Did something a little unorthodox last night

gymfreak336

Well, I have a friend of mine that has very nice apl hair. She is four weeks post and you would NEVER EVA know it. No blow outs but she did say she flat irons her newgrowth but from the looks of how straight it was I was guess she had to be using the highest heat possible. She promised me she didn't and offered to do mine. I am four weeks post and I have a couple of areas that are really thick. She led me to my beloved pantene mask so I trusted her judgement so off I went to her house with my shower comb and shower cap.

She washed me with pantene and we used the breakage defense mask for aroung 20 minutes with heat. Then we rollerset and around an hour and half I am dry. This is where it gets interesting. She pulls out chi silk infusion and garnier hair spray:eek: When I saw the chi, I was cool but hairspray.....:perplexed :nono: She promised me that it would be fine (she is 4b as well) so I said just do one section and then we will see. So, she started in the back and combed through one whole layer of curls. Then see ran some chi on my hair, mostly on the roots. Then she sprayed a little hairspray on her fingers and rubbed it only on my roots. I was thinking she was going to spray me but she explained that most of the alcohol evaporates so if you spray it on your fingers, less gets in your hair. At this point I am listening a little more so she keeps going. I feel the back of my hair and it wasn't wet or anything. She uses a really small flat iron on level 3 out of level 20 and runs it over the new growth, slightly pulling it down. She does this throughout my whole head and wraps it up. I go home and go to sleep. I am still a little nervous because I didn't see it yet but she did such a good job wrapping it up I decide to wait till morning.

So I unwrapped this morning and fingercombed down and :eek: :grin: , my hair is straight. My roots look like they do when I am 1-2 weeks post. My hair still feels moist and my ends are not dried out. I am extremely excited. As far as me doing this myself or on a regular basis, time will only tell. I do plan on monitoring my hair over the next couple of days until my next wash to see if I see any ill effects but so far so good. She did say that when she does this, she tries to go atleast a week between washes and she will air dry her hair before beginning the flat ironing process. I might try this on my really thick parts as I progress in my relaxer stretch. Who knows, maybe one day I could make it four months.

preciousjewel76 said:
Very! I hadn't heard of this before. I wonder what the benefit of using the hair spray was supposed to be?

Well, my guess it that the holding agents in hairspray help lock the "straightness" of the newgrowth in when you flat iron it. I think that especially with the hairsprays with "flexiblity" like the garnier one, these agents combined with heat help stretch the new growth out and lock it into shape. By not spraying directly, you greatly reduce the amount of "bad" stuff found in hairspray from getting on your hair. She really didn't use a ton of it.

I've heard this done before in salons, but you should keep us posted, Gym. Especially since you workout a lot. Please let us know how this is working for you. Good luck!;)

This soounds wonderful... and you say she did blow it out first. WOW.. Keep us updated on the the effects later.

I am really enjoying my hair right now. I cross wrapped last night and rubbed a little ors olive oil cream on the ends. My fingered combed this morning and I didn't lose any hairs. I am really monitoring my moisture levels so I can see what long term effects this might have. I am going to wait another 4 days to wash. If everything seems okay when I wash I might do this every other wash when I start to get alot of new growth.

***sits down with note pad, pen and a protein shake***

Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye on your results. I hope it works out well!!

Vixx

Interesting, when I went to get a dominican blowout last Thursday, the stylist spray a little Mizani hairspray in my hair and flat ironed it. This was post deep conditioning, rollersetting and drying. My hair is still very straight as of now(a week later)...I may try this on my next wash..

I have not relaxed my hair since June of last year and I get my hair straight with a similar method. I use warm olive oil for pre-poo, then roller set using mesh rollers and lotta body. I then flat iron with a ceramic iron and fantasia IC heat protectant. My hair stays straight for a week (or longer if I didn't feel the need to wash it). I think the lotta body has something to do with it although I don't use hair spray. I hardly wear my hair down but when I do I use this method and it works great. It's a lot of work but I haven't blow dried my hair since I last relaxed last June and my hair is a lot healthier. Next time I do this, I am going to update my fotki with the pictures. I'm able to get my hair even straighter and less frizzy than I was when I kept a fresh relaxer and it still has body and comes out shiny unlike when I used to blow dry all the time.

Honestly, i am more impressed by you actually letting her do your hair to begin with. That's so nice of you, cause you got some gorgeous long tresses goin on. I'm guessing you were kinda reluctant? What was going on in your mind?

growwithme said:
I have not relaxed my hair since June of last year and I get my hair straight with a similar method. I use warm olive oil for pre-poo, then roller set using mesh rollers and lotta body. I then flat iron with a ceramic iron and fantasia IC heat protectant. My hair stays straight for a week (or longer if I didn't feel the need to wash it). I think the lotta body has something to do with it although I don't use hair spray. I hardly wear my hair down but when I do I use this method and it works great. It's a lot of work but I haven't blow dried my hair since I last relaxed last June and my hair is a lot healthier. Next time I do this, I am going to update my fotki with the pictures. I'm able to get my hair even straighter and less frizzy than I was when I kept a fresh relaxer and it still has body and comes out shiny unlike when I used to blow dry all the time.

Yeah, I think the lottabody helps lock in the straightness. I am really loving this method.

I just did this on a small section of hair...is it supposed to Snap-crackle-pop like it did on my hair?

oobrittany said:
I just did this on a small section of hair...is it supposed to Snap-crackle-pop like it did on my hair?
No it shouldn't. Give it a couple of secs for the hairspray to dry before you use the flat iron. Also, just use a little bit.

Well, I have a friend of mine that has very nice apl hair. She is four weeks post and you would NEVER EVA know it. No blow outs but she did say she flat irons her newgrowth but from the looks of how straight it was I was guess she had to be using the highest heat possible. She promised me she didn't and offered to do mine. I am four weeks post and I have a couple of areas that are really thick. She led me to my beloved pantene mask so I trusted her judgement so off I went to her house with my shower comb and shower cap.

She washed me with pantene and we used the breakage defense mask for aroung 20 minutes with heat. Then we rollerset and around an hour and half I am dry. This is where it gets interesting. She pulls out chi silk infusion and garnier hair spray:eek: When I saw the chi, I was cool but hairspray.....:perplexed :nono: She promised me that it would be fine (she is 4b as well) so I said just do one section and then we will see. So, she started in the back and combed through one whole layer of curls. Then see ran some chi on my hair, mostly on the roots. Then she sprayed a little hairspray on her fingers and rubbed it only on my roots. I was thinking she was going to spray me but she explained that most of the alcohol evaporates so if you spray it on your fingers, less gets in your hair. At this point I am listening a little more so she keeps going. I feel the back of my hair and it wasn't wet or anything. She uses a really small flat iron on level 3 out of level 20 and runs it over the new growth, slightly pulling it down. She does this throughout my whole head and wraps it up. I go home and go to sleep. I am still a little nervous because I didn't see it yet but she did such a good job wrapping it up I decide to wait till morning.

So I unwrapped this morning and fingercombed down and :eek: :grin: , my hair is straight. My roots look like they do when I am 1-2 weeks post. My hair still feels moist and my ends are not dried out. I am extremely excited. As far as me doing this myself or on a regular basis, time will only tell. I do plan on monitoring my hair over the next couple of days until my next wash to see if I see any ill effects but so far so good. She did say that when she does this, she tries to go atleast a week between washes and she will air dry her hair before beginning the flat ironing process. I might try this on my really thick parts as I progress in my relaxer stretch. Who knows, maybe one day I could make it four months.

Do you know which Garnier hair spray your friend used? There are a couple of different ones. Did the hair spray leave your roots hard? I want my hair to be flexible amd bouncy.

I'm going to do this with Mizani Thermasmooth so my hair can really look relaxed. I want to wear my hair straight for Thanksgiving, and I don't trust no Dominican with my 5-month post hair, cause they will tear through it.

Do you know which Garnier hair spray your friend used? There are a couple of different ones. Did the hair spray leave your roots hard? I want my hair to be flexible amd bouncy.

I'm going to do this with Mizani Thermasmooth so my hair can really look relaxed. I want to wear my hair straight for Thanksgiving, and I don't trust no Dominican with my 5-month post hair, cause they will tear through it.

It was the sleek and shine hairspray. Let me know how the thermasmooth works out.

Hmmm, your friend sounds like she could be a board member. Pantene mask, airdrying, low heat setting, flat-ironing roots only, nice apl hair.....:scratchch

You're really brave, girl. I would be so nervous letting a non-professional do my hair & with a flat-iron, no less. I'm glad you're hair turned out nice! :)

Was it oil sheen or old fashioned hair spray? Like the kind that gets hard? My hair dresser uses a little Mizani oil sheen on each section before he flat irons it and it comes out nice and smooth. Only a little bit though. I can't tell when I touch my hair afterwards that it's in there.

That sounds like a great technique! :yep:

The only thing I would change
would be the hair spray for some
strong setting lotion like Lacio Lacio.

Keisha, this is what I did with the thermasmooth. I thought thats what you were supposed to do (my old stylist used to use keracare silk n seal in the spray version this way so I thought the thermasmooth spray was similar)...it turned out really well u just cant use too much of the spray stuff. I would spritz each section only 1 spray, comb thru, and flat iron. It made it very silky and shiny.

Hmmm, your friend sounds like she could be a board member. Pantene mask, airdrying, low heat setting, flat-ironing roots only, nice apl hair.....:scratchch

You're really brave, girl. I would be so nervous letting a non-professional do my hair & with a flat-iron, no less. I'm glad you're hair turned out nice! :)

:lachen: I saw her last week and she had some bantus in her hair. She took them down before we went to eat and :eek: Her hair has grown so much. She is transistioning and is doing this every other week to help her along. One the other weeks she sets her hair on flexirods.

Back