December 2017: Hits & Misses

Hits:
SLAPS
I can be cute and casual while keeping my hair protected. I don't think it provides enough space for me to DC on the go, but I know I could get away with baggying my ends.

Giovanni Direct Leave-In
A creamy relatively inexpensive leave-in that pairs well with my staple moisturizers.

Hit- Jane Carter's curl quench spray. It is not the product as much as it is the spary bottle. I have been looking for a very fine mist bottle for so long and this is it! I will likely fill it with water when I'm done and buy again when i need a spray bottle.

Miss-not having time to do my full weekly hair and beauty treatments. That is my me time, and I don't have it right now :cry3:

HIT:
Ayurvedic Powders and Oils

Yes to all of this.

My homemade products and my "commercial" products that continue to be hits seem to have one thing in common: Ayurveda (I didn't even notice that some of my faves were relying on them until a few months ago, like Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream...even though it says it right on the label. :lachen:).

@Destiny9109
I like Amla. I also like Mahabringraj and many of the "Blends" that are a mixture/combo of several oils. I have one that has: Amla, Bramhi, Shikakai, Hibiscus that is pretty nice.

What I like about them is they are all light and not heavy and don't contain M.O.

I would read up on several and see what you think. I also like that they are relatively inexpensive and the results are noticed fairly quickly (at least in my case).

I'm also calling in @Chicoro @spacetygrss @Aggie @Nightingale @mzteaze @AbsyBlvd @Bibliophile @halee_J @YvetteWithJoy (and all others) who are using Ayurveda or experimenting with Ayurveda.

Last edited:
Brahmi, amla and bhringraj are my favorites. Bhringraj oil (king of the herbs) is at the top of that list though.

@Destiny9109
I'm going to ditto this list. I use these three consistently. I add them to henna masks, conditioners, infuse them into oils, etc. I find Brahmi the most strengthening, Amla more "conditioning" and Bhringraj is good at just about everything so I add it to boost everything.

Brahmi, amla and bhringraj are my favorites. Bhringraj oil (king of the herbs) is at the top of that list though.

These sound great.

I only have experience with CurlyProverbz's DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil. There is a thread here about it, entitled something like "What do you think about this homemade growth oil?"

ETA: Well, I guess that's not really true. I have a Soultanicals prepoo that is ayurvedic, I have KeraVada's 1010 oil, I have Asha & Miel's ultimate edge growth oil, and I have Hairveda's Vatika Frosting (arrived today).

I loooooooooove the Asha & Miel edge growth oil, though it smells like an Olive Garden breadstick and makes me feel hungry.

Hit & Miss:
My Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Creme from P.harmpacks

HIT:
The Price ($1.82) and it is a Staple

MISS:
My 1st Jar is very "Grainy" - Sure it emulsifies down, but is very grainy.

I was so curious about the first two. Will you please share some details about these? :kiss: What is the Oh My Glide like? What does the slip compare to? What is the scent? TIA!

I used the cowash to clean my faux locs a few weeks so I haven't used it like a regular person yet lol. But it's a creamy consistency versus a liquid. The smell isn't too strong. It doesn't lather but kinda foams up a smidge. I'm looking forward to using it now my locs are out.

For the oh my glide I used a little after taking my locs out. My hair was pretty stretched already but it helped with comb get through my head.

I used it again after I washed and conditioned. Made it very easy to comb through my hair and I just let my hair dry in a wash and go. My hair is very soft. Not dry. It's also has a creamier consistency. Comes out the bottle as a stream versus a mist. Great slip. I have 4-something hair. Lol. Smells like sweet tarts. It's almost like they combined hair dew and juices and berries into one product.

I used the cowash to clean my faux locs a few weeks so I haven't used it like a regular person yet lol. But it's a creamy consistency versus a liquid. The smell isn't too strong. It doesn't lather but kinda foams up a smidge. I'm looking forward to using it now my locs are out.

For the oh my glide I used a little after taking my locs out. My hair was pretty stretched already but it helped with comb get through my head.

I used it again after I washed and conditioned. Made it very easy to comb through my hair and I just let my hair dry in a wash and go. My hair is very soft. Not dry. It's also has a creamier consistency. Comes out the bottle as a stream versus a mist. Great slip. I have 4-something hair. Lol. Smells like sweet tarts. It's almost like they combined hair dew and juices and berries into one product.

Great review! Thanks so much for taking the time! :smile:

Back