dating an older man

Is it okay to date a man 7 years or more your senior?

• Yes. If you are mature enough, why not?

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • NO! Girl are you crazy, enjoy your youth.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Maybe, it depends on the circumstances. (please explain)

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

princess me

Is it weird or wrong for us to pursue a relationship?

I'm 20 and he's 27. i consider myself fairly mature for my age, but not overly mature. He's nice, really really cute :lick:, funny, keeps me interested, etc. We met recently but I just was wondering if it would be strange for us to pursue a relationship despite the age difference. On the one hand, it sounds bad because we are 7 years apart, but my parents are 7 years apart also, my mom was 28 when she met my father.... (they are still together).

Should I just stay away from this one?

If you were 16, it would be a matter of concern. But as an adult...7 years is a difference in age..... but not an "older" age...really...
10 years ..12-14 etc

Have fun~

I dated a guy when I was in my 20's who was seven years older than me. That's not a big difference. I thought at first you were talking about 20 years.

You're legal and so is he so what's the problem? My DH is almost 10 years older than me. Either you connect or you dont. Good luck.:yep:

Oh... Thats reassuring.

I asked a couple of my friends and they were just asking me like why would he want to date a 20 year old and not someone closer to his age like something was wrong with the situation. I feel better about it now. :grin:

I'm 20 and he's 27. i consider myself fairly mature for my age, but not overly mature. He's nice, really really cute :lick:, funny, keeps me interested, etc. We met recently but I just was wondering if it would be strange for us to pursue a relationship despite the age difference. On the one hand, it sounds bad because we are 7 years apart, but my parents are 7 years apart also, my mom was 28 when she met my father.... (they are still together).

I don't think a seven year gap is a big deal...too much of a difference

Im 21 yrs old my man is 29 and Ive been dating older guys since I started dated and gurl although I was mature for my age at the time ...At the time I always thought that older guys should be more mature than most guy of my age...girl I was wrong I ended up with a bunch of a$$... that were just older fools that wanted to be with a youngster because no woman of their age would settle down with them because they were not standing on anything serious. Not all guys are like that. My current boyfriend is 29 and im 21 and although hes a bit older than me he treats me like a queen and we have a lot in common ...goals , views, mentality . He supports me the same Im there for him .

My advice ...take it one step at a time ...dont rush anything ...and If youre happy go for it!

LOL this is the exact age difference between the guy I was last dealing with and his new girlfriend :lol: Are you her? j/k But seriously I wondered the exact same thing but I doubt he's like him. If that what makes you happy do you. When I was that age I was dating someone who was 5.5 years older (I didnt know that when I met him bc he looked my age) than me and just like someone said dont expect him to be as mature just because your mature for your age. In my situation it didnt work because he wasn't among other things, I thought it would work out but things went downhill after the "new" period was over.

When you said "older" thought you were talking 20yrs older.....in my book 7yrs older is not "older" besides a 27yr old man may be less mature then you.

Anyways.....as long as you two are compatible go for it. Age as they say is just a number. It does not dictate level of maturity. Lord knows there are too many 49 yr old immature men running around.

i dated a man 8 years older it was ok at first but i hated it i dont think it was his age it was him:nono:

if your happy then go for it :yep:

Now, I don't think the 7 years itself is a big deal, but I know that the 20's have sooooooo many growing pangs along with them. So, in a way, I do think he's too old for you. Just proceed a lil slower w/ him.

thanks for the replies...

he still seems pretty cool and at this point I would say genuine. but i think im just trying this out for the experience... i always told myself i wouldnt seriously date a guy who has a child already (for personal reasons) and he has a 6 yro daughter and he sees her mom on a regular basis. so he's pretty much ruled out... :ohwell:

i don't think a 7 year difference is bad. i think if both your intentions and like for each other is genuine (i.e - you're not exploiting each other based on age) then you should go for it. some problems may arise though; not because of your maturity but because you're likely at different stages in your lives. for me personally, i've just finished my second year of university, still living at home, not looking to get married and i have no money. imo, a 27 year old is at a very different stage and they fact they may be thinking about marriage more and have more money (well, they should but not always) could be a potential source of problems. sometimes the older persons wants the younger to be at the same stage as they are in their own life but it's not really possible.

i don't think a 7 year difference is bad. i think if both your intentions and like for each other is genuine (i.e - you're not exploiting each other based on age) then you should go for it. some problems may arise though; not because of your maturity but because you're likely at different stages in your lives. for me personally, i've just finished my second year of university, still living at home, not looking to get married and i have no money. imo, a 27 year old is at a very different stage and they fact they may be thinking about marriage more and have more money (well, they should but not always) could be a potential source of problems. sometimes the older persons wants the younger to be at the same stage as they are in their own life but it's not really possible.

these are actually very good points you've made. I'm agreeing with what your saying, especially the money part cuz i consider myself to be broke since Imma student living check to check...

and boy oh boy, I dont even want to discuss marraige! I'm not planning on crossing that bridge until the next 5-8 years from now... these are things I will be thinking about :yep:... thanks

I'm 26, and the next guy I date, I'd ideally like to be at least 30. My ex-so is only 1 year older than me and is a train wreck. I know not all young guys are like this, but I'd like someone that's a good 4-7 years my senior :yep:. When I was 22-23 I dated someone that was 33-34 and that was too much of a age gap between us I felt.

Imo a 7 year age diff definetely isn't significant. . UNLESSS you're talking about someone who is like 19/20 dating someone who is 26/27.

I'm in my early 20's and still cannot honestly tell you what I want out of life and what i plan on doing with my life especially in terms of a career. This does not apply to ALL people in their late teens early twenties but I would be willing to bet that it applies to a majority of them.

I think that someone in their late 20's especially someone who has an established career and has been independent for a while has a better idea of who they truly are and what makes them happy. A person in this age group is probably closer to "winding down" and establishing a family cokmpared to someone who is college aged.

Basically in my situatioin I would hate to be with somone seriously at this age and "outgrow" them. I dont' think I'm going to be teh same person 5 years from now. Once I finish school, come into the real world, and really be independent I will have a better understanding of myself. Once I have a better understanding of myself then I have and better understanding of what I want which means I will KNOW what I do and do not want in a significant other.

Last edited:
Back