Did You/will You Serve Alcohol At Your Wedding?

Did you/will you serve alcohol at your wedding?

• Yes, I will/did serve alcohol.

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • No, I will not/did not serve alcohol.

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have you noticed that Black Catholics are more likely to have alcohol at their weddings than their Baptist counterparts? That's something I'm starting to notice.

Catholics still consume alcohol just like some baptists tend to. I have been to one christian non denomination wedding and there was only gospel music played and no alcohol served. Growing up Catholic, alcohol was never on a Don't do List. I want to say some of the events had at least beer.

Last edited:
Have you noticed that Black Catholics are more likely to have alcohol at their weddings than their Baptist counterparts? That's something I'm starting to notice.

:lol: Yes. On my side, black and Catholic, his side polish/irish/german Catholic--there was no way we weren't having (open bar) alcohol.

SO and I don't drink anymore. We gave it up for the New Year's. His family are big drinkers aka borderline alchies. We said we wouldn't have an open bar. I would do a cocktail hour while we are getting pics taken. I would have a signature drink, Beer, wine and maybe Vodka.

i had alcohol at my reception.

We had all the top shelf faves that we bought ourselves and we had a bartender to serve and monitor the consumption so that no one got messy. :ohwell:

i had alcohol at my reception.

We had all the top shelf faves that we bought ourselves and we had a bartender to serve and monitor the consumption so that no one got messy. :ohwell:

Lucky for you the venue allowed you to do that. Do you mind me asking how much was spent on alcohol for the reception?

I plan to.

I've never heard of a wedding reception NOT having alcohol.

This is what I'm thinking too! Who are these people having dry wedding receptions?!? :blush: That's even worse than having a cash bar, IMO. I understand if the couple is really religious or something, but if not, ummm... I don't know, in my circle of friends/family if you don't have an open bar at the reception, you're seen as being cheap. :look: I'll be having an open bar at my reception. That's part of the party!

Oh hell yeah ! The alcohol is a must :yep: ... it's the one thing I want to make sure is fitted properly in the budget, cause I want a small, classy, simple wedding.... But I want my guests to eat and drink well :grin:. We are there to have a good time.

I've never been to a wedding that served alcohol, but I will serve it at mine. :yep: No open bar though, but basic wine, beer and champagne and a signature cocktail (probably kir royale). But I'll have to have the bartender keep an eye on some people. I have some alchies in my fam. :giggle:

This is what we did too. Except the signature cocktail was something DH came up with. Nobody got drunk or crazy.

But if you don't want alcohol at your wedding there is nothing wrong with that.

You'll never get away with no alcohol in my family as we have heavy social drinkers. Even if it weren't your intention to serve alcohol some Aunt or Uncle would buy crates of the stuff anyway

ETA: I have been to weddings w/out alcohol although I don't mind it always makes the toast seem wierd to me. A toast with no champagne?!??!?!?!?!

Last edited:
The park my friend got married in and had the reception at was a no alcohol zone.

I would prefer to have my wedding/reception alcohol free unless my future husband really wanted it. I'd hate to have to give beat downs to people on my wedding day for acting a hot mess. I have a feeling blood doesn't wash out of wedding dresses very well. :brucelee: :bat:

We didn't have alcohol but that was mainly because our reception was in the church's banquet hall. No one seemed to mind and we all had a good time anyway.

To answer my own question, I probably won't serve alcohol at my wedding. I have one of THOSE families :look: My uncles and cousins would probably get drunk and act the fool.

Hijack Alert!
Bunny, you don't know me, but I'd also like to come ( I'm sure A LOT of LHCF sisters would love to be there to see our own relationship guru tie the knot) We are so happy for you and proud of you!

Carry on Ladies.

LOL @ everyone wanting to go to Bunny's wedding! :lol:

We'll have to have our own wedding reception here on that day...toasting in e-drinks and giving speeches. :D

yeah, we are definitely having open bar... hell i drink with his fam members on regular nights let alone at a wedding

my parents don't really drink and agree that it is a must

I drink. My DH doesn't really, so he probably would have been OK with no alcohol. I would not have been. Fortunately for me, our venue had a mandatory bar minimum, so we did a California bar (beer, wine, champagne)--my DH drew the line at hard alcohol.

I would have been disappointed at a totally dry wedding, especially since we had a cocktail hour. What would that have been without any alcohol at all? :lachen:

I want to have alcohol, but my mom says if there's alcohol she's not paying for it. I hope she's joking. :look:

I most definitely will. It sounds kinda lame to have a wedding reception with NO alcohol whatsoever. I mean not even wine???

Yes we served alcohol...but nothing too hard....champagne, beer, wine. sparkling apple juice for the minors ....

But guest bought us lots of liquor as gifts...we still have a stacked bar

If the couple has strong preferences against drinking, I don't see why it is such a big deal to not drink for a few hours.

We had an open bar. IMHO it's a $$$ thing. The open bar cost more than the food and I had a sit down dinner. My family and friends are still talking about how much fun my reception was 4 yrs later. It's the only open bar wedding I have even attended.

We had an open bar as well and a sit down dinner.. I dont think I wouldve wanted it any other way :drunk:

Nope..

I accomodated everyone for my baby shower... Not doing that for my wedding, it will be all about my fiance and I.

Yes we did. But I have been to weddings that did not. Its a personal preference type thing. Alcohol can add thousands to the price of a wedding too.

Back