Developing a Direct Heat Regimen

Hey ladies!

I know the information I am seeking from this post might go against one of our LHCF commandments, but please bear with me!

I am coming up on a stretch of about 2 months where I have decided to wear my hair straight the majority of the time. I plan on getting a wash and set at the salon once a week and maintaining the straight look on my own in between visits. I cannot go longer than this without the feel of warm water on my head!

I DO NOT know how to wrap- I have tried many times and failed miserably. There is always this huge puff of hair in the middle with nowhere to "fit" into the wrap. Rollersetting, even dry rollersetting, takes me so long and the curls are never as loose/bouncy as I would like them to be. Additionally, I just do not like sleeping in rollers on a regular basis.

This is where the direct heat comes in...

I am relatively good with my curling iron, and I intend to use it frequently over the upcoming weeks (at least three times a week, depending on if I can get the curls to hold up for two days at a time).

Please, please think back to your frequent heat days (I know, I know, they are supposed to be a thing of the distant past!
laugh.gif
).

What products did you use (i.e., heat protectants, oil-based "moisturizers")?

What heating tools were you using?

Did you use any kind of holding/finishing spray?

Did you develop any techniques to maintain the curls overnight?

Please include any additional advice/tips not covered by these questions! Thanks!

Have you ever tried to wrap your hair, but put one or two large rollers at the crown and then wrap your hair around that? It should help with that "extra hair" problem--I use to have the same issue when I was relaxed.

I only say this because if you could maintain a straight style that way--it would be best...

A curling iron used three times a week is not healthy for your hair no matter how much heat protectant you slap on it. It may take longer, but you will see the damage sooner or later. Once a week is fine, though.

I agree that using rollers (1-3) in the middle can cut down the pouf. Put the hair in rollers first, then wrap hair as normal. In time, you'll get used to it and you'll be able to do it without the rollers.

Back when I used to get a Dominican blow out once a week (I may pick this up again), I would wrap daily and my hair would be fine. If you just have to have a little curl and bounce on your ends, steam rollers are much better for your hair than a curling iron. I would recommend the Vidal Sassoon Ionic Steam rollers, which is what I use.

To answer your other questions:

What products did you use (i.e., heat protectants, oil-based "moisturizers")?
shampoo: Dabur Vatika Henna Cream Conditioning
conditioner: Pantene Daily Moisture Renweal
leave-in: Salerm 21
sheen spray: Motions or Olive oil (green can) sheen spray

What heating tools were you using?
The regular Dominican blow out tools used after a rollerset: blow dryer and curling iron

Did you use any kind of holding/finishing spray?
No. These products don't agree with my hair in any situation.

Did you develop any techniques to maintain the curls overnight?
I just wrapped my hair and the curl would last for 3-4 days.

I've never been a frequent heat user, but I have a friend who is, and I have found that I cannot tear her away from the heat, so have made the following suggestions, and she says they are helping her hair.

Loosely rolled Satin covered rollers at night
Steam rollers
Ceramic irons, limited to twice weekly, one of which is after a deep conditioner
Oil on the ends daily

HTH
smile.gif

I barely had any hair when I used heat a lot but back then I was doing it on dirty hair without a protectant....ouch. I feel like my hair is getting healthy now, but when I break down and bring out the blow dryer and whatnot, even with protectants there is still hair all over the place. Im not comfortable with losing all that hair on the floor and in the sink...so when I do it its enough to turn me off from heat for a long while.

If I do use heat now, its only under the dryer, and sometimes I use ionic hot rollers. the steam ones dont work for me in FL humidity. I also have a CHI turbo ceramic iron but I havent gotten flat ironing down pat yet so Ive only done it a few times.

If u really must use heat appliances, I suggest using ceramic only since its least damaging. Serums make fairly good heat protectants...I use straight request hair polish which is comparable to keracare silk n seal but its more concentrated...and many like biosilk silk therapy which I plan to try next.

Instead of using it 3 or more times a week, how about rolling your hair for at least a few hours in the evening before bed and then taking them out and sleeping in a bonnet to maintain them overnight.

oh yeah, as far as wrapping, I want u to know if *I* can learn to wrap, anyone can. I have zero hair skills which is one reason Im becoming really comfortable with protective styles...they are simple and easy...lol.

If u comb all your hair above the crown forward and down to where all your hair is around your face like a bowl, then make a side part at about the outside of your eyebrow, and start wrapping there, its easier. if u comb the hair in the back down and around instead of up and around it shouldnt give u that cone thing at the top. I do it first with a wide tooth comb and then go over it with a skinny one. just practice it or get them to show u at the salon, u will pick it up eventually.

my problem is my hair doesnt like to get that bend to it unless it was previously bent under already via rollerset or flat iron. if I just wrap my hair and take it down after airdrying, it looks like it was never wrapped.

OshunCurls, I would try:
1. Using a roller or two in the crown like others have suggested and try wrapping again. Somebody has a good series of pics of this in their album...I can't remember who it is...anybody remember? Was it allandra? Anyway, I can't wrap or rollerset to save my life either so I feel your pain.

2. What about a bantu/pincurl set? There are some ladies that do this regularly. I know at least a couple have step-by-step instructions in their albums. I know SouthernGirl does and there's someone else...my mind is drawing a blank again. Anyway, it looks really cute and you won't need the curling iron
smile.gif

I'm on a "direct heat" regimen myself--blowdrying once a week. I don't really wear my hair out but I do want to learn how to do a nice bantu set just in case.

I use profectiv long n healthy as a moisturizer because it is not water based and my blowdry lasts all week when I use it. I think if you plan to wear your hair out, I would apply something like the profectiv at night when wrapping or putting in the pin curls. You really only need a TINY bit of this moisturizer because it is concetrated and it's easy to use too much. But trust me, once you get the amount down, it'll work wonders. Or at least it does for me
laugh.gif

Well I know that heat (direct) styling alot isn't good for your hair but i heat style my hair often and my hair do not shed and it is really healthy. My hair use to be 3 inches from bra strap but i cut it because i got tired of pulling my hair back in uniform but now i am growing my hair back out from my earlength bob. Anyway i workout alot and i will be using heat until my hair grow out long enough for at least a phony pony eventhough i don't like pulling my hair back i want to see how long my hair will grow. Like with anything else (relaxers, color, daily styling, etc) you need to make sure you are properly conditioning your hair and find a regimine that will help YOU (different things work for different people) keep your hair as healthy as possible no matter if you are heat styling are wearing a protective style. I deep condition alot to prevent damage and i don't blow dry i wrap my hair and let it dry overnight and in the morning i use wild growth oil and carol's daughter healthy hair butter to moisturize my hair (this is very important also) but if i am short on time i sit under a warm dryer. Then i use the lowest setting possible to flat iron my hair. When i don't work out i don't use heat or i wear a braid/twist out. With the wrap I just moisturize and wrap at night and the next morning comb it out. The only time my hair ever shedded and broke off was when i was using no lye relaxers and color but other than that my hair grows healthy. I think that improper heat styling (using heat on dirty hair, using too high of a heat setting, not using protectants, not conditioning and moisturized the hair and the ends, etc) will eventually cause breakage and damage just like overlapping relaxer and/or color applications, not conditioning hair, wearing styles such as braids and weaves and not taking care of you hair while wearing these styles. So whatever you decide to do just remember to moisturize, condition, and be as gentle as possible with you hair. Oh yeah if you can't wrap your hair just detangle after shampooing and conditioning with a wide tooth comb (i use the bone comb) combing straight down and put on a wrap cap (the one with the holes) and make sure that you put leave in on your hair ( I wrap my hair with infusium and paul mitchell the conditioner which is very moisturizing) and let you hair air dry or sit under a warm dryer or let it dry in a ponytail if you hair is long enough. Good luck with your regimen.

Thank you soooo much for your help ladies!

You know you are dealing with family when people try to talk you out of potentially harmful actions during your moments of weakness.

@ MC: I will try the rollers at the crown technique tonight- I am just so frustrated when it comes to wrapping!
mad.gif
I thought it would be easier with the tex, but over time I feel like it is wearing off or something! Do you have this problem? I would really like to keep it straight w/out heat, but there is so much natural character left that my hair will still poof in a heartbeat.

@ Boadicea: Thanks for the recs! How exactly do steam rollers work? I would like to go to the Dominican salon, but it is so far that I would probably get tired of making the trek. The lady I am going to now is very convenient, but her skills are not the greatest when it comes to a wash and set, so I have to doctor her work up when I get back home
frown.gif

@ dreemssold: Heat CAN be so addictive! I think at the moment I just like the LOOK of fresh, "curling iron" curls! I have not styled my hair this way in sooooo long. My curling iron is a ceramic ConAir- certainly not a Chi, but it does make me feel a little better about using heat. I really have to investigate these steam rollers now, as both you and Boadicea have mentioned them...
scratchchin.gif
Do they do an exceptionally good job of locking in the curl?

@ Leslie_C: I am REALLY feeling your idea of leaving the rollers in until I go to bed. During the week I am usually in by about 7 pm, and I don't got to bed until about 1 am, so that might be enough time for the curl to set without me having to sleep in them overnight. Then I would just take the rollers out and not separate the curls until the morning...I will have to experiment with this. Thanks!
smile.gif

@ BC: Doesn't it almost feel like a handicap not to be able to wrap?
laugh.gif
I will definitely try profectiv
smile.gif
- my mom uses some of their products and she is really satisfied with them. I am glad I am not the only one using heat- how has your hair been holding up with the weekly blowdrying? I like the look of bantu/pincurl sets, but I am really going for the straight-almost-all-the-way-the-ends-with-a-Shirley-Templesque-curl-at-the-bottom-that-by-the-end-of-the-day-loosens-into-a-lazy-wave-look
laugh.gif
Maybe it will just be easier to post pics, although I have no digicam at the moment!

@ cheri_flava74: Hi!
wave.gif
Thank you for all the tips! I hear you on the deep conditioning- I was thinking that I would actually deep condition on my own, like the night before I go to the salon. I feel like they never condition long enough to really benefit the hair. Question: Are you saying that you sometimes wrap your hair when it is wet, after applying all your moisturizers? How straight does the hair get? I might actually try this in conjunction with the rollers at the crown because my hair is easier to manage when it is wet.

Wow- I have so many options/experiments for the next few days. You ladies are truly awesome!
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
@ Boadicea: Thanks for the recs! How exactly do steam rollers work? I would like to go to the Dominican salon, but it is so far that I would probably get tired of making the trek. The lady I am going to now is very convenient, but her skills are not the greatest when it comes to a wash and set, so I have to doctor her work up when I get back home
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For mine, you pour cold water in the basin up to the line (which is a little less than half way) andm plug in the steamer and place the top on. On the top is a black pole to hold the rollers.

In about a minute's time, steam will begin to rise around the pole (if you have it on the ion setting, you will hear a clicking noise).

You place a roller (small, medium or large) on the pole and what for a specified number of seconds depending on your hair's texture (fine, medium, thick) as per instructions in the included booklet.

I usually wait for 5-8 seconds. If you wait a little longer, just shake the roller before you apply it to your hair. After I roll my hair, I place the roller's cover on the steamer for a couple of seconds (1-3)and then clip it over the roller.

I usually leave the rollers on for 10-15 minutes before taking them down.

HTH!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
@ cheri_flava74: Hi!
wave.gif
Thank you for all the tips! I hear you on the deep conditioning- I was thinking that I would actually deep condition on my own, like the night before I go to the salon. I feel like they never condition long enough to really benefit the hair. Question: Are you saying that you sometimes wrap your hair when it is wet, after applying all your moisturizers? How straight does the hair get? I might actually try this in conjunction with the rollers at the crown because my hair is easier to manage when it is wet.

Yes if i wash and condition my hair at night i wrap my hair wet and let it airdry but whether my hair is wet or dry i always wrap my hair. I don't but anything on my wet hair as far as oil or moisturizers until it is dry.

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
Thank you soooo much for your help ladies!

You know you are dealing with family when people try to talk you out of potentially harmful actions during your moments of weakness.

@ MC: I will try the rollers at the crown technique tonight- I am just so frustrated when it comes to wrapping!
mad.gif
I thought it would be easier with the tex, but over time I feel like it is wearing off or something! Do you have this problem? I would really like to keep it straight w/out heat, but there is so much natural character left that my hair will still poof in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like the texturizer is "wearing off"...when I wear my hair in the wash-n-go for extended periods of time, it's like my hair gets curlier/bushier more and more. I've found that at least once a week altering the texture via rollerset, rollerwrap, or flat iron seems to put it back in check.
wink.gif
I usually roller set my hair once a week and that keeps the texturizer "working"....but I still wouldn't recommend any direct heat styling more than once a week.

check out kitchen_tician's hair-tine in her album! she uses direct heat every 2 weeks without problems.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like the texturizer is "wearing off"...when I wear my hair in the wash-n-go for extended periods of time, it's like my hair gets curlier/bushier more and more. I've found that at least once a week altering the texture via rollerset, rollerwrap, or flat iron seems to put it back in check.
wink.gif
I usually roller set my hair once a week and that keeps the texturizer "working"....but I still wouldn't recommend any direct heat styling more than once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad I am not alone on this! I have been wearing a wash n' go basically every day since I got it done in July, and I definitely think this routine has diminished the effect of the texturizer. Do you ever run the relaxer through the entire length of your hair when you touch-up?

On a happy note: I've decided to back away from the heat
laugh.gif
. I'm going to go to the convenient stylist to get my hair about 90% straight via wash and set once a week and then I'll do a bantu knot set when I get home to get the final look. I did my first one on Saturday and it turned out sooo well! The waves are loosening only a little each day, so I think I will be able to keep this for at least a week
smile.gif
. I also consider it a protective style because I do not have to manipulate my hair at all after it's set.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
check out kitchen_tician's hair-tine in her album! she uses direct heat every 2 weeks without problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Poohbear! It's good to "see" you- how's your hair?

Back