Dense, Fine-Haired Ladies, What is your regimen?

prettygrl

My hair looks very thick, I have a lot of individual strands. But when you look at the strands closely they are very, very fine. I'm still trying to develop a regimen.

I know less is more, when it comes to my hair, but I would love to hear other women with the same hair type share their secrets~

My regimen right now is:

Wash my hair when ever it feels dry (usu condition wash with Jason's Jojoba Conditioner or Mane and Tail)

Leave in; Giovanni Direct
While hair is still wet oil scalp with WGO...

I try not to use heat, frequently. I usu. air dry., but once it's dry I don't try to comb through it!

What do you do?

Currently I wash once a week with Natures Gate Jojoba shampoo and conditioner. I rollerset and either air dry or go under the dryer...I never use a blow dryer. I am looking for opinions on this myself....I hope you get some more answers

Stretching relaxers has helped tremendously b/c it's so easy for this type of hair to get overprocessed. It leaves the strands with more bulk. Also, protective styles and only combing in the shower w/ conditioner in my hair or if my hair is DONE.

Mahalialee4 said:
and how is that working for you prettyrl? Are you getting results that you want?

so far so good. I am just now getting over some major breakage I got last year, when my hair was over processed.
B/C my hair looks thick a lot of styltist think they need to keep the relaxer on for a long time, but my hair relaxes really easily.

Do you have fine hair Mahalialee4?

Any other responses?

TIA...

I have fine hair that medium density. The key to my regimen is simplicity and moisture. Now that I'm wearing a chignon everyday (not for protection but convenience), I use moisturizer and leave-in conditioner daily. When I'm wearing my hair down I use products as needed to keep my hair light and bouncy. These are the products that I use:

1. CON shampoo for fine hair
2. Motions CPR mixed with moisture plus; Queen Helene cholesterol (oldy but goody for moisture)
3. Aphogee Leave-in (after shampoo only); Elasta QP H-two leave-in for everyday use (leaves my hair soft and pliable).
4. Profectiv Breakfree--the rock of my regimen. Keeps my hair very well moisturized without weighing it down, if used in moderation. I also use it along with Elasta to slick down my edges for a neat look with my chignon. When wearing my hair down, I use it at night so that it will soak in by morning.

I shampoo or CW weekly and I'm currently airdrying to minimize manipulation. This very cheap and simple regimen had helped to revive my hair. It's growing steadily and not breaking. I haven't updated my album in almost a year, but I will soon.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Stretching relaxers has helped tremendously b/c it's so easy for this type of hair to get overprocessed.

Thank you!!!! I thought it was just me at first but I found out that fine hair (often porous too) is very susceptible to overprocessing.

I was putting perm in my sister in law's hair. I think she left that stuff in for at least a half hour (really she did) and her hair came out shiny and straight!

She has nice hair (she's Hatian) but it is coarse. My natural hair is extremely soft and fine but its dense. My sister has the same problem. You can't work with it sometimes!!!!

My hair thrives with less heat, more moisture and >3 months between perms. The conditioners that work the best are the smoothing ones.

Bumping for replies...

My hair is fine and dense and being a newcomer, I'm having a difficult time creating a simple regimen. My hair is pretty resilient but it's dry. I'm having a hard time figuring out how often to increase moisture without weighing my hair down. On top of that, I get product buildup very easily (due to the density of my hair) so I can't just keep adding gunk everday.

Any suggestions? TIA!!

Copied from my fotki:

This is my haircare journal. I have mostly 3b w/ some 4b in the back. I have very dense hair, but it's fine/medium so it gets weighed down pretty easily. My final length goal is APL. I firmly believe in health over length!

Here is my current regimen:

-----Monday-----
DC on dry hair under dryer for 30-40 mins with ORS Replenish + Silk Amino Acids
Use Dudleys PCA leavein or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave In
Seal w/ Spectrum coconut oil
Rewet each section with diluted lottabody
Flexi Rod set under dryer or airdry
(If I'm feeling too lazy to do a flexi set, I do what I call my Wash n Go ponytail. I'll tie my hair into a low ponytail and put a roller on the ponytail. The next morning, the ponytail part is never fully dry, so when I take out the roller and finger it out, it dries in little ringlets. Then I'll get a cute clip and just clip my hair up and keep it movin!)

-----Friday-----
DC on dry hair under dryer for 30-40 mins w/ ORS Hair Mayo+Hyrdolyzed Wheat Protein OR Aubreys GBP
Shampoo w/ Aveda DR or Nexxus Silktress
Use Nexxus Hyrdasleek for 5 mins, rinse
Use Dudleys PCA Leave in, Seal w/ Coconut Oil
Wrap under dryer (blowdry after 7 weeks post, use Aveda USC as heat protectant)
Flat Iron

Moisturize as needed w/ Elasta QP Oil Recovery +Marine Collagen or
Kenra MC Conditioner. Seal w/ Coconut Oil

I self-relax as needed, no less than 9 weeks. Still trying to find the 'perfect' relaxer.

Bumping for replies...

My hair is fine and dense and being a newcomer, I'm having a difficult time creating a simple regimen. My hair is pretty resilient but it's dry. I'm having a hard time figuring out how often to increase moisture without weighing my hair down. On top of that, I get product buildup very easily (due to the density of my hair) so I can't just keep adding gunk everday.

Any suggestions? TIA!!

What works for me is washing and deep conditioning 2x a week. For Shampoo I like Keracare Hydrating or Elasta QP for Relaxed hair. I combine a moisturizing conditioner (ORS replenishing pak or Keracare Humecto) with Roux Porosity control each time and apply all over and throughout. From my ears to the ends of my hair I apply a protein conditioner like Aphogee 2min Reconstructor. I apply heat by covering my hair with a wet turban towel and a plastic bag. Then I sit under a soft bonnet dryer for 15 minutes. Let it cool for 10 more minutes and then rinse.

I like to use a liquid leave-in (Razac Leave-in) first to detangle my hair. I mix a small amount of a creamy leave-in (Design Essentials or Salerm 21), serum, and coconut oil. This is my version of "moisturizer".

My hair doesn't tolerate moisturizer very well after it is dry. It usually jsut makes it limp. So I apply all products to wet hair. Then I either rollerset or airdry in a bun.

I relax between 10-12 weeks using a mild lye relaxer only.

Copied from my fotki:

This is my haircare journal. I have mostly 3b w/ some 4b in the back. I have very dense hair, but it's fine/medium so it gets weighed down pretty easily. My final length goal is APL. I firmly believe in health over length!

Here is my current regimen:

-----Monday-----
DC on dry hair under dryer for 30-40 mins with ORS Replenish + Silk Amino Acids
Use Dudleys PCA leavein or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave In
Seal w/ Spectrum coconut oil
Rewet each section with diluted lottabody
Flexi Rod set under dryer or airdry
(If I'm feeling too lazy to do a flexi set, I do what I call my Wash n Go ponytail. I'll tie my hair into a low ponytail and put a roller on the ponytail. The next morning, the ponytail part is never fully dry, so when I take out the roller and finger it out, it dries in little ringlets. Then I'll get a cute clip and just clip my hair up and keep it movin!)

-----Friday-----
DC on dry hair under dryer for 30-40 mins w/ ORS Hair Mayo+Hyrdolyzed Wheat Protein OR Aubreys GBP
Shampoo w/ Aveda DR or Nexxus Silktress
Use Nexxus Hyrdasleek for 5 mins, rinse
Use Dudleys PCA Leave in, Seal w/ Coconut Oil
Wrap under dryer (blowdry after 7 weeks post, use Aveda USC as heat protectant)
Flat Iron

Moisturize as needed w/ Elasta QP Oil Recovery +Marine Collagen or
Kenra MC Conditioner. Seal w/ Coconut Oil

I self-relax as needed, no less than 9 weeks. Still trying to find the 'perfect' relaxer.

Kels823, thanks! I looked at your fotki...you've had some good growth! I'm loving the curly sponge roller set. Your hair pics from Jan 08 were good too. Thanks for posting this info...our hair textures are very similar. I also use a few of the same products already (Spectrum Coconut Oil, ORS Mayo & Replenish...). What brand SAA do you use?

What works for me is washing and deep conditioning 2x a week. For Shampoo I like Keracare Hydrating or Elasta QP for Relaxed hair. I combine a moisturizing conditioner (ORS replenishing pak or Keracare Humecto) with Roux Porosity control each time and apply all over and throughout. From my ears to the ends of my hair I apply a protein conditioner like Aphogee 2min Reconstructor. I apply heat by covering my hair with a wet turban towel and a plastic bag. Then I sit under a soft bonnet dryer for 15 minutes. Let it cool for 10 more minutes and then rinse.

I like to use a liquid leave-in (Razac Leave-in) first to detangle my hair. I mix a small amount of a creamy leave-in (Design Essentials or Salerm 21), serum, and coconut oil. This is my version of "moisturizer".

My hair doesn't tolerate moisturizer very well after it is dry. It usually jsut makes it limp. So I apply all products to wet hair. Then I either rollerset or airdry in a bun.

Thanks myco! Your regimen is close to what I've already been doing except I've been moisturizing and sealing daily...I saw a few flakes of product buildup (in my hair, not on my scalp) this morning, so I'm not too happy about that :nono:. Maybe my hair dislikes moisture on dry hair too...

ETA: My hair is very porous too. I've been wanting to try the Roux Porosity Control...what does it do for your hair?

Last edited:
*raises hand* This is me. I have fine hair but I got a good amount of it:grin:

I wash and deep condition every 3-4 days. I rollerset my hair to style it. I use joico and elasta qp shampoo's. I use Kenra MC, ors replenishing conditioner, Pantene mask and Joico moisture recovery balm mostly for my weekly d/c's. For protein when I need it, I use joico kpak conditioner, smooth and shine silk fusion packets or motions silk protein conditioner. I use herbal essences conditioners as detanglers when I need them. I also use paul mitchell or herbal essences leave in.

I relax my hair with mizani mild and I relax every 8-10 weeks, although now I am going for 12 weeks. With all the deep conditioning I do, I usually don't need daily moisturizers. I use a little oil after rollersetting to give me a little shine boost and that usually keeps me set until next wash.

Thanks myco! Your regimen is close to what I've already been doing except I've been moisturizing and sealing daily...I saw a few flakes of product buildup (in my hair, not on my scalp) this morning, so I'm not too happy about that :nono:. Maybe my hair dislikes moisture on dry hair too...

ETA: My hair is very porous too. I've been wanting to try the Roux Porosity Control...what does it do for your hair?

It's like a conditioner booster for me. It is sub-par as a stand alone product. I find that my hair is softer and smoother when I add it to conditioners, especially if I airdry. Also the conditioners rinse cleaner.

*raises hand* This is me. I have fine hair but I got a good amount of it:grin:

I wash and deep condition every 3-4 days. I rollerset my hair to style it. I use joico and elasta qp shampoo's. I use Kenra MC, ors replenishing conditioner, Pantene mask and Joico moisture recovery balm mostly for my weekly d/c's. For protein when I need it, I use joico kpak conditioner, smooth and shine silk fusion packets or motions silk protein conditioner. I use herbal essences conditioners as detanglers when I need them. I also use paul mitchell or herbal essences leave in.

I relax my hair with mizani mild and I relax every 8-10 weeks, although now I am going for 12 weeks. With all the deep conditioning I do, I usually don't need daily moisturizers. I use a little oil after rollersetting to give me a little shine boost and that usually keeps me set until next wash.

Thanks gymfreak! I've come to the conclusion that I'll also wash and deep condition every 3-4 days. I always washed that much, but before joining the board I never DC'ed...just did a quickie condish. I have two questions:

• Which Elasta Poo do you use?
  • How do you know when you need protein? I can never tell.
Thanks! DP

It's like a conditioner booster for me. It is sub-par as a stand alone product. I find that my hair is softer and smoother when I add it to conditioners, especially if I airdry. Also the conditioners rinse cleaner.

Okay, i understand. How much do you use in relation to the condish (the ratio)?

*wave* Fine but dense here - sometimes I forget how much hair I have until it's all out.

I do protective styles (usually two strand twists) - I only detangle/comb my hair twice a month.

I'm on the ayurvedics, so I do a 'wash' with a tea rinse once a week, usually.
Scalp massage 2-3x a week with either a growth product or amla oil.
Daily spritzing with my 'mix' - usually conditioner, oil, humectant, anti-fungal & water - this keeps my hair moist.

I have an eight week 'cycle' for my hair - I use henna once every 8 weeks. I use protien once every 8 weeks (4 weeks before/after henna). I do an intense DC every - 4 weeks, I think it is? And I try to get a light conditioning in every other week. Oh, yeah, and I clarify every 8 weeks or so - more often if I feel like I need it.

I'm not really tied to any particular product - it's about the ingredients for me, and if it makes my hair feel good. The only product I wholeheartedly love & recommend is Elasta QP Intese Fortifying Conditioner.....and Oyin.

*wave* Fine but dense here - sometimes I forget how much hair I have until it's all out.

I do protective styles (usually two strand twists) - I only detangle/comb my hair twice a month.

I'm on the ayurvedics, so I do a 'wash' with a tea rinse once a week, usually.
Scalp massage 2-3x a week with either a growth product or amla oil.
Daily spritzing with my 'mix' - usually conditioner, oil, humectant, anti-fungal & water - this keeps my hair moist.

I have an eight week 'cycle' for my hair - I use henna once every 8 weeks. I use protien once every 8 weeks (4 weeks before/after henna). I do an intense DC every - 4 weeks, I think it is? And I try to get a light conditioning in every other week. Oh, yeah, and I clarify every 8 weeks or so - more often if I feel like I need it.

I'm not really tied to any particular product - it's about the ingredients for me, and if it makes my hair feel good. The only product I wholeheartedly love & recommend is Elasta QP Intese Fortifying Conditioner.....and Oyin.

Hey nappywomyn...your regimen sounds complicated for a newbie like me but I aspire to be like you when I grow up :yep:...question: why the anti-fungal?

Okay, i understand. How much do you use in relation to the condish (the ratio)?

I just eyeball it. But it looks pretty close to half and half. One packet of the ORS and equal amount of the Porosity control will cover my entire head if I apply it section by section. On the first pass, I don't try to saturate the strands. I just make sure everybody gets some. Then I go back and add more to the spots that need it (front edges, nape, and the ends).

Hey nappywomyn...your regimen sounds complicated for a newbie like me but I aspire to be like you when I grow up :yep:...question: why the anti-fungal?

It sounds complicated, but it's really simple - I only 'do' my hair on the weekends - I'm just meddling during the week. :grin:

The anti-fungal is for two reasons - one, I keep my spray on the bathroom counter, and while the commercial conditioner has preservatives in it, since it's watered down, I want to be on the safe side. Two, my hair tends to hold moisture (finally!!!) so if it gets damp, it might stay damp for a while - and the anti-fungal in my spray (I usually use tea tree oil) insures that I don't have any unwanted buggies camping out on my scalp.

It sounds complicated, but it's really simple - I only 'do' my hair on the weekends - I'm just meddling during the week. :grin:

The anti-fungal is for two reasons - one, I keep my spray on the bathroom counter, and while the commercial conditioner has preservatives in it, since it's watered down, I want to be on the safe side. Two, my hair tends to hold moisture (finally!!!) so if it gets damp, it might stay damp for a while - and the anti-fungal in my spray (I usually use tea tree oil) insures that I don't have any unwanted buggies camping out on my scalp.

:lachen:..it's funny that you say this because I never understood how some people could bun or pony their wet hair. Besides taking forever to dry, it seems like it would cause scalp problems.

I just eyeball it. But it looks pretty close to half and half. One packet of the ORS and equal amount of the Porosity control will cover my entire head if I apply it section by section. On the first pass, I don't try to saturate the strands. I just make sure everybody gets some. Then I go back and add more to the spots that need it (front edges, nape, and the ends).

Okay. I'm gonna try it soon. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much!

:lachen:..it's funny that you say this because I never understood how some people could bun or pony their wet hair. Besides taking forever to dry, it seems like it would cause scalp problems.

:yep: I learned that trick when I had dreads - I usually bunned them, and they would stay wet FOREVER (I'm talking well over 24hrs). Using TTO in the final rinse, though, insured that they always smelled good, never 'musty'....

Me too...I just figured out that I need to moisturize my hair when it is wet. I use Vatika oil on dry ends after my rollerset.
During the week I only apply jojoba oil to my scalp and ends. So far so good.

so far so good. I am just now getting over some major breakage I got last year, when my hair was over processed.
B/C my hair looks thick a lot of styltist think they need to keep the relaxer on for a long time, but my hair relaxes really easily.

Do you have fine hair Mahalialee4?

Any other responses?

TIA...

Yes. It is baby fine and thick. I am working on upgrading my texture from fine to medium to coarse.

I don't actually have one :look: but I need one :yep:. Currently, I am just trying to use up the products that I have and transition to natural products. I do not have a schedule for cw, pooing, deep conditioning, etc..., per se, I just do it when I do it :rolleyes:. I am getting better but am no where near what I need to be doing for my hair :wallbash:.

My hair is pretty dense but my strands are fine.
I rarely use heat(once a month or less,lately I haven't used heat for over 3 months)
I don't have a REAL reggie anymore,I just co-wash about once a week or dc.
I often use my protein condi(Mane'NTail) 2gether with my moisturizing condi.
I love mixing oil into my condi's too but I don't need to unless I'm 12+ weeks post.
my relaxer stretches are anywhere between 12 and 26 weeks depending on my patience and if I'm willing to use heat or not.
I wear my hair bunned up most of the time or in a ponytail,I airdry 99% of the time.
My strands are so fine and fragile that heat usually equals murder,I can't flatiron w/o seeing a bunch of broken hairs in the sink:perplexed
On top of that I got so MUCH too that I'm tempted to just use the highest setting to get through.
But since I don't want all my hairstrands melted together I have to use small,very small sections and flatironing takes me usually at least an hour.

Back