Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

November 18, 2011

Devotional:

Honor widows who are widows indeed; 1 Timothy 5:3 (KJV)

Practical loving concern for those who are powerless and forgotten is rooted
in the heart of God and championed in Old Testament Law. One of the first
internal problems the early church urgently and positively dealt with was
prejudice and neglect of the Greek speaking widows in Jerusalem. It was
important to God and to them! Paul further reminds us that we better have
the same concern for widows today! (Notice that James extends that same
concern for both widows and orphans! James 1:27)

PRAYER:

Forgive me, loving Father, for I sometimes get so lost in my own
opportunities and problems that I don't look around and check on those in my
church family who need my help much less those in need who are not
Christians. Touch me with your Spirit so that I may better hear, see, and
respond to their needs. Thank you for your concern for all people, and
please use me as one of your tools of concern to bless those in need. In the
precious name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not
seen. Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)

November 19, 2011

Devotional:

The people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the
elders who survived Joshua, who had seen all the great work of the LORD
which He had done for Israel.

Judges 2:7 (KJV)

Each generation must have its own first-hand faith. Transforming faith takes
more than receiving a godly heritage and stories of the past deeds of God.
It requires a fresh experience of God's mighty presence!

PRAYER:

Holy God, help me pass down my faith in you, and my love for you, to my
children and to other young believers. More than that, Abba Father, help
them experience your mighty power and great deeds personally through
ministry and sacrificial service. I pray this in the mighty name of Jesus!
Amen.

Wisdom:

How blessed are those who observe His testimonies, Who seek Him with all
their heart. Psalm 119:2 (KJV)

November 21, 2011

Devotional:

'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says, 'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY
SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND; AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND
YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS; Acts
2:17 (KJV)

As those living in the last days, each believer -- young and old, male and
female -- must be Spirit-led and Spirit-empowered to give his or her
personal testimony to the grace of God given us in Jesus Christ. As Jesus
prayed for us before his death (John 17:20-23), we must be united across the
gender barriers and across the age barriers and across the racial barriers
if the world is to truly know that God sent his Son as Savior of the world!

PRAYER:

God of all nations, please break down the barriers that divide us and that
blunt the wonderful message of your grace. Pour out your Spirit upon us and
convict us of our prejudice and selfishness, and replace it with your
transcending love. Forgive us, forgive me, when my own shortsightedness and
selfishness interferes with the world seeing a united Church proclaiming
Jesus as Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we
should love one another; 1 John 3:11 (KJV)

November 22, 2011

Devotional:
but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, Ephesians 4:15 (KJV)

Our goal as believers is to mature into the full presence of Jesus Christ in the world by being his unified Body of believers. This challenging goal can only be accomplished if we speak the truth -- God's Spirit-inspired message -- and do so with an attitude of love. How can we expect to convey the message of God's love which sent Jesus if we don't live that love ourselves?

PRAYER:
Almighty and sacrificial God, please help me capture all my impure motives and ungodly attitudes and clothe them in your love. I need the purifying and transforming presence of the Holy Spirit even more powerfully present in my life each day, so please fill me and make the Spirit's fruit more real in my attitudes and actions. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not turn to the right nor to the left; Turn your foot from evil. Proverbs 4:27 (KJV)

November 23, 2011

Devotional:
Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength fails. Psalm 71:9 (KJV)

We live in an age where those who are older are often shoved aside. This is true in the professional world with employees. This is also true in churches which often find themselves pandering to those who are younger or more financially powerful, while forgetting the aging and powerless. Let's remember that God cares what happens to each one of us, no matter status or stature or age.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, I know that you will never leave me or forsake me. I believe the promise that nothing can separate me from your love for me in Christ Jesus. But Father, I see so many who are older and forgotten that I must admit that I am frightened that I, too, will face loneliness and feebleness in those last days. Please give me confidence to cast my anxieties on you and trust in your presence. Most of all, Father, I pray that you will be glorified in my body in life and death, in health and sickness, and in youth and age. In Jesus' glorious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. James 5:15 (KJV)

November 24, 2011

Devotional:
Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say, "I have no delight in them"; Ecclesiastes 12:1 (KJV)

When we are young and have so many things to do, many things can distract us from what is important. We must let the Lord gather our passions under his grace in those early days of excitement and frenetic joy so we can be used for God's greater good. For most of us, age brings a crescendo of limitations of one kind or another. This doesn't mean life has to be bad, just that we had better put our priorities in order. Hopefully we learned the lessons of faith in our youth so that we have the maturity and wisdom to be mentors, examples, and counselors for those who come after us on the path.

PRAYER:
Holy God, I pray for the youth of your Church. Give them passion and joy as they find you and follow Jesus. May their faith be real, vibrant, joyous, and triumphant! Give them a sense of your glory. Sustain them through their later years with a deep assurance of your presence, victory, and grace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
"For the LORD your God is a compassionate God; He will not fail you nor destroy you nor forget the covenant with your fathers which He swore to them. Deuteronomy 4:31 (KJV)

November 25, 2011

Devotional:
He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power. Isaiah 40:29 (KJV)

Even the most pumped up and positive ones of us find ourselves broken and weary at some point in our life. It isn't so hard to believe and follow Jesus when we are soaring on the wings of eagles or running and not getting weary in our walk with God. Often the toughest time to keep our faith vibrant is when we are trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other while not fainting. In those moments of absolute powerlessness, weakness, and brokenness the Lord is often most real, most powerful, and most present.

PRAYER:
Thank you, God, for sustaining me and keeping my faith alive when I have been under attack from the Evil One and have grown weary with the challenges and hardships of life. Please give those I love, and mention now by name, ... the strength to press on even though they are weary and weak. Please be real in their lives and let them know that you are coming with grace to help and redeem as their Great Deliverer. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11 (KJV)

November 26, 2011

Devotional:

You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. 1 Peter 5:5 (KJV)

The word "submissive" is often positive or negative based on its relationship to us personally. It's nice having someone serve us submissively, but serving someone else submissively is hard work. Unfortunately, we are selfish way too much of the time. But God is at work in direct opposition to anyone who is full of pride and unwilling to serve others, especially if those "others" are older believers! Whether it's easy to wear the clothes our Father demands or not, we are to intentionally clothe ourselves with humility!

PRAYER:
Father, thank you so much for the great heroes of faith listed in Scripture. Thank you for those other heroes of faith who have shared their examples and lives with me. Bless them with strength and health. And Father, please use me to bless and to serve all of your children, especially those who have lived many years in faithful service to you and your Kingdom. Because of the grace of Jesus, and in his name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" Hebrews 13:6 (KJV)

November 28, 2011

Devotional:

Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. 1 Timothy 4:14 (KJV)

Life seems so busy, so full of distractions and "to do" lists. Let's not let our "busyness" keep us from our Father's "business." Let's find the ways God has gifted us to serve Him and his people; then let's dedicate ourselves to that with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength.

PRAYER:
Gracious God, you have blessed me in so many different ways. Thank you for all these touches of your grace. But Father, I need your help to more clearly see how you have gifted me to serve you and to more passionately make that service a key priority in my life each day. Thank you for always hearing my prayers. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you. James 4:10 (KJV)

November 29, 2011

Devotional:

Do not say, "Why is it that the former days were better than these?" For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10 (KJV)

The only thing we get by spending our time looking in the rear view mirror is a big disaster in our front windshield! Our best days as Christians are always ahead. Jesus has promised to return and take us home to God -- what better future could there be! So let's not get distracted with nostalgic cynicism. We can thank God for his past blessings, but let's not waste the present with pessimism. Let's make a commitment to redeem our time and trust that the same God who raised Jesus from the dead also holds our future in his hands.

PRAYER:
Holy God, give me a sense of purpose in each day that you give me life and give me an optimistic outlook on the future and on my Lord who will meet me there. Please help me have a sense of genuine joy knowing that no matter where the road leads me today, I will journey with you. In Jesus' name I thank you for being my loving God and eternal Father. Amen.

Wisdom:
BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil [fn]an opportunity. Ephesians 4:26-27 (KJV)

November 30, 2011

Devotional:
Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in perseverance. Titus 2:2 (KJV)

"Teach older men?" "Learn from younger folks?" Buried in this verse is a profound understanding and respect that transcends generations. For some of us who share our local churches with five generations of people for the first time in human history, Paul's challenging words mean even more to us today. Those who are younger need leaders and mentors who are people of character if transformation and renewal are to be sustainable. Those who are older need to realize that God often uses the voices of the young to speak his truth and bring renewal. We need to love, respect, and pray for each other as we seek to be God's people in our time!

PRAYER:
O God, please give us wisdom, patience, and respect in your Family so that we may value each person, listen to the voices of character and maturity regardless of age, and be open to hearing your truth no matter who you use to speak it to us. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A Song of Ascents. How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways. Psalm 128:1 (KJV)

December 1, 2011

Devotional:
Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, Titus 2:3 (KJV)

"Teach ... to teach!" We need faithful women in God's family to help show us the way to reverence God in our daily lives and to live with character. That means we need to teach these women they need to teach. We need to pray for them to step forward and be mentors. We must openly respect their reverent lifestyles and acknowledge their godly character.

PRAYER:
Holy and righteous Father, please raise up women of strong character and faithful service. Give us the eyes to see their godly lives and a willingness to hold them up as examples to your people.
Thank you for the many godly women in our Christian heritage who have had tremendous impact for good -- women like Deborah, Esther, Mary, Dorcas, and Priscilla. I also want to thank you for those godly women who have made such a great difference in my life and taught me so much about faith, hope, and love. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whoever loves [fn]discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid. Proverbs 12:1 (KJV)

December 2, 2011

Devotional:
And some of them were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, along with a large number of the God-fearing Greeks and a number of the leading women. Acts 17:4 (KJV)

Women have always played an important role in the work of God. This was especially true in Macedonia (Philippi, Thessalonica, and Berea) in the first century. In each of these places, many of the leading women of the community were touched by the Gospel. We know they played important roles in supporting the missionary enterprise (Lydia) and sharing the Gospel with those around them (Euodia and Syntyche). Why not take time today to let a godly woman in your congregation know how important she is to the Lord's work and to you.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, thank you for godly women of faith. Bless them and their service and make it powerful and effective to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8 (KJV)

December 3, 2011

Devotional:
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:7-8 (KJV)

I am so thankful for Paul's confidence as he faces his death. He is all but abandoned and is worried about the future of the Church, but he knows two things: he has served the Lord faithfully and the Lord will receive him when he dies! Shouldn't those two things be our most important goals in life? So if they are our goals, how do we live each day to fulfill them?

PRAYER:
Faithful and loving God, you have so richly blessed me with salvation by your grace. Please strengthen me out of the riches of that grace. I am sometimes weak and falter in my faithfulness. I know your grace is lavish, but I don't want to presume on it or abuse it. Please give me strength and courage to live faithfully and passionately for you until the day I see you face to face and share with you in your glory and victory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21 (KJV)

December 5, 2011

Devotional:
Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto [this] generation, [and] thy power to every one [that] is to come. Psalm 71:18 (KJV)

In the beautiful hymn entitled, "O Sacred Head," the final verse ends with this plea: "Lord, let me never, never, outlive my love to thee." To this sentiment we want to add one other: "Lord, let me never, never, die until the next generation knoweth thee!"

PRAYER:
Lord God Almighty, the great I AM, help me and those in my generation to pass on an appreciation of your power and glory to those who come after us. Bless your Church's future with many more continuous generations of faith after me or until that day you send your Son to bring your people home. In the name of my coming Lord, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)

December 6, 2011

Devotional:
And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground. 1 Samuel 3:19 (KJV)

Samuel began his ministry at such a young age and was so important in bridging the generations between the period of the Judges and the period of the Kings. During that whole time, God was with him and empowered his ministry, making his words true and effective. Let's pray that God does the same with his spokespeople today. May God use his servants effectively all their lives and not let any of their words fall to the ground.

PRAYER:
Today, O God, I ask you to empower your faithful servants who proclaim your Word all over the world. Please bless them with a season of freedom from satanic attack. Bless them with health, vigor, and passion. Please give them a long life full of useful service empowered by your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that followeth vain [persons is] void of understanding. Proverbs 12:11 (KJV)

December 7, 2011

Devotional:

And they departed thence, and passed through Galilee; and he would not that any man should know [it]. For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. Mark 9:30-31 (KJV)

We often seek to attract large crowds to our churches, crusades, and rallies. Jesus also ministered to large crowds. But his strongest teaching on discipleship occurs away from the crowds, when he is alone with his disciples. What the crowds are able to accept is not enough to call mature disciples to that next level in their walk with the Savior. So Jesus withdrew for intensive teaching with a small group of committed disciples so he could mature them and make them ready for future challenges.

PRAYER:
Holy God, please bless the people in my small church of committed disciples and all those everywhere that are seeking to follow you no matter the cost. Please lead me to believers with whom I can share my life and through whom you will challenge me to grow in my surrender to the Lordship of Christ. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. 1 John 2:9 (KJV)

December 8, 2011

Devotional:
Thou, O God, didst send a plentiful rain, whereby thou didst confirm thine inheritance, when it was weary. Psalm 68:9 (KJV)

Dryness, whether spiritual or physical, is sapping to the spirit and wilting to all living things. Let's join our hearts together today, tens of thousands strong, praying that God will do two things: (1) that he bring rain and refreshment on those lands that are parched and where times are hard; and (2) that he will refresh all of his servants who are discouraged and close to giving up in their difficulties, challenges, temptations, discouragements, and failures. Let's pray for today to be a day of refreshment and the beginning of revival in our world and among God's people!

PRAYER:
Lord God Almighty, the one able to do more than all we ask or imagine, today, we join our voices and our hearts in asking you for refreshment for every land and every heart parched and wilted. Send your rains on the drought laden parts of our world. And dear Father, please bring revival throughout our world in our churches and the hearts of those who serve you. We ask this together in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and King. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Yet] a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man. Proverbs 6:10-11 (KJV)

December 9, 2011

Devotional:
In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. John 7:37-38 (KJV)

Streams of water -- living water for dying hopes, cool water for parched hearts, refreshing water for those tired and weary. This is, of course, much more than a liquid we can drink with our lips. This is the ultimate water of the soul that God longs to give to us, his children. Let's spend the month of August, refreshing ourselves with the promises of Jesus and trusting that, as we draw close to him, the Spirit will restore our soul.

PRAYER:
Loving Father, thank you for sending Jesus to save me and the Holy Spirit to sustain and renew me. Please bless me, especially this month, as I seek to draw closer to my Savior and restore my soul with the refreshing living water of your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [is] vain.
James 1:26 (KJV)

December 10, 2011

Devotional:

And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. Mark 6:31 (KJV)

"Come away." We do need to withdraw -- not once-in-a-while, but often, daily! What is incredible is that Jesus invites his disciples (today that's us!) to withdraw with him to a quiet place and rest with him. The little childhood prayer is appropriate here: "Now I lay me down to sleep and pray the Lord my soul to keep." Only this isn't just about a good night's sleep; it's about taking time in the middle of our wild and crazy days to join him for a few moments of grace, rest, and refreshment. Let's make these daily stops in God's Word more than quick e-mail viewing; let's let it be a time to withdraw with the Savior and take a few minutes of rest!

PRAYER:
Holy and gentle Shepherd of my soul, thank you for your constant care and loving faithfulness. Please touch my heart as I try to be more disciplined in my rest times with you. Please keep my soul, but even more, please restore my soul as I withdraw to spend time with your Son and my Savior Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16 (KJV)

December 12, 2011

Devotional:
But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out: For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid. Mark 6:49-50 (KJV)

In the middle of our storms and terror, Jesus passes close by, just waiting for us to acknowledge our fear and need, so that he can join us in our worst nightmares and help us through. Incredibly, Jesus' words here are literally, "Take courage! I Am." God revealed himself to Moses in Exodus 3 as I Am, reminding Moses that he heard the cry of the Israelites and had seen their hardship and was now coming down to help them. Jesus does the same for us!

PRAYER:
Thank you, O God, for not only being there, but being close by -- always waiting to respond to my cry of distress and fear. Forgive me for not inviting you and the Lord Jesus daily into a more active role in my life. I know you are near, so I ask that you not only make your presence known, but that you will gently confront me when I push you to the periphery of my daily life. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. [Let her be as] the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. Proverbs 5:18-19 (KJV)

December 13, 2011

Devotional:
While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Matthew 17:5 (KJV)

Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus on the "Mount of Transfiguration" before Jesus' closest disciples. This was the ultimate honor for them as faithful Jews. God, however, wanted them to know that as important as Moses and Elijah are, only Jesus is his Son. His Son's words are the ultimate authority and the bottom-line truth of God's will. If we are to be refreshed, renewed, and restored, we must begin by listening to and obeying God's Son and our Lord, Jesus Christ.

PRAYER:
Righteous Father, please give me a holy hunger for the words of Jesus. Help me as I seek to not only understand them, but also live them. I want to make honoring you my life's work just as it was his. Please give me wisdom today, as I seek to make decisions and face difficult circumstances with integrity, grace, and obedience. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed [are] they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. Revelation 19:9 (KJV)

December 14, 2011

Devotional:
Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine *** may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.
Exodus 23:12 (KJV)

Refreshed! Boy that's often hard in any time, but it's especially hard in December, isn't it? It's either the dead of summer or the dead of winter depending on which side of the equator you find yourself. Either way, we need to hear God's desire for all of us to be refreshed and to allow those around us to be refreshed in his presence, his grace, and his rest.

PRAYER:
Forgive me, God, for being so busy being busy that I don't intentionally take time to be refreshed in your rest. Teach me gently, Father, that I need this weekly rest in your presence and with my family to be all that you want me to be, and all that I can be. Restore my soul, O God, and fill me with your restful joy. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Hebrews 12:14 (KJV)

December 15, 2011

Devotional:
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. John 6:27 (KJV)

What are you spending the biggest bulk of your life working for? Is it a boss, a promotion, a sense of importance, a secure lifestyle ...? If it can be taken from you, or you can be removed from it, then it's not very permanent, is it! Only what Jesus gives us is truly lasting, and it comes from God's grace. So how can you more fully invest yourself in work that "endures to eternal life"?

PRAYER:
Un-cloud my thinking, dear God, so that I may more clearly see what it is that I'm working for in my life. Help me find ways to invest myself, "my" time, and "my" money in those things that are eternal. But, dear Father, I must confess that I will need your help to find my significance in my relationship with you and not in what I do, produce, and accomplish. Please forgive and strengthen me as I commit to seek you above all other things. In the name of Jesus, your Son and my Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation. 1 Peter 2:12 (KJV)

December 16, 2011

Devotional:
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. John 10:11 (KJV)

How do we determine who we will follow? How can we tell the religious predators, shysters, and charlatans from those who truly speak for God? Jesus comes and shows us the ultimate test; will the Shepherd lay down his life for them?

PRAYER:
Thank you, Lord God, for sending Jesus to be my Shepherd. I praise you for his faith, his courage, and his conviction that led him to not only lay down his life for me, but for everyone in the world. I praise you, Lord Jesus, for your sacrificial love and perfect sacrifice. To "him who sits on the throne" and to "the lamb that was slain," I offer up my deepest appreciation and loving praise for your grace and mercy! In the name of the only Savior of the world, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matthew 6:19-21 (KJV)

December 17, 2011

Devotional:
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalm 23:2-3 (KJV)

When we are exhausted, depleted, and on the edge of burn out, we need to have our souls restored! But who can restore our souls? Only the One who will lead us beside still waters! The Lord is our Shepherd. He alone can fully bring the nourishment and replenishment that we need. Yet why do we sometimes find it so hard to set aside time to be with him? Could it be that we keep our lives so busy that we miss out on the one thing that matters most?

PRAYER:
As you have shown me time and time again, dear Father, I know that being with you restores me in a place within my heart that no one else can reach. Forgive me for seeking nourishment and refreshment from places that are unholy and unhelpful. Reinvigorate me with your presence and power so that I can serve you more victoriously. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Colossians 4:5 (KJV)

December 19, 2011

Devotional:
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12 (KJV)

Ah! The "Golden Rule" is so straightforward, isn't it? Sometimes we make things, especially religious things, far too complicated and complex. I love the Bible because it is so often practical and plain when God deals with our behavior. You want to know how to treat someone? Then do for them what would be a blessing if it was done to you! If it wouldn't bless, encourage, build up, support, comfort, or help you, then don't do it to them. If it would hurt, wound, depress, spite, or discourage you, then don't do it to them. Treat others with the same dignity, kindness, love, respect, and tenderness with which you would like to be treated. Simple to understand; revolutionary to do!

PRAYER:
Almighty God, thank you for making some things so simple to understand. Please fill my heart with your love as I try to live the "Golden Rule" in my relationships. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV)

December 20, 2011

Devotional:

And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and [his] disciples rebuked those that brought [them]. But when Jesus saw [it], he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Mark 10:13-14 (KJV)

We humans are always trying to define our place in the "pecking order" of life. Jesus reminds his disciples that they have to throw away the everyday rules of the pecking order if they are to really be part of his Kingdom. In fact, he was quite angry with them because they denied toddlers' access to him, apparently because these disciples didn't deem the little ones worthy of their Master's time, energy, and attention. Jesus, as he so often did, turned their common worldly values upside down and reminded them they needed to pay more attention to the character of toddlers than their own sense of importance if they were ever going to understand God's Kingdom.

PRAYER:
Father, thank you for valuing me as your child. Re-awaken in me the wonder, humility, and awe as I seek to live for you and your Kingdom! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The righteous shall never be removed: but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth. Proverbs 10:30 (KJV)

December 21, 2011

Devotional:
That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed. Romans 15:32 (KJV)

Our lives, our futures, and our plans are in God's hands. This inescapable reality is the basis of our existence. It is also the foundation of our joy and refreshment when we are with each other.
Think about it a second: our meetings with each other, and our ministry to each other, are not chance happenings. They are acts of God's grace that gives us a chance to share in God's blessing and joy.

PRAYER:
Holy Father, thank you for your direct involvement in my life. Thank you for the leading of your Spirit, the guidance of your Word, and the wisdom of older Christians. These have all deepened the meaning of my life and empowered my service to your Kingdom. Please give me a more profound sense of grace and joy when I am able to be with Christians wherever that may be. I know these precious members of your family are not chance acquaintances I make along the way, but are the reminders of your desire to bless me and refresh your children with your presence. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet [water] and bitter?
James 3:10-11 (KJV)

December 22, 2011

Devotional:
The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain: 2 Timothy 1:16 (KJV)

A friend in Christ that will faithfully serve others is a wonderful gift of refreshment. Yet as humans, we are tempted to be fickle friends -- there for a bit of time while they need us, but often tiring over the long haul of extended recovery from illness, grief, or the consequences of previous sin or addiction. Is there someone you know who is still chained in some way to the past? Is the Lord calling upon you to bless this person today? What about blessing them as Onesiphorus blessed Paul -- often and without being ashamed!

PRAYER:
Almighty and tender Shepherd, please give me eyes to see your precious ones around me who need the encouragement of your grace that can only be experienced through the touch of a caring brother or sister in Christ. Please help me through the power of your Holy Spirit to be a more steadfast and faithful source of refreshment to these people. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Ephesians 5:21 (KJV)

Back