Da Phony Pony Thread

Here are a few that I can remember

Instant Pony HZ P014
yhst-2519492840586_2042_454814837

Shake N Go Freetress Drawstring Aster

yhst-2519492840586_2042_676091115

Shake N Go Freetress California Girl (used for the pinned up bun)
yhst-2519492840586_2042_674703395

The one with my eyes cast down and blue shadow (in black dress) and the "bushy" one in the red room are both from Sally's.

Here's the one I'm wearing today (being lazy right now hair wise). It's the same one as the one in the blue eye makeup, I just changed the position of the ponytail. Trying to go for a bit more of a sleek look...like this:

Picture%201_0_44.png

photo046q.jpg

photo042.jpg

photo043a.jpg

photo045a.jpg

I guess I'm worried about fitting all my hair into the drawstring w/o making a big bump in the pony? Is it easiest to slick hair back damp, or rewet it to get your hair really small and tight underneath?

girl, i have no where near as much hair as you...i think the bolded is the only way it would work for you.
:yep:
Great thread ladies! I can *almost* put my in a ponytail. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for when the time comes.

that's GREAT Tish! When I first started ponying all my hair wasn't even in the pony. It would just be slicked down. You couldn't tell so I just went with it. :yep:

I'm still waiting for my UPA clip. Its been about ten days. And I'm growing more and more impatient as each day passes. I want my phony pony NOW.

I tried making a bun with track hair and its not working for me. Le sigh. What am I going to do with myself...

LOL, LOL!! This is so me, I used to have the same problem, but I cut my hair last fall, I have a nub as a "duck tail", not even a pony. Oh, I went real 'ole school and broke out the buns and all kinds of phony ponies in the last few weeks or so!! :lachen: This is what I'm rockin' today at the office. I ALWAYS baggy underneath and since I usually go from the office to the gym, this style is so simple and easy. I'll be covering my hair up during the week at least until August. My hair does very well in the summer and baggying and phony ponies is what got me beyond APL last year. I'm going back to basics and this is one that worked for sure. I usu put Profectiv Ends Strengthener on my ends and a little Scurl for moisture.

Props to you SelfStyled for keeping it real!!!:yep::yep: Love the hair candy ladies, oooohhhh y'all gettin' a girls wheels turning, I'll be raiding the hair store at lunch! LOL

Attachments

• Baggy 'do back view.jpg
    Baggy 'do back view.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 116
  • baggy 'do chopsticks.jpg
    baggy 'do chopsticks.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Baggy 'do.jpg
    Baggy 'do.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 118
Karamel Diva- The bun looks so cute on you. You are so right I find the pony to be perfect at the gym, you might laugh at this but I have one pony that is for the gym only. It works perfectly, even sweating like a crazy person I look halfway decent. I don't care about the pony getting ratty because it just for the gym, lol.

Wow....phony ponying got you to APL- good for you.

I don't baggy, but before I put my hair in a bun I have been coating my pony with castor oil and my ends feel a lot more moisturized and smooth.

Thanks for posting the pics and post more when you can.

I will post more since I got some clips and cutesies from the store today. I'm with you there, I have a gym pony and bun and are nothing nice b/c they've been held up with hair pins as needed!!! :lachen:You have to do what you have to do to get your workout all the way on!

When I saw this thread afew weeks ago I went to the BSS and picked up a phony pony. This is my second week wearing it and I have a question. The first week I used black protien gel to slick my hair back. It looked really good and held well but I know that type of gel isnt the best for the hair. This week I am using Jam to slick it back but it doesnt give enough hold.

What do you ladies use to slick your pony tails?
Also, is there still going to be a challenge? Im definitely game for one.

i bought a cute afro puff one, but i am waiting to get my hair cornrowed into a style to wear it because i don't want to try to force my own hair into a little pigtail right now.

So I got my UPA clip this weekend. Pics are attached. I've practically ruined this thing because I keep cutting the hair so that its easier to bun. I didn't do much styling to the front of my hair today. So it looks plain.

This is 10'' synthetic yaki straight. I tried to change my order to the human hair curly. She said she would change the order and refund the difference but neither happened.

I have a mane clip on the way too. Can't wait to try that out.

Attachments

• upa.jpg
    upa.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 117
  • upa2.jpg
    upa2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 116
Ok for those longer haired ladies that dont want the 'bulky' look and feel under the pony , instead of doing a bun do loose braids .....like this. I promise it leave no bulk underneath
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

and of course instead of securing it with the scrunchie u would just use a pony tail holder, then add the pony and then secure with the scrunchie, the braids move freely with the pony underneath

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

also Elasta QP mango butter I found was the best for laying the hair down and the slicked back look

hth

When I saw this thread afew weeks ago I went to the BSS and picked up a phony pony. This is my second week wearing it and I have a question. The first week I used black protien gel to slick my hair back. It looked really good and held well but I know that type of gel isnt the best for the hair. This week I am using Jam to slick it back but it doesnt give enough hold.

I usually just cowash or wet my hair at night and apply a moisturizer(Hawaiian silky, wave nouveau etc) and seal with my mix of olive oil and castor oil. Brush to lay it down and put on a scarf. In the morning my hair is slick enough for my liking.

Hey Ladies!

So I got my Mane Clip and I don't like it. I'm having a hard time attaching the weft to the clip. Also, I'm having the darnest time trying to hide the weft so that you don't see it at the top of the clip.

I'm going to play with it some more to see if I like it. Otherwise I may offer it to someone here for the price of shipping.

I'll keep you all posted.

FYI I really like the UPA clip. I'm going to order another one.

Kandi the UPA Clip looks great on you. I like the barrette. I think that is why I did not like the UPA is because mine came with such a small barrette- your is nice and bid.

Have you looked at the Mane Clip youtube? that might be helpful. When you put the clip on try to anchor the top row of teeth/combs in to your hair(I hope I am making sense).
PM me if you need help.

Pudding Pop, after I was my hair, I scarf dry that way it nice and slicked down. I just use leave in and some serum than scarf dry. Depending on how many weeks I am post I will use the Fantasia gel , the green one, which isn't bad for your hair. If I am wearing a pony on a non wash day I moisturize, seal with oil and wear a scarf for about 30 minutes. HTH.

Hey Ladies!

So I got my Mane Clip and I don't like it. I'm having a hard time attaching the weft to the clip. Also, I'm having the darnest time trying to hide the weft so that you don't see it at the top of the clip.

I'm going to play with it some more to see if I like it. Otherwise I may offer it to someone here for the price of shipping.

I just ordered the mane clip like 20 min ago. I hope it works well for me. I was thinking that I might sew the weft together so it doesnt slip apart while im trying to put it in the clip.

Honestly? I used the brown gel & Elasta QP mango butter until my hair got long enough to use just a moisturizer only. The mango butter helped keep the gel from getting rock hard but still allowed a good hold.

Hey Ladies!

I love the UPA Clip. :grin:

Last edited:
Kandi the UPA Clip looks great on you. I like the barrette. I think that is why I did not like the UPA is because mine came with such a small barrette- your is nice and bid.

Have you looked at the Mane Clip youtube? that might be helpful. When you put the clip on try to anchor the top row of teeth/combs in to your hair(I hope I am making sense).
PM me if you need help.

Thanks Selfstyled. I've watched the video before but not while I was trying to attached the hair. I'll look at it again. I just may take you up on your offer. You may have a PM coming from me.

Oh and yes, the clip is a pretty decent size. Not small at all.

I just ordered the mane clip like 20 min ago. I hope it works well for me. I was thinking that I might sew the weft together so it doesnt slip apart while im trying to put it in the clip.

yes. this was one of my problems. Sewing is a good idea. I was thinking about gluing the weft together.

I've also been thinking about making my own clips since I figured out how she did the UPA clip.

Hi Ladies

This is a great thread and has wonderful styling options. My hair is between NL and SL and I have an UPA clip but my own pony is really short and sometimes I am scared that it might fall off. Thanks goodness it hasn't!

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if any of you ladies with SL or shorter hair have ever sewn in two to three weave tracks to bulk up and lengthen your hair for a pony. I'd appreciate some pics. I am debating doing this after my relaxer.

I know one can also use clip ins but I am trying to avoid the extra step of cliping them in each morning.

Sew the weft and it will make using the mane clip much easier. I have several mane clips and several UPAs, both work well.

Thanks Selfstyled. I've watched the video before but not while I was trying to attached the hair. I'll look at it again. I just may take you up on your offer. You may have a PM coming from me.

Oh and yes, the clip is a pretty decent size. Not small at all.

yes. this was one of my problems. Sewing is a good idea. I was thinking about gluing the weft together.

I've also been thinking about making my own clips since I figured out how she did the UPA clip.

Hey ladies I love phony ponies but on easter I had my first mishap! We were at the park and there was about 9 of us standing in a circle playing hacky sack and acting crazy when all of a sudden what lands in the middle of the circle? You guessed it my hair lol!! Ya'll I could not stop laughing! Everyone was rolling! Luckily everyone knows how I am and they know I keep a piece on so it was no surprise to them, I just picked it up dusted it off and kept on rolling! It was a draw string pony with clips but the string is starting to stretch, oh well time to retire it.

Last edited:
:lachen:
But that's why I am really trying to find out about a sewn-in bun.

Hey ladies I love phony ponies but on easter I had my first mishap! We were at the park and there was about 9 of us standing in a circle playing hacky sack and acting crazy when all of a sudden wat lands in the middle of the circle? You guessed it my hair lol!! Ya'll I could not stop laughing! Everyone was rolling! Luckily everyone knows how I am and they know I keep a piece on so i was no surprise to them, I just picked it up dusted it off and kept on rolling! It was a draw string pony with clips but thestring is starting to stretch, oh well time to retire it.

I love this thread. I've been wearing my mane clip since January 1st. It seems that it took me forever to get my hair to a length where I was comfortable pulling it back into a ponytail. But it still didn't look full. I wanted a protective style and decided to try the mane clip and have been wearing it for months now. It's perfect. It's the longest period I've gone without using heat and it helped my hair make it through some of the winter months. Most of the time I attach it 'backwards' as shown in the video and wear it as a chignon bun.

I have the UPA clip, too but haven't worn it. I ordered it with the synthetic hair and didn't think the texture was a good match. I've now cut the hair out of it and will probably attach some different hair. I'd better do something with it or else I've bought a really expensive barrette.

Thanks for sharing all of the styles.

OMG Shadylane- that is so funny- time to get a new pony ASAP, lol. Your little girl is such a cuty.

Nichelle- I am glad that the Mane Clip is working out for you. What kind of hair do you use with it? I'm going to peep that chignon video.

I ordered the UPA- it was human hair, but the color was off for me, I guess I could dye it. Also my barette was really small, I could barely get my own pony in that thing.

I am so due for a relaxer, I have been just cowashing and wearing a kinky curly kids drawstring. It matches my airdried hair quite well.

I am beginning to sound like a broken record :perplexed but please if anyone has some pics of this ie sewing in just a few tracks for volume and length, please share. Thanks!

Hi Ladies

This is a great thread and has wonderful styling options. My hair is between NL and SL and I have an UPA clip but my own pony is really short and sometimes I am scared that it might fall off. Thanks goodness it hasn't!

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if any of you ladies with SL or shorter hair have ever sewn in two to three weave tracks to bulk up and lengthen your hair for a pony. I'd appreciate some pics. I am debating doing this after my relaxer.

I know one can also use clip ins but I am trying to avoid the extra step of cliping them in each morning.

Well I got my Mane Clip in the mail yesterday :ohwell:. I swear I must have fought with that thing for about and hour trying to get it to snap around the base of my pony tail and my natural ponytail is not big at all. Im between neck lenght and chin length.

I measured and sewed the weft of hair together and It was pretty easy to fit it into the clip. Getting it to close around my hair was the problem. it seems theat the middle member kept getting in the way of the clasp so it would not close. After I placed it on my pony I had to push the middle piece out of the way some to get it to close.

I guess I just have to get the hang of it. Its really cute though. I attached 10 inch yaky human hair.

Hi Ladies

I have been in this thread marvelling at all the creative ponys and methods.
I have very fine hair and after a relaxer it is especially so. Attaching the phony pony or UPA clip for me is therefore not so secure as I always fear it will fall off.

So after my recent touch up I was really trying to find something to help me. I have neck length hair and you know necklength+fine hair=a very pathetic thin bun or ponytail.:sad:

I recently asked about sewing in a few tracks into the hair and thanks for the responses I received. I tried it yesterday. I sewed in three tracks of weave weft in the middle portion of my head/hair. The results are below.

If you look carefully at the 2nd Pic you can see where my hair ends and the weave hair continues.

For those interested - I used EPRT (Extensions Plus Relaxed Texture)

I hope this can help me have my hair in a bun or pony tail until I get enough growth to get my braids back :grin:

Attachments

• PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 84
  • PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 109
  • PICT0071.JPG
    PICT0071.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 96
  • PICT0073.JPG
    PICT0073.JPG