Did ya'll see this list of stylist pet peeves?

I guess both parties have complaints :ohwell:

Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.

1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at home.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!

FYI: Hair Stylist Pet Peeves (shampoo, lip, salons, best) - Fashion and Beauty -clothes, shoes, hair care, skin care, makeup, designers... - City-Data Forum

LOL...those are funny.

I havent been to the salon in years so this is good information to know for my appointment with Reniece next week.

These are kinda funny and I agree with most of them! Its common courtesy to be on time and I wouldn't want to listen to someones screaming children or over the top phone conversations and who puts their feet up on someones station :lol:

LOL...those are funny.

I havent been to the salon in years so this is good information to know for my appointment with Reniece next week.

I can't wait to see results too!

Last edited:
Lol at the notion that they call to remind us of appointments and want us to extend the courtesy of calling if we need to cancel. I can't tell you how many times a stylist has left me hanging with no courtesy call extended to me. Where was MY call??

I must admit, I never really got the tipping thing. As much as I pay to get my hair done, I am not going to add 15%-20% extra, unless something remarkable happened while I was there. My stylist IS the owner.

My stylist books appts online. I couldn't find an open appt for me and my daughter. Before I made one appt, her online booker said that there were numerous appts available, but once I made the appt for one of us, it said no more appts were available. So I called her and asked that she give me a call to let me know if a time was available, otherwise, just my daughter would be getting her hair done. She never called and when I showed up for the appt and asked her why, she said, you told me to call if a time was available, one wasn't, so I didn't call you. There is no courtesy in that. I still go to her for mine and my daughter's trim(a flat iron and trim, I wash and blow dry at home), but this is a 1-2 times a year visit.

After all the horror stories I read on here, I think stylists deserve to get sued if they hack off too much hair!!! There should be some sort of consequence:perplexed

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

I do this but I tip incredibly well so it may be arrogant but my stylist will fit me in :yep:LOL she did my hair on thanksgiving day.:ohwell:
(Sorry D you know I love you and I know you love cash)

I must admit, I never really got the tipping thing. As much as I pay to get my hair done, I am not going to add 15%-20% extra, unless something remarkable happened while I was there. My stylist IS the owner.

My stylist books appts online. I couldn't find an open appt for me and my daughter. Before I made one appt, her online booker said that there were numerous appts available, but once I made the appt for one of us, it said no more appts were available. So I called her and asked that she give me a call to let me know if a time was available, otherwise, just my daughter would be getting her hair done. She never called and when I showed up for the appt and asked her why, she said, you told me to call if a time was available, one wasn't, so I didn't call you. There is no courtesy in that. I still go to her for mine and my daughter's trim(a flat iron and trim, I wash and blow dry at home), but this is a 1-2 times a year visit.

Why do we let ourselves be talked to and treated like this?
I haven't been to a salon since I was relaxed, shoot matter of fact since I was transtioning.

S/n u got the power to cut my hair and mess it ip on purpose, please believe I have the power to mess up your face and I won't hesitate. I don't play bout my hair. But then again I wouldn't just let anyone near my hair. No ma'am

Lol at the notion that they call to remind us of appointments and want us to extend the courtesy of calling if we need to cancel. I can't tell you how many times a stylist has left me hanging with no courtesy call extended to me. Where was MY call??

OMG! This happened to my daughter on Tuesday. It was a nine a.m. appt. and my daughter is not an early bird. She sent her two unanswered texts and 1/2 later sent a final text saying she was leaving. About 4 hours later stylist calls with the standard "family emergency" text and offers a free relaxer. Of course she went and the stylist also threw in a black rinse :ohwell: .

I always tip well but I guess it doesn't matter since I go to the salon once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG! This happened to my daughter on Tuesday. It was a nine a.m. appt. and my daughter is not an early bird. She sent her two unanswered texts and 1/2 later sent a final text saying she was leaving. About 4 hours later stylist calls with the standard "family emergency" text and offers a free relaxer. Of course she went and the stylist also threw in a black rinse :ohwell: .

That's exactly what I'm talking about and THIS its just one reason of many that I haven't stepped foot in a salon for 5 or 6 years and counting

Do I get a call when shes running late? NO! They just stick you in the waiting room and if you say anything they put you under the dryer with wet hair so you can't leave.......
And one lady I used to go to charged if you canceled with in 48 hours! How about I charge you?

Any job dealing with the public is going to have some stress and trife people in it. So I empathize there. :yep:

That said, I'll never allow another person to do my hair again, ever. DIY, Do or Die.

Do I get a call when shes running late? NO! They just stick you in the waiting room and if you say anything they put you under the dryer with wet hair so you can't leave.......
And one lady I used to go to charged if you canceled with in 48 hours! How about I charge you?

before joining lhcf I wouldn't have left either, but now, I wouldn't think twice about leaving, telling them I don't like something, and not paying or not paying full price. We as the customer do haver options, we don't have to just take any kind of treatment and then pay full price and tip. ***

This seems fair enough. I've only done #6 ("Would you mind double-checking with her please?") and she said yes. I always tip well and add onto that if it's last minute for some strange reason.

Oh, and I KNOW I move my head! I try not to...

Some of these things just sound like common human courtesy, but then again its been very few black stylist I've been to that know what professionalism is. That is why I haven't been inside of a beauty salon in over a year.

YES! That is such a dirty trick. A salon I used to visit would take care of you as soon as you walked in. They would get you to the WET phase, THEN they would hold you hostage for 3-4 hours. I hate salons. Hate them! I learned how to leave with wet hair too.

Those are all reasonable!

Mind you, these aren't for the hood salons where your beautician Shatawniqua is going to ask you to make a stop right quick before you come so you can bring her a beef patty and some coco bread and a pack of newports.

Those rules apply to a salon where it's an actual BUSINESS not BIDNISS. Just like the place I go to, no shenanigans :yep:

I guess both parties have complaints :ohwell:

Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.

1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at home.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!

FYI: Hair Stylist Pet Peeves (shampoo, lip, salons, best) - Fashion and Beauty -clothes, shoes, hair care, skin care, makeup, designers... - City-Data Forum

:rolleyes::rolleyes: @ the bolded due to my experiences at salons

ITA with the rest:yep:

I think the list is fair enough. It goes both ways...I have seen unprofessional stylists and I have seen uncouth customers.

For unprofessional stylists:
- Chewing, popping and SMACKING chewing gum like its going out of style.
- Answering their cell phone for EVERYTHING possible.
- Won't take walk-ins but scheduling appointments for 9 am and finishing THAT head at 5 PM. :nono:
- Getting into screaming matches with your spouse, SO or mate while working on a client.
- Not paying the rent so that YOU and your customers get set out on the parking lot at 11 am, wet heads and all.

Uncouth customers:
- Rifling through a stylist's station to find combs, brushes, etc to use on your rat trap hair.
- Dipping your fingers into products without asking.
- Walking in late and insisting that you get serviced cuz you are "in a hurry."

Its not always the ghetto shops either that you find stuff like this.

I think the list is fair enough. It goes both ways...I have seen unprofessional stylists and I have seen uncouth customers.

For unprofessional stylists:
- Chewing, popping and SMACKING chewing gum like its going out of style.
- Answering their cell phone for EVERYTHING possible.
- Won't take walk-ins but scheduling appointments for 9 am and finishing THAT head at 5 PM. :nono:
- Getting into screaming matches with your spouse, SO or mate while working on a client.
- Not paying the rent so that YOU and your customers get set out on the parking lot at 11 am, wet heads and all.

Uncouth customers:
- Rifling through a stylist's station to find combs, brushes, etc to use on your rat trap hair.
- Dipping your fingers into products without asking.
- Walking in late and insisting that you get serviced cuz you are "in a hurry."

Its not always the ghetto shops either that you find stuff like this.
omg at the bold!!!:lachen::lol::lachen:

Back