Detangling After Braids...crazy!!!!!

syze6

So I finally took all my individual braids down. I had them in for 8 weeks. It took me 4 days to finish which was Thursday last week. I detangled with my fingers and then detangling brush. I decided shampoo with clarifying followed up with moisturizing shampoo. I conditioned and left conditioner on overnight. So I found myself detangling again because it seems some parts have matted together. I swear I can carefully detangle a section and remove the knots. I can move on to another section, only to go back and find the detangled section tangled again. I am not going crazy, it seems the hair knots are tangled up again. Lord...I want to rip my hair out!!!!!!

Last edited:
Maybe after you detangle go back through it with a narrower tooth comb. Then braid that section so you aren’t combing it again and again. Maybe the clarifying shampoo was too drying when you really needed extreme moisture for slippage? Seems like following up with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner should’ve been enough though. Hopefully an expert will weigh in on this.

I agree with @Black Ambrosia. Detangle full of conditioner with something like a Denman brush, something with a lot of bristles somewhat close together, and immediately braid the section when you are done with it. Adding some oil while detangling and before braiding can help slide out extra shed hairs and prevent it from tangling again. You may need to let your hair 'rest' for a few days. I find after having braids, it takes my hair two weeks (and that's with daily cowashing) to behave normally again.

I always detangle with oil first. and then use my paddle brush after I've finger detangled with the oil. Then I put my hair in 4 sections and use a detangler. QB Cocoa tree detangling ghee or something super slippery. an old conditioner warmed up with a little oil. Then I finger detangle that in and put it back into a ponytail section and move on to the next. THEN I wash my hair section by section.

After all of that I go on to my next steps with my final detangle into big twists to dry. Any time you protective long term , expect shedding and put off actual washing with a harsh or clarifying shampoo until you've at least detangled fully.

Before removing DD's box braids last week I saturated each braid with some of this stuff. I sectioned her hair off in quarters, after each quarter was removed I used a comb to detangle and detangling was a breeze.

http://www.murrayspomade.com/Murray-Spray-Unlock
spray-unlock-500x500.jpg

Back