and hid it under the table. :rolleyes:

Have you noticed that Black Catholics are more likely to have alcohol at their weddings than their Baptist counterparts? That's something I'm starting to notice.

LOL, perhaps there's something to it. And DH is Latino so it's also a cultural thing to have drinks for the adults at parties/family celebrations.

I think a wedding should be a reflection of who you are, so yea I plan on having a party complete with spirits. I love being aroung folks were are merrily tipsy. Goodtimes...

DH & I drink, but we didn't have any alcohol at the wedding because everyone had to drive to and from the location.

there will be liquor. for those planning on drinking or just too tired to drive, I blocked a bunch of hotel rooms and rented a shuttle bus to take them from the reception straight to the hotel.

I almost forgot, on this episode of Four Weddings the white ladies complained that all of the dances at the black lady's wedding were "choreographed", referring to the electric slide :lol: They said if they had alcohol they probably would've gone out there and danced too.

This was my second time going down the isle which was in '07. I had my wedding early in the day 10:30, it was on a beach so we did more of a brunch type setting.

We did NOT do alcohol and we have heavy drinkers on both sides. There were two there at the wedding that it would have been absolutely disasterous if we allowed alcohol.

Me and hubby were paying for the wedding everyone INVITED got a gorgeous venue, incredible food and an enjoyable day. Even if we did allow alcohol the cost would have been over $1,000.00. :nono:

I had one person that was upset with me for not having alcohol (he was one of the alcoholics) I told him we had folks at the wedding who were alcoholics and we were not paying all this money to celebrate this day just for folks to have alcohol or have people lose their sobriety. That was not the cause or the reason for the event, sorry if you did not feel that way but the wedding and how we did it was not for you.

He backed down and said oh well I guess you are right.

My first wedding I was young and dumb and let my mother TELL me we had to have alcohol, she was directing the bar and it was a disaster! I vowed never again any wedding I was in charge of would there be alcohol.

I was responsible for my parents 50th, luckily it was in a venue where no alcohol was allowed. Everyone had a ball and no one went home drunk.

Last edited:
We had an open bar and champagne toasts. Two weeks b we went to a friends wedding. It was dry and so was the wedding. Folks were prepared though and had flasks in their cars. So,it meant they had people walking in and out.

Am I evil for saying that anyone I know that can hold their liquor simply won't be invited to my wedding? :look: I got a few cousins like that. And I don't care if they don't like it. I'll tell them straight up if they ask me too. They won't be embarrassing me and forcing me to have a reception of my choosing with people that can drink responsibly. Nope, they can stay at home with that mess.

Even though we didn't drink very often, my hubby and I had an open bar. That's part of a classy reception, IMO. I hate going to dry receptions. All the ones I've been to were pretty lame. They were filled with old people and little kids, so we left fairly early.

ETA: If Christians say it's wrong to have alcohol @ a reception, why did the host get Jesus to make them some more wine out of water? And the Bible says everyone was real happy, cuz Jesus made the "good stuff", lol

Last edited:
Lucky for you the venue allowed you to do that. Do you mind me asking how much was spent on alcohol for the reception?

Sorry , I never came back to the thread.

Girl, I've been married for 21 years. I forgot how much it was but I will say we had the top faves like 3 half Gallons of Bacardi, 3 half gallons of Absolute , 3 of Tanqueray, 2 Scotches , tequila, some wines, white and red and all the mixers and cold beer. It didn't cost us but a few hundred (probably 3-400 ) because we had a small reception.

If I had it to do over I really like the idea of 1 signature cocktail now.

As I type this I remembered that we had liquor left over and my non-supportive , jealous matron of honor and a friend decided they would split up the left-over liquor among themselves instead of taking it to my house. I was going on my honeymoon so I didn't pay them much attention.

Last edited:
we purchased our liquor at an outlet and labeled all of the bottles. at the end of the night we had someone collect and deliver them to our home. we saved lots of money and had great memories when we had an after dinner drink from one of the leftover bottles. IMO it was a great wedding!:yep:

I had an open bar. I had never heard of an alcohol free wedding until recently. Every wedding I have been in or attended had an open bar. I just assumed that was the norm.

Every dry event I've ever gone to ended early. No lie. I don't plan on having a wedding, but if I ever get bamboozled into one, we are getting our drank on... and I don't even like the taste of alcohol. I want people to lose their minds and have so much fun that they don't remember what happened the entire weekend.

Plus I like to use drunkard pics for blackmail.

We had an open tab bar. We paid for up to a certain amount of drinks for everyone and if it went over that amount then the guests had to pay. Fortunately we didn't have heavy drinkers so we didn't go over our pre-paid amount.

We like a reception we can party with the bride/groom, we don't necessarily need alcohol for that. But to each his own.

Yes, we definitely served it..we had wine, beer, and a few cocktails..it was not costly at all..

Yeah, I'm not expecting mine to be that costly. It will be a somewhat older crowd, and for the few alkies that might drink up about $40, there will be more that won't drink anything or have one glass of $6 wine.

I think it will be less expensive than we initially planned for.

One of my friends had an open bar at her wedding and another had a cash bar. I kind of think the cash bar thing is sort of tacky, but hey, it wasn't my wedding.

I personally do not want to have alcohol served at my wedding. I hate being around people who can't hold their liquor and I'm not willing to take a chance on that. Maybe some cider.

I can understand a partial cash bar. Like, if you want anything but wine or beer, you gotta go into the pockets. Hard liquor is expensive, so if you must have a Henny and coke, do what you gotta do.

I remember going to a reception at my boss' house years ago that was white liquor only. He had these amazing white carpets and did not PLAY. Some how we still found some brown liquor. He let us have it in the den on the low when he saw we had it. LOL!!!

Nah, we don't drink and we didn't have alcohol at our wedding. Our guests were not surprised. They knew us well enough to know we didn't get down like that.

Back