Deep Conditioning: Overnight versus Steaming

curlycrown85

I bought a steamer a couple of months back to see if it would aid in deep conditioning my hair. It did okay.

A couple of weeks ago, I deep conditioned my hair with a product by Shea Moisture with a plastic cap overnight, rinsed with cold water, and my hair has never EVER, ever, ever, ever been this soft. I have type 4 hair and never thought it could feel like silk like it does. I'm wondering if I should still steam, even though I've gotten my desired results.

With that said, those who have steamers, do they help? Or do you find that deep conditioning using the baggy method works better?

I have a steamer but don't use it. But from the ytbers I've seen, they mention that steaming works the best when they used an oil based product vs regular conditioner.

You can give this a try to give you another option when you aren't able to DC overnite.

Overnight >>>> steaming....

when I steam I still make sure I leave my DC in for no less than 2 hours after it...

Im low porosity BTW

I like the steamer better.

Leaving the conditioner overnight just gives me more breakage when I try to detangle it after rinsing out the conditioner (After I DC I detangle with CJ Smoothing Lotion)

When I use the steamer and then rinse and detangle I hardly get any breakage.

DC'd on dry hair overnight with Aubrey Organics Rose Mosqueta, and my hair feels amazing. I hated it before I did that so I think that may be my new DC routine. I followed up with 1 ORS creamy aloe shampoo, 1 Redken Real Control Shampoo, Roux PC, then redken real control conditioner.

You are not the first person to feel this way westNDNbeauty also stated she liked DC'ing overnight better than using the steamer, especially prior to straightening her hair.

I have not purchased a steam and I'm kind of reluctant to do so since my hair responds so well to overnight DCs.

I love my steamer results. My hair feels conditioned longer. Overnight creates more detangling issues. I have low porosity hair so I'm also going to try and leave conditioner in longer even after the steaming just to see if my hair feels any different.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

My steamer is just collecting dust. Overnight Dc'ing just works way better with my schedule and my lifestyle. I find it just as effective

I say steaming but I do use oils along with my DC. Also, I do not like having product in my hair overnight:nono: Steaming made detangling much easier and hair stayed moisturized longer. Now I co wash often yet I still steam and love it:yep: 15 minutes of steaming does the trick for me:yep:

I need to start using the steamer again. Just don't have the time to whip it out - not that its difficult. Didn't do too many overnight DC's but I get more shedding/breakage from what I remember, but I was also relaxed then so things may be different now. I'll see if I can do both this week. Maybe overnight thursday and then steam on sat nite or sunday with the same concoction, and report back.

My steamer is just collecting dust. Overnight Dc'ing just works way better with my schedule and my lifestyle. I find it just as effective

Same with me! So glad my husband bought and I didn't lol. I keep thinking about trying again, but for whatever reason my ends feel like a dry krispy mess. I don't get it, so I dc overnight.

I fell off on my steamer. I never thought to use it to DC with. It seems like you would need the high heat of the dryer to make the dc effective. I used to put oil on my hair and sit under the steamer for about 15-20 minutes and just style it, no rinsing.

I just tried all 3 of these this week. The overnight treatment comes in first, DC with dryer second and steamer last (booo). My hair laughed at the steamer...

[USER=259350 said:
Esthi777[/USER];14084177]I just tried all 3 of these this week. The overnight treatment comes in first, DC with dryer second and steamer last (booo). My hair laughed at the steamer...

Did you use anything on your hair when you steamed?

My steamer is collecting dust, but thats just because I'm too lazy to put the thing together. IDk if the results are actually better with the steamer anyways.

Last edited:
Steaming is much better for me and my hair. I have very fine strands, so overnight conditioning leads to mushy hair and lots of breakage.

I ❤ Steaming. My hair has never felt this good in my six years of natural-ness.

I've done an overnight DC 1x and its not for me. No particular reason other than I don't like having things on my head. I do want to give the steamer another try. Over the holiday weekend I will give it a try with the oil as recommended by others and see how that comes out.

I was watching one ytber who said for the huetiful steamer we can put oils and EOs in the water which I did't know. Since I already have it, it's worth a try.

I did both of these today for the first time and I prefer to steam(the towel steaming method shared by a fellow member here whose username escapes me at the moment) then deep condition overnight. Although, I do not like product on my hair overnight I can honestly say that I noticed a difference in my strands from steaming/deep conditioning overnight vs. either of the two alone. My strands are fine and I suffer from low porosity and this was by far my best deep conditioning experience to date this year.

I've done an overnight DC 1x and its not for me. No particular reason other than I don't like having things on my head. I do want to give the steamer another try. Over the holiday weekend I will give it a try with the oil as recommended by others and see how that comes out.

I was watching one ytber who said for the huetiful steamer we can put oils and EOs in the water which I did't know. Since I already have it, it's worth a try.

I prefer steaming. DC'ing overnight leads to mushy hair and more breakage. I wouldn't use any oils or EO's in your steamer, it'll cause damage in the long run. The company I purchased my steamer from said to use only distilled water, nothing else.

I wouldn't use any oils or EO's in your steamer, it'll cause damage in the long run. The company I purchased my steamer from said to use only distilled water, nothing else.

That is what I thought as well, but the makers of huetiful steamer said otherwise. I don't know that I would do it but it was interesting that they said you could.

I prefer Steaming 1st and Dryer 2nd. Although I rarely DC any more with the dryer, only when doing a Protein DCer and then I Steam in the Moisturizing DC'er afterwards.:lick:

I refuse to DC overnight.:ohwell: Mainly because I don't rest well at all with wet/damp hair.

Steaming with the right conditioners is dabomb.com:love:

It's just that simple.

Steaming - 1st
Dryer - 2nd
Conditioning cap - 3rd
Overnight - not preferred. Much like IDareT'sHair - I don't rest as good and the results are not any better than the other methods.

Back