Da Phony Pony Thread

They need to make a color between #2 & #1B though since 1B is too dark and #2 is too brown.

Same here.
What i normally do is get the two-tone coloured hair (e.g 2/33 or 1B/30) so it doesn't look so mismatched or like i'm trying to match it to my hair colour.

Last edited:
Same here.
What i normally do is get the two-tone coloured hair (e.g 2/33 or 1B/30) so it doesn't too so mismatched.
That;s a good idea, my hair is really dark, I love 1b/33 I have a grey streak in the front that's kind of wine-ish color so it looks like a match.

i wear phony ponys alot but i dont use the pre made ponys anymore. i sew a pack of weave to my bunned hair. currently im using this hair called remi-x 14in wet and wavy for 9.99. (trust me its not indian) ill post a pic soon

Same here.
What i normally do is get the two-tone coloured hair (e.g 2/33 or 1B/30) so it doesn't look so mismatched or like i'm trying to match it to my hair colour.

Doh:blush:- why didn't I think about the 1B/30- my hair is the strangest color. I usually just use colorshowers to make it darker so that it matches the 1b.

OK Calia- I am intrigued. Please tell us more about your method. I would love to hear more:yep:

I still haven't finished the other ponytail look I want to try, but here's a curly pony look I like to wear.

This was originally a kiddie ponytail. I have a small head and after I fluffed it out, it was seemed like way too much hair for an office look, so I cut it in half and here's the result:

This is sooo cute!!!! I love it. I thought I was the only one who uses kids ponies. I find kids ponies to be the perfect density. I have thin hair naturally and my pony even though it's a phony shouldn't be all kinds of thick.

I also slice and dice those suckers up too:yep:. I will sometimes cut them right in half just like you did, and they are perfect to bun with.

I would be interested in knowing if any of you ladies do in any creative pinning of your phony ponies to make an elegant updo?

So this Mane clip....anyone else have a hard time getting all the weft in the teeth?

I am not trying to put a large amount of hair in there, the wefts just keep slipping....

What's everyone's most favorite ponytail that's already made, like UPA, etc. UPA is the only one I know about. I may get creative and make my own one day but in the mean time, I want get couple nice already made barrette ponytails. I need to keep my hair up and off my shoulders.

TIA

So this Mane clip....anyone else have a hard time getting all the weft in the teeth?

I am not trying to put a large amount of hair in there, the wefts just keep slipping....

Hey there- you can sew the wefts together with some weaving thread so that this won't happen. Or you can do like I do and just use a cut up phony pony in the mane clip. I was really frustrated with MC at first, but I just kept playing with it until I made it work for me.

Okay ya'll I wanted to share a way I have found to use a regular drawstring phony pony with out it pulling on your own hair,

http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2009/how-i-attach-my-dra/

This is my pony look for the day dedicated to our lovely and talented SelfStyled :notworthy
:bounceline: :worship2:
JJ_Ross-1.jpg

^^^Yup, yup. Also for all of those on the Hide your Hair Challenges- this is an excellent way to hide the length of your hair.

I Ran Out and Purchased my First Phony Bun Friday on my Lunch Hour. Actually bought 2. 1 Braided Bun and One Smooth Bun to protect hair during the summer months. Haven't worn my Hair like this since College Days (when the Bun was R-E-A-L) over 20+ years ago.

Forgot what it was like to have Hair All Slicked Back and what I looked Like. Definitely more face-time w/o having a Hair Style covering your face in some way.

So I Upped The Make-Up. Painted the Face to All Fierceness. Put on the Biggest Silver Hoops in my Jewerly Collection and Worked it.

It's definitely a Nice Clean Look. And Your Face becomes the focus instead of Your Hair.:look:

It will give me an opportunity to let my hair "Rest" since it is at such an Awkward Stage & Length Right Now. And will allow me to continue to Treat it with DC'ing and not worry about how it looks.

God Bless the Phony Pony.:grin:

Can't wait to see final results in the Fall.

I am still loving Summer Bunnin'. I think I may add a couple of Kidz Ponytails to my rotation. Not sure if it will stay on tho' I'll have to see how they are attached.:perplexed

But the Bunning is really working out Great For Me. Very little Manipulation, Hair gets a definite break and can enjoy just being Co-Washed, Deep Conditioned and Moisturized without All the Unnecessary Handling of Styling.

I am SO Loving It!:blush3:

The 2 kids ponies that I have are similar to regular phony ponies that are stretchy and can fit right over your own pony or bun. I like some of the kids ponies because the density is just right.

Here is an updo I did with a kids pony....

kidspony.jpg

The 2 kids ponies that I have are similar to regular phony ponies that are stretchy and can fit right over your own pony or bun. I like some of the kids ponies because the density is just right. Here is an updo I did with a kids pony....

You Look Beautiful! :grin: Thanks For Sharing. I will pick some up. I really don't have too much to attach the pony to tho':rolleyes:

what do you guys do with ponies that are done with track hair at night?I just did my first one myself and its amazing but i feel like the messy bun that i put it in is tangling the hair. I cant get it stay in a braid or a neat bun?any suggestions for what to do with it at night would really help

I still haven't finished the other ponytail look I want to try, but here's a curly pony look I like to wear.

This was originally a kiddie ponytail. I have a small head and after I fluffed it out, it was seemed like way too much hair for an office look, so I cut it in half and here's the result:

was the pony a draw string? if so if you cut it in half how did you salvage the string?

I am doing a phony pony all next week for a work trip. I have milkyway corkscrew human hair pieces in #2 and I bought milkyway coil curls hair today in #1B. They need to make a color between #2 & #1B though since 1B is too dark and #2 is too brown.

corkscrew phony pony
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/playing-around-with/withtheflash.html

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/playing-around-with/ipickedup100humanhair.html

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/playing-around-with/otherside.html

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/playing-around-with/thisissoeasy.html

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/playing-around-with/iaddtheclipontoptom.html

using yaki synthetic hair
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/playing-around-with/sideview.html

@RegsWife, how did you attach the weft to your pony?

Dusting off my phony pony bags and about to put them back to work.

Ladies do you always gel up or do you sometimes use nothing and just comb it up & attacth your piece?

^^^^ I have natural curly hair. The spiral curl ponys never look right on me (the curls are too big, shiny, and uniform, even when I finger pick them, brush with powder, etc). Straight ponies are obviously a no-go. I found I do best with purposely choosing a more frizzy or flyaway textured wavy-ish pony and that saves me needing to pile on the gel or trying to get a shiny look that will inevitably never match the silky textured ponies anyway.

Rather, I wash my hair knowing I am going to be wearing the pony that week. This allows me to leave the shower, put in soft leave-ins/oils/butters (whatever--just not hard gels or mousses), and brush the hair back into a ponytail (I use a Denman-style brush on the top of the head to straighten out the curls without tearing the fragile hairs the way regular bristles do to me).

Then I let airdry in that style for the day.

The next day, the hair on the top of the head has dried and matches the texture of the pony much better ( it has been stretched enough to look semi-straight but is soft and dry as opposed to gelled up and hard).

I take my own curls which are still in their ponytail from the day before, pin them around like doing a bun, and then apply the fake pony on top.

But my application is terrible and the ponies always get dislodged and fall off, so need tips on that part!

Ladies do you always gel up or do you sometimes use nothing and just comb it up & attacth your piece?

I don't reapply any Gel, after I do my initial set (for my Phony Bun).

What I will do is apply a light moisturizer and Scarf (which normally keeps everything neatly in place) OR at the very least, I'll 'lightly' apply some Serum. Which also gives you hold & shine.:yep:

I love this thread, I am a PHONY PONY, HAIR IN A BAG, HALF WIG, LACE FRONT PHEAN, WIG LOVING whore. LOL! I can admit is so! Selfstyled this was a banging thread for me, the love of the PHONY PONY!

Right now I am sporting a double bun, my bun is covered by a fake bun, Synthetic 104 Masterpiece, I love it, it has enough room for my hair to grow to MBL and be comfortable underneath. My only problem before was that my hair wouldn't fit under the phony pony.

I love fake hair!

I don't reapply any Gel, after I do my initial set (for my Phony Bun).

What I will do is apply a light moisturizer and Scarf (which normally keeps everything neatly in place) OR at the very least, I'll 'lightly' apply some Serum. Which also gives you hold & shine.:yep:

I was right there writing too, LOL!

I found that I didn't have to use the gel which I am happy about. I do use DT gel because it doesn't leave build up every other day, I haven't had a relaxer in 4 months and I put a little gel on my hand and it lays my hair like Slather it down, LOL! I don't want to put the ECO styler gel in there because I do get build up after a few days of constantly applying it.

I want to get the clip in bangs, :) I am so wanting the bangs!

Back