Deneen Just Sent Me This To Give To This Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything Zen

I just got a touch up from Deneen in Chicago last week. A man came into the store trying to get all the hair dressers to sign up for BKT classes. I told her how popular the technique is on the forum. She was intrigued but she did her own research about it and just sent an email telling me to post this. Sorry ladies- I know I drool over some of your hair pics when you get it done and I was super tempted- even though I know no one has reported any problems yet, I just couldn't bring myself to do it knowing BKT has some form of formaldehyde in the treatment. The final nail in the coffin was when my stylist has an opportunity to drum up some business by picking up the technique and still turned it down. :yep:

Health Alarm Over New Hair Straightener
BKT, Treatment From Brazil, Contains Known Cancer-Causer

(CBS) Women are raving about a new hair-straightening process from Brazil
that works and, by all accounts, works well, for up to four months.

But Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) uses formaldehyde, a chemical known
to cause cancer.

On The Early Show Friday, Dr. Ellen Marmur, a dermatologist at New York's
Mount Sinai Medical Center, raised red flags about the potential health
risks of BKT.

It's grown rapidly in popularity in the United States over the last six
months.

It promises shiny, voluminous, straight hair -- even on colored or damaged
hair -- for three to four months. The procedure, which costs between $150
and $800 or more, is available at salons across the country.

BKT claims to use keratin, a type of protein, rather than chemicals to
naturally smooth out and straighten hair.

But experts say that's doubtful, and it's really the formaldehyde that
makes the treatment work.

Formaldehyde is considered a carcinogen by a number of health and safety
agencies.

Apparently, noxious fumes are released when it's applied, posing potential
risks to the customer, the person applying it, and even others in the
vicinity, Marmur says, adding that it's not just the risk from the actual
application of the treatment, but from what happens in the months
following it, when the chemical breaks down, that worries her.

There haven't been any conclusive studies about BKT, but experts are
concerned about the possible inhalation or absorption of the formaldehyde
in it.

The Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel, a group of doctors and
scientists who assess and set recommended safety standards for cosmetic
ingredients, determined point-two percent is a safe level of formaldehyde.
However, samples tested by an Allure magazine investigation contained at
least ten times more than that, and experts say amounts of formaldehyde in
BKT vary.

Marmur stresses that, "It's not regulated at all. And why take the chance
when there are other, safer options?"

Authorities have linked one death to BKT. It happened in Brazil.

hmm... yea but isn't that why ppl use masks and fans when using it? so they won't inhale the fumes?

and also you don't apply it ON your scalp, so i don't see how it can absorb into your skin.

and another thing, isn't regular relaxers connected to cancer too?
i think if ppl are scared, their best bet would be to stay away from all chemicals period

hmm... yea but isn't that why ppl use masks and fans when using it? so they won't inhale the fumes?

and also you don't apply it ON your scalp, so i don't see how it can absorb into your skin.

i think if ppl are scared, their best bet would be to stay away from all chemicals period

Formaldehyde penetrates your epidermis(top layer of skin) and gets into your dermis(layer of skin underneath it). In Anatomy lab we are always told to wash our hands religiously despite wearing gloves, and to never touch our eyes.

and
another thing, isn't regular relaxers connected to cancer too?
Exactly no I wouldn't apply BKT to my scalp just like I wouldn't apply a Motions relaxer to my scalp. I read the story of the woman who died when using a BKT in the shower(i don't now if its the same woman they talk about in the article) but I mean who does a BKT in the shower seriously. Obviously ideally you shouldn't use any chemicals for hair care, house hold cleaning, etc. but I don't think using certain chemicals occasionally are that bad but i'm not a MD or a scientist so I don't know for sure.

Well that why they have the formaldehyde free ones right? Those ones work don't they?
Well some reports have come out that the "formaldehyde free" brand do have some percentage of formaldehyde in them but they dont say which brands they tested so it doesn't help us much at all.

^^ you know, everything seems like it causes cancer. Someone pointed out earlier that some site had V05 listed as causing cancer..

and so do french fries...except i hope to die with a french fry in my mouth.

All I'm saying is if my stylist refuses to do it then I'm going with my gut. I may not know all the ingredients in a relaxer but I DO know what formaldehyde is.

...AND I'm out! :lurking:

I think most if not all the women here know the risks. I know I won't be putting BKT in my hair, but if it promised bigger breasts I'd be drinking it like Kool-Aid

All I'm saying is if my stylist refuses to do it then I'm going with my gut. I may not know all the ingredients in a relaxer but I DO know what formaldehyde is.

...AND I'm out! :lurking:

Zen, we already discuss this. Everyone should be aware of the risk before doing BKT. I personally don't think doing BKT once every two months is going to give me cancer. If I was a stylist, I would be more concerned about the frequency of performing the service.

I think most if not all the women here know the risks. I know I won't be putting BKT in my hair, but if it promised bigger breasts I'd be drinking it like Kool-Aid

That's right. Everyone has something they would take more risk for. So to each her own.

Yes and the article says
FROM THE BLOG POST said:
I have now analyzed samples of three popular brands that are used for straightening curly hair based upon "keratin", "formaldehyde-free", or "aldehyde" technologies. The truth is that they are actually using formaldehyde and in concentrations that exceed the legal limit. Two of the brands use 1.0% formaldehyde and the third one uses about 4.0% formaldehyde. The legal limit is 0.2%.
All of these brands pose serious health risks as the fumes generated during blow drying and flat ironing can cause headaches, irritation of the breathing pathways, eyes, and mucous membranes. Prolonged exposure can cause even worse problems.
I personally want to know which brands were tested thats just me. All I hear is "we tested 3 brands and they had X amount of formaldehyde" well which brands are they testing. I mean maybe the brand I'm using is 100% formaldehyde if it is then why not just say it. I mean I've been natural for a minute so it's not like I couldn't live with out BKT but for right now I like it. So if there is some evidence that Softliss, or Dream Hair BKT is using more formaldehyde than than they are reporting I would really love to see it so I can stop spending my dagon money

I'm wondering what the difference is between BKT and the formaledhyde-releasing preservatives that are so commonly used.

DMDM Hydantoin and Imidazolidinyl Urea are in almost EVERY commercial hair product mentioned on this forum, and they're also in most of our face washes and body washes, etc. If we're using 4-5 products each day that are releasing formaldehyde, wouldn't the risk be similar to using a 2% BKT solution once every 3 months?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

ETA: I realize that it might pose a greater health risk for the stylist, but I'm not sure if home users should be alarmed.

1) No matter how much they fan, best believe that some of the fumes linger. The user and anyone else in that environment will inhale some of it.

2) I've never heard of relaxers causing cancer. In fact one of the first studies on the relationship between relaxers and cancer concluded that there was no association (although they're main focus was breast cancer). (I'm not defending relaxers btw, just saying I'd like to know where you got your stats.)

2) The absorption issue: Ok even if relaxers did cause cancer, how do they do this as you don't apply them on he scalp either, right? Pretty much everything you apply on your hair will run off onto your scalp. Are you also suggesting that substances from the air i.e. the formaldehyde released into the air through this process cannot be absorbed by the body?

Well, the wonderful thing is you don't have to use the treatment if you are afraid of chemicals. Just stay away from Lye (and no-lye), diet drinks, fruits, vegetables, cars, microwaves and live in a bubble! That's a surefire way to avoid cancer and death.:ohwell::look::perplexed

I'm wondering what the difference is between BKT and the formaledhyde-releasing preservatives that are so commonly used.

DMDM Hydantoin and Imidazolidinyl Urea are in almost EVERY commercial hair product mentioned on this forum, and they're also in most of our face washes and body washes, etc. If we're using 4-5 products each day that are releasing formaldehyde, wouldn't the risk be similar to using a 2% BKT solution once every 3 months?

ETA: I realize that it might pose a greater health risk for the stylist, but I'm not sure if home users should be alarmed.

I know I saw "Aldehyde" in my ORS Olive Oil Serum as an ingredient. So I guess it's releasing poisionous gas when I put it in my hair before I flat-iron it. Oh well, such is life. :rolleyes:

All I have to say is if I have to wear a surgical mask to apply something to my hair it won't be coming anywhere near me. What women will do for beauty I guess.

Yes and the article says I personally want to know which brands were tested thats just me. All I hear is "we tested 3 brands and they had X amount of formaldehyde" well which brands are they testing. I mean maybe the brand I'm using is 100% formaldehyde if it is then why not just say it. I mean I've been natural for a minute so it's not like I couldn't live with out BKT but for right now I like it. So if there is some evidence that Softliss, or Dream Hair BKT is using more formaldehyde than than they are reporting I would really love to see it so I can stop spending my dagon money

Here's what he says was tested:

The three brands tested were salon professional brands.
1. Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy - it contains 1.00% formaldehyde active.
2. Nanokeratin System - Hair Therapy Cream - contains 1.00% formaldehyde active.
3. Brazilian Hair Straightening - One Day Treatment - contains 4.0% formaldehyde active.
I hope this answers your question. Dr Syed

It was in the comments section.

1) No matter how much they fan, best believe that some of the fumes linger. The user and anyone else in that environment will inhale some of it.

2) I've never heard of relaxers causing cancer. In fact one of the first studies on the relationship between relaxers and cancer concluded that there was no association (although they're main focus was breast cancer). (I'm not defending relaxers btw, just saying I'd like to know where you got your stats.)

2) The absorption issue: Ok even if relaxers did cause cancer, how do they do this as you don't apply them on he scalp either, right? Pretty much everything you apply on your hair will run off onto your scalp. Are you also suggesting that substances from the air i.e. the formaldehyde released into the air through this process cannot be absorbed by the body?

Not so. I read a study that said female African-American stylists develop cancer 5x more than the general public because of their exposure to chemicals. We ALL know the main chemical in an African-American salon is a Lye/No-lye relaxer or hair color.

Everything causes cancer in this chemical laden world. Apples, prescription medicine, prescription medicine combos that have never been tested, potato chips, cars, Kentucky Fried Chicken (grilled)....

Last edited:
All I have to say is if I have to wear a surgical mask to apply something to my hair it won't be coming anywhere near me. What women will do for beauty I guess.

Don't go to a nail salon then because they wear the heck outta some masks. Plus, if you don't slap the BKT on your hair you don't have to wear a mask. Plus, the treatment doesn't work for everyone anyway.

Actually, DMDM Hydantoin and I. Urea were the first ingredients that I started to avoid when I started my hair journey.

I remember also a conversation Samantha (Lucky'sMom) and I had at lunch one day where she talked about how if you're using a conditioner that has those preservatives and you use it under heat (hooded dryer), you would be exposing yourself to formaldehyde (though a small amount). Since she likes to steam and dc often, she said it wasn't a risk she was willing to take. (Sam correct me if I'm wrong if you happen to see this.)

Just like with everything else this stuff is cumulative. It's in EVERYTHING. So if you're dcing 3x a week under heat with products with those ingredients, maybe you want to reevaluate. I can't say the risk is the same, less, or more than BKT but it's something to think about.

I know I saw "Aldehyde" in my ORS Olive Oil Serum as an ingredient. So I guess it's releasing poisionous gas when I put it in my hair before I flat-iron it. Oh well, such is life. :rolleyes:
Well, aldehydes are the basis of most perfumes. I can usually recognize the aldehyde note in a fragrance.

So it's probably just a scent component of the ORS.

Well, aldehydes are the basis of most perfumes. I can usually recognize the aldehyde note in a fragrance.

So it's probably just a scent component of the ORS.

Perhaps, but it's a carcinogen and it's one of the main ingredients in a popular "formeldahyde free" keratin treatment.

Good to know I can add perfume to the list now...

Perhaps, but it's a carcinogen and it's one of the main ingredients in a popular "formeldahyde free" keratin treatment.

Good to know I can add perfume to the list now...
Mmm, some of them are, like formaldehyde. Many common aldehydes are not linked to cancer.

I know that many people avoid perfume for this reason. I would never consider doing that, nor would I consider taking a job in a fragrance-free office...perfume is an essential part of my personal style. I think it's the same with BKT--each person has to decide for themselves if they're willing to take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back