Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

December 23, 2011

Devotional:
The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. Proverbs 11:25 (KJV)

God is a giving and generous God. He longs for his children to be like him in this grace. Our place on earth is not to be hoarders or collectors of blessing, forgiveness, wealth, and opportunity. No, following the lead of our Eternal Father, we are to be conduits of blessing, forgiveness, wealth, and opportunity. As we are generous like God, we trust that he will in turn make sure we are blessed and refreshed in the ways that will draw us more and more into his character and more able to help others in the future.

PRAYER:
Holy God, I thank you for all the great examples of generosity that have graced my life. Whether rich or poor, these conduits of your grace have taught me that I, too, can be more like you in this way. Bless my heart with trust and faith as I seek to be more generous with others in my grace, forgiveness, finances, encouragement, and time. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore. Psalms 105:4 (KJV)

December 24, 2011

Devotional:
But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13 (KJV)

God is merciful. Yes, we do remember those blazing occasions when he was fed up and furious with the unrighteousness and rebellion of his people. But, we remember them precisely because they were so striking and because they did not occur that frequently in the hundreds of years he led the Israelites. God has shown us his heart. God showed it to Nineveh despite Jonah. God revealed his heart in Jesus' compassion to people. God has demonstrated his mercy and love with you and me by calling us, sinners, to his side and to bring us salvation. He will not leave us unchanged and content with our sin. Yes, he does call us to repentance. But, the very fact that the Almighty God, ruler of heaven and earth would pause and invite us near and give us a chance to know his grace is almost too good to be true. That same God calls us to share that same mercy to others.

PRAYER:
Thank you, Almighty God, for being tender as well as powerful, forgiving as well as righteous, and merciful as well as holy. Please mature me in these sets of character defining traits. I don't want to be self-righteous, but righteous. I don't want to be a bully, but compassionately strong. I don't want to be sanctimonious, but true and merciful. Please fill me with your Spirit and gently confront me in those areas that need growth and change. May others see in me a reflection of you. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong [thy] days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever. Deuteronomy 4:40 (KJV)

December 26, 2011

Devotional:
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 6:1 (KJV)

Why do we do the things we do? What is the motivation for our behavior? It's so easy to fall into the trap of doing religious things so we will look good to others. This is true even when culture reacts negatively to our faith. Those around us who know about our faith and the Christians around us become the target of our behavior. While we do want to have the right kind of influence on everyone around us, we must never make our decisions about spiritual service on the basis of being seen by others to be honored because of it. Our goal must be to honor God and bless others!

PRAYER:
Almighty God, please purify my heart of any false motivation and help me serve others based on their need and my desire to honor you in helping them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)

December 27, 2011

Devotional:
God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth. John 4:24 (KJV)

Without the Spirit, we are not children of God. Without the Spirit, the cleansing power of Jesus' sacrifice would not be fully implemented in us. Without the Spirit, we cannot worship God in the ways he wants because God is Spirit. Our worship must be "Spirit to Spirit" and done in a way that pleases God and that is according to his will.

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty God, I want to be one of your worshipers. I want to worship you "Spirit to Spirit." I want to honor you by worshiping you according to your will. In all of my life and all of my praise, I want you to be honored. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18 (KJV)

December 28, 2011

Devotional:
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; Acts 3:19 (KJV)

I'm not sure what we fear about repentance (turning our hearts and lives to God). God will not only receive us; he will also redeem us and remake us. But that repentance is often so hard for us to do. We get stuck in old patterns of destructive and addictive behavior. We believe Satan's deceptive lies. We use self-deprecating thoughts to defeat the Spirit's work in ourselves. So why not come clean and confess our sins and truly turn our lives over to God? If we will, we will find something truly refreshing!

PRAYER:
Holy and righteous Father, I am not sure why I so doggedly hold on to some of my "pet" sins. Part of me wants to break free of these stumbling blocks, but part of me doesn't. I need your help in turning myself fully over to you. Please send your healing, cleansing, and refreshing power through the Holy Spirit to help me as I commit in my heart to fully and completely turn my life over to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. Romans 14:11 (KJV)

December 29, 2011

Devotional:
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: Matthew 6:14 (KJV)

As Christians, we live in the environment of forgiveness and grace. As we forgive others, the basis of that forgiveness is the incredible debt that God has already forgiven us (Matthew 18). But at the same time, as God sees that his forgiveness is kept in circulation and passed on to others by us, he joyously pours out more forgiveness on us. As hard as it is to forgive someone when we have been genuinely harmed, Jesus wants us to know that the blessings of doing so far outweigh the costs!

PRAYER:
Loving and just God, thank you for cleansing and forgiving me by the atoning sacrifice of your Son Jesus. Thank you for challenging me to forgive others as you have forgiven me. Thank you for demanding that your people be a community of forgiveness. Forgive us, and especially forgive me, when we are reluctant, slow, or suspicious about forgiveness. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Galatians 5:14 (KJV)

December 30, 2011

Devotional:
Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 (KJV)

Where do you go when you are exhausted and in need of rest? No bed, no vacation, no retreat can give us a truly refreshing rest if that rest doesn't involve coming to Jesus. So what are you waiting for? Come to Jesus and enjoy the blessings of his presence, his love, his forgiveness, his grace, and his rest!

PRAYER:
Almighty God, your Son Jesus is my strength and hope. I look forward to the day when he returns in triumph for me and all of your children. But Father, I want to know him better and to live for him with an undivided heart. I want to find rest in his presence, meaning in his service, and significance in his acceptance. Please bless me as I journey toward a deeper relationship with you and as I gain a more profound knowledge of your Son. In the name of Jesus Christ my Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8 (KJV)

December 31, 2011

Devotional:
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8 (KJV)

From beginning to end, our God is there! What is there for us to fear? What can happen that can change this one undeniable reality? We belong to the God who is always there, who always cares for us, and who will always work to bring us salvation! No matter what happens to us tomorrow, or the next day, or the one after that, our destiny lies with the God who stretches from beginning to end and who secures for us life that never ends.

PRAYER:
Father God, thank you for the blessings of this past year. Please guide me as I seek to use your blessings in the coming year. Inspire my confidence about your future for me and fill me with joy because of your salvation. For all that has been good, holy, and gracious, I give you thanks and praise. For all the ways I've sinned, failed, or stumbled, I ask for your forgiveness. And for tomorrow, and another new day and another new year, I await with anticipation and gladness for I know that I will see them come or I will be at home with you where days and years no longer matter. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. Romans 4:8 (KJV)

January 2, 2012

Devotional:
From that [time] many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. John 6:66 (KJV)

This verse haunts me. Not just because of the three numbers in the reference, but because it is a great reminder that many folks simply gave up following Jesus when things became hard to understand. When he shattered their preconceived notions of religious things, when he confronted them about their motives, they went away. What will I do when things get difficult in my discipleship and I can't figure out all the answers to what is going on? I hope, I pray, I trust that I will follow until the way and the will of the Lord become more clear!

PRAYER:
Awesome God, I confess openly that I cannot begin to understand all the complexities of your will and the way you work in our world. But Father, when I'm confused, please bring into my life people who will help me hang on to my faith until the confusion passes. And today, dear Father, please use me to help bless someone who is struggling with his or her faith. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed. John 20:29 (KJV)

Last edited:
January 3, 2012

Devotional:
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. John 6:68 (KJV)

When Jesus asked his disciples if they would leave him like everyone else had, Peter's response is powerful and great. He knew where truth originated! He had heard the voice on the Mountain saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; listen to him!" He had seen Jesus' words change reality and destroy barriers to God's love and truth. Indeed, he knew that there was no one else who had the words of eternal life! So who are you listening to?

PRAYER:
Almighty God, thank you for making Jesus so accessible to me. Jesus helps me see the full extent of your love. Jesus helps me more completely understand your message about wanting to redeem me and make me your own. I want to always come to Jesus for truth, grace, refreshment, and hope. There is no other one that I want to be my Lord except my crucified Savior, Jesus. Today, Father, gently confront me in those areas where I have yet to fully yield to your Son's lordship in my life. In the precious name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A sound heart [is] the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones. Proverbs 14:30 (KJV)

January 4, 2012

Devotional:
For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul. Jeremiah 31:25 (KJV)

In the overwhelming, hair-raising, and depressing prophecies of Jeremiah, God repeatedly told his people he would destroy them for their obstinate and hardened hearts. Yet in the middle of these powerful and scorching warnings, God also slips in passages that soar with hope and grace. Can you think of anything more reassuring than God's promise to "refresh the weary and satisfy the faint"? For seventy years, that's all Israel had -- God's promise. But when the time came, God made good on his word. I believe he will do the same with us today!

PRAYER:
Great Shepherd, I am tired and weary. Please refresh my Spirit and my body. Please help me find satisfaction in the abundance you have already so graciously shared with me. To you belongs all glory, honor, strength and power. I joyously submit myself in faith, waiting for the rest and satisfaction you have promised. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wicked is snared by the transgression of [his] lips: but the just shall come out of trouble. Proverbs 12:13 (KJV)

January 5, 2012

Devotional:
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Mark 10:25 (KJV)

It is so easy to think of ourselves as average people who are not rich. But bottom line, if we have access to a computer to read e-mail, we're richer than most of the world. Let's not let our "stuff" get in the way of our faith and compassion. God wants to help our camels get through the eye of the needle. He will, if we remember that what we have is a gift from him, and that he intends for us to use it to bless others and honor him.

PRAYER:
Tender Father, it is sometimes very hard for me not to worry some about money issues. I know that I am richly blessed and have so many advantages. But Father, I don't want to be owned by the things I possess and I don't want to be sidetracked by trying to acquire what I don't have. Please help me as I seek to be rich in kindness, generosity, and thankfulness with whatever you choose to bless me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.
Ecclesiastes 7:14 (KJV)

January 6, 2012

Devotional:
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
Philippians 4:12 (KJV)

Contentment! Mmmm, I'd like to have a little of that; how about you? I find it hard to be contented about almost anything. My performance is not up to par. My weight isn't where it should be. My words were a little insensitive in the last conversation. It's even easier to slip into recognizing what we don't have financially and then pursue that. But before money, possessions, health, or any other thing can be truly enjoyed, we first have to learn that contentment is not based on our circumstances but our salvation.

PRAYER:
Almighty and generous God, you are the giver of all good gifts, so now I would like your help in finding the gift of contentment. Bless me as you choose, for I know deep in my heart that no blessing can compare to being your child and being loved and known personally by you. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. James 1:12 (KJV)

January 7, 2012

Devotional:
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Matthew 6:25 (KJV)

Worries are many and they all seem to crowd in around bill time, don't they. Jesus reminded us that life is more than food or clothes. The real question is whether we can live like life is more than food and clothing. We get deceived so easily, like Esau who sold his birthright for a bowl of soup. Let's not sell out what is precious for the allure of what will most likely end in difficulty and entanglements or at the very least doesn't have eternal value.

PRAYER:
Generous Father, banish fear and selfishness from my heart. I know you have already provided the most incredible gift of all time. Please help me pursue you and your will and not the things that choke out your presence in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:13 (KJV)

January 9, 2012

Devotional:
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 1 Timothy 6:17 (KJV)

It is awfully easy to try to build our security around money, isn't it? But world catastrophes, economic collapses, embargoes, and natural disasters can wipe out the basis of our security if it is in earthly wealth or physical things. But if our hope is in God, we get to share the bounty of his blessings in the world around us and the assurance that what is most important in our life cannot be taken away from us.

PRAYER:
Faithful and loving God, I am so thankful that you are the one in whom I can find my identity, values, hope, security, and future. You have blessed me in so many ways, but please help as I'm working to put my trust in you and not in earthly wealth or possessions. To you belong all glory and praise, now and forever. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)

January 10, 2012

Devotional:
For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother. Philemon 1:7 (KJV)

Wouldn't this description of Philemon be a great one to have said about you! To be loved, supported, and encouraged by an encourager is to have your heart refreshed and your attitude lifted. Let's make a commitment to be an "encourager" who refreshes the hearts of those around us this week.

PRAYER:
Tender and loving God, thank you for leading the people into my life who have encouraged me when I most needed it. Please give me the eyes to see and the heart to serve those around me who desperately need my encouragement. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed [are] the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them. Revelation 14:13 (KJV)

January 11, 2012

Devotional:
Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou [art] the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day. Psalm 25:4-5 (KJV)

Life can be so confusing. There are so many choices for us as we decide the values that will govern our lives. So how are we going to find the best way, God's way, to live? We will ask God to show us! Our hope is in him. Our salvation is in him. So why not ask him to guide us and teach us his truth? Why not expect that he will make his will known for us? If our hearts are open to his truth and we are seeking his path, he will make his will known.

PRAYER:
O mighty God, the only true guide to life, please help me to know your will more completely. I want to live for you and to please you. I want others to know of my allegiance to you -- not just because of the words I speak, but also through the character of my conduct. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Judge not, that ye be not judged. Matthew 7:1-2 (KJV)

January 12, 2012

Devotional:
Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3 (KJV)

God wants us to seek him and call out to him. He wants to answer us and tell us about things beyond our human comprehension. He longs to draw us close so that we can know him. Like a scared child calls out to a loving father in the next room, we too can call on him knowing that our Father will answer, protect, and comfort us. Even more than that, our Father will reveal to us things that would be impossible for us to know without his grace.

PRAYER:
Almighty God and Abba Father, I do want to know you and to be known by you. Yes, there are things in my heart and my life that I wish were not there. But I know your grace and I am confident that you know my heart and its desire to reflect your glory, share your grace, and display your character. Thank you for the gift of being your child and having my future secured. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20 (KJV)

January 13, 2012

Devotional:
So teach [us] to number our days, that we may apply [our] hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12 (KJV)

When we lose our sense of urgency to live for God, we end up wasting our time! God has a plan for us, for our world, and for his church. Without God's gift of "spiritual arithmetic" (numbering our days aright), we will never gain a heart of wisdom. So how do we get such a gift? Ask for it without doubting (James 1:5-7)! Trusting the Lord for wisdom has a huge effect on us and the way we conduct our lives. Rather than losing heart, God gives us a heart of wisdom!

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty God, King of the Ages, you alone live in complete wisdom, justice, and grace. Please help me to know what time it is in my life and the role you want me to play at this stage of my journey. I want my life to be lived glorifying you. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The poor and the deceitful man meet together: the LORD lighteneth both their eyes. Proverbs 29:13 (KJV)

January 14, 2012

Devotional:
(For we [are but of] yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth [are] a shadow:) Job 8:9 (KJV)

While Job never learned why he suffered, he did learn his place in the universe before the Almighty God (Job 38-41). When we are young, time passes so very slowly -- especially if we are waiting for something special! But as we get older, the years fly by more and more quickly. Yet despite all our learning, despite all our experience, we come to two great awakenings: our knowledge compared to what there is to know is so very small and our place in the passage of time is so very short. Both of these awakenings prepare us to turn our lives and future over to our God who longs to bring us to himself.

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty God, my Abba Father, thank you so much for your overwhelming patience as you try to communicate your love to people like me with my limited abilities to comprehend your magnificence and glory. Please give me wisdom this week, to make the decisions I need to make and to choose your way and not my own. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1 (KJV)

January 16, 2012

Devotional:
Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabniah, Sherebiah, Hodijah, Shebaniah, [and] Pethahiah, said, Stand up [and] bless the LORD your God for ever and ever: and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise. Nehemiah 9:5 (KJV)

"Stand up and shout it if you love my Jesus..." That's a song our children love to sing! But what happens to that youthful exuberance and joy at worshiping the Lord? Scripture seems to show us that God doesn't want us to lose it. Read through the Bible and highlight all the physical acts used to reverence and praise our awesome and eternal God. In a world which regularly uses God's name in vain, isn't it time we stood up and praised him -- not only in church (our private worship) and our daily devotionals (our personal worship), but also in our lives every day (our public worship)?!

PRAYER:
Heavenly Father, I find it incomprehensible that an eternal and mighty God would choose to listen to my prayers. Yet I know you do hear them and respond to them. Thank you! Please be praised in my worship, whether I offer it in private with other Christians at church, in my daily personal worship, or in my public worship as I live as an example before my coworkers. You alone are God and worthy of all praise; please be praised in my life. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Romans 4:7 (KJV)

January 17, 2012

Devotional:
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and [that] ye may have lack of nothing. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (KJV)

What's your ambition? I don't know about you, but I'm not so sure I could say my ambition is to "live a quiet life ...." But when I hear the reason for that directive, I understand. So many people I meet are frazzled, run down, and exhausted with all their "busy-ness." So let's make a commitment to cycle down a little, trust God more and more each day, and seek to live a life that wins the respect of those around us!

PRAYER:
O precious and righteous Father, I need your help to learn to slow down and tend to my own responsibilities instead of running around out of control and without purpose. Please grant me not only the wisdom that I have been praying for, but also the patience and quietude that I need for that wisdom to change my heart and mind. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ, Philippians 3:8 (KJV)

January 18, 2012

Devotional:
Let no man seek his own, but every man another's [wealth]. 1 Corinthians 10:24 (KJV)

Isn't it amazing how the more we try to fix things for ourselves, the more we focus on "looking out for number 1," and the more we also find ourselves isolated from meaningful relationships that make life worth living. "If you want to have a friend, then be a friend," the saying goes. You know what? It's right! It's easy to seek what is only for our own good. That's what most folks do as a matter of course. But what makes Christians redemptive, what makes them like God, is their willingness to think of others before themselves!

PRAYER:
Father, forgive me, because I know that I am often selfish and seldom think through the implications of my decisions based on the needs of others. I want to have the mind of Christ and be more selfless and sacrificial with everyone who needs your grace and the tenderness that you have placed within me to share with them. Please bless me as I seek to be like your Son in this area of my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10 (KJV)

January 19, 2012

Devotional:
Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I [am] the LORD your God. Leviticus 19:31 (KJV)

Our world has a re-emerging fascination with the occult and the world of demons and witchcraft. It's easy for us to react in one of two dangerous ways: to downplay the reality of these things or to dabble in them as matters of entertainment or amusement. God wants us to know that these fascinations are dangerous because the evil entities behind them are real and when we involve ourselves in them, they defile us. God alone is God and is to be worshiped without rival by his people.

PRAYER:
Holy and magnificent God, thank you for breaking the power and hold of evil powers through Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. Please deliver those whom I know and love that are entrapped in one way or another with a fascination with false gods and deceiving and destructive spirits. Empower your Church with your Spirit; please cleanse us and make us a holy people, undefiled and ready for your service. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Behold, I come quickly: blessed [is] he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book. Revelation 22:7 (KJV)

January 20, 2012

Devotional:
But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6 (KJV)

Our relationship with God is built on the atoning sacrifice of Jesus and our acceptance of that sacrifice through obedient faith. That faith trusts that God not only exists, but that he also personally cares about us and our desire to know him. He eagerly longs to bless those who seek him. What we find when we seek him, however, is that all other blessings pale in comparison to knowing, and being known by the eternal, immortal, and only true God!

PRAYER:
Holy God, I do seek to know you better. Please make your presence known more powerfully in my life and in the life of your Church. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32 (KJV)

January 21, 2012

Devotional:
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2 (KJV)

Who is your hero? I'm not asking for the Sunday school class answer, but the person you most actively admire! It is hard to "fix our eyes on Jesus" because he is not here where we can see him like other heroes. But he was the ultimate adventurer and trailblazer. He faced the horrific penalty and shame of the cross, taking away our sin! He did it so that we could have a hero that death and sin could not destroy, mar, or taint. He did it so that we could be confident that if we follow in his footsteps, the trail he blazed wasn't just for him, but for us, too!

PRAYER:
Holy God, forgive me when I chase what is false and let my focus shift from Jesus as my ultimate hero. I want to honor and serve him, having his life come alive in me, so that others may know the confidence that comes in having Jesus as their Lord. Words cannot express my gratitude to my Lord for his sacrifice and the horrible price he paid for my sins. Neither can words express my jubilation at his trailblazing victory that assures that I will someday be with you forever! It is in his name, Jesus Christ, that I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what [shall be] on the morrow. For what [is] your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye [ought] to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. James 4:13-15 (KJV)

January 23, 2012

Devotional:
Thou hast seen [it]; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite [it] with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless. Psalm 10:14 (KJV)

Those who take advantage of people who are powerless, who are down on their luck, or who are in compromising situations, need to know that God sees their actions and will hold them accountable. Those who are in distress must keep their faith in God, trusting that he sees, cares, and will send his help at the right time. Those of us who fit neither category need to be working for the deliverance and blessing of those who are facing difficulties and hardships.

PRAYER:
Gracious God, please bless several people I know who are in times of real distress and heartbreak. Please use me to minister to them. But please, dear Father, fill them with your Spirit so they will have the strength and courage necessary to endure. Bless them with deliverance that is clearly from you, so that all will know your grace and give glory to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The glory of young men [is] their strength: and the beauty of old men [is] the gray head. Proverbs 20:29 (KJV)

January 24, 2012

Devotional:
Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabniah, Sherebiah, Hodijah, Shebaniah, [and] Pethahiah, said, Stand up [and] bless the LORD your God for ever and ever: and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise. Nehemiah 9:5 (KJV)

God loves to hear our praises and songs of adoration. He longs to hear us call him Abba Father and King of the Ages. But better than all the praise we can muster and higher than the highest sounds of angels is something higher still: the very name of God. Let's make a commitment to revere and hold as holy the name of our glorious God!

PRAYER:
Almighty God, Father of compassion and Creator of the Universe, I praise you for exerting your will on our world. Now, dear Father, please make your will clearly demonstrable in my life as I seek to live for you so that your name will be exalted. In the holy name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
As free, and not using [your] liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. 1 Peter 2:16 (KJV)

January 25, 2012

Devotional:
And Jehoshaphat said unto the king of Israel, Enquire, I pray thee, at the word of the LORD to day. 1 Kings 22:5 (KJV)

This verse is from the wonderful story of Micaiah the prophet. Jehoshaphat knew not to trust the counsel of false prophets. He was adamant that before they went into battle with anyone, God's people needed to first seek the counsel of the Lord! This should also be our approach to life. So often we ask God to bless what we've already decided rather than spending time in prayer, fasting, and Scripture seeking our Father's will. Let's not rush our decisions. God has promised that he would lead us with his Spirit; let's not rush the Spirit's input, or even worse, ignore it and then ask God to bless us anyway!

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty God, ruler of all nations and Sovereign over all creation, please guide my decisions as I seek your will and your glory. I want my life, my family, my work, and my ministry to be lived in your will. I want to be your servant and not seek my own way and my own glory. Thank you for sending your Spirit to help illuminate your Word and lead me and to equip and empower me to serve you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The LORD [is] merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. Psalm 103:8 (KJV)

Back