Da Phony Pony Thread

Get it Jjamiah- you are so working it!

Poochie- I love that look on you- very creative.

There are a couple of ways to get rid of shine....You can soak the pony in the sink with a little shampoo, or water with a litle vinegar in it. Towel dry, air dry overnight and you should be good to go.

If it's still shiny at that point sprinkle a little baby powder on it and comb it through and that will soak up some of the shine as well.

:Blush2: Thank you! :blush3: I'm really happy with the results.

OMG! Those look like acrylics! I've never gotten that kind of nail length and strength from biotin! What dose are you taking? Do you take any other supplements? Cuz I'd LUV to have nails like that. :yep:

I started at 1000mcg of biotin but now I do 3000mcg with 1000mg of Vitamin C. Yeah I don't take anything else but biotin daily. You can have these nails!! LOL! They are very annoying because I have to get fill ins frequently.

I love my Mane Clip- I ordered the UPA clip- but I actually like the Main Clip better, and I think that is because I can switch up the hair.

That's the only reason why I didn't get the UPA clip, because you can't switch up the hair.

Chile, I take that drawstring out- put your hair in a bun or pony- put the pp over your bun, and then clip it all together.

Nice and secure, it has stayed on in windy days, and even a coloring session here and there:blush:. One night this week I was thinking I was cute and DH tried to pull it off, and said I want to see the real you- that sucker did. not. budge.

LOL. That's what I'm talking about!
Get it Jjamiah- you are so working it!

Poochie- I love that look on you- very creative.

There are a couple of ways to get rid of shine....You can soak the pony in the sink with a little shampoo, or water with a litle vinegar in it. Towel dry, air dry overnight and you should be good to go.

If it's still shiny at that point sprinkle a little baby powder on it and comb it through and that will soak up some of the shine as well.

I put baby powder on my wigs. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do that with phony ponies.

Pony's are the best. They are my favorite thing to workout in. there is a pic of me in here somewhere from 2006 when I was sporting the heck out of my UPA clip! Now I need a kinky one :yep:

I love my Mane Clip- I ordered the UPA clip- but I actually like the Main Clip better, and I think that is because I can switch up the hair.

That white barette is so pretty. You should seriously be the poster child for growth and retention using phony ponies:blush:. Good luck on your transistion! That is so awesome- you just gave me an idea to update on the 1st page. Phony ponies can even be used to help sisters transition:lachen:- see they really are useful:yep:.

Chile, I take that drawstring out- put your hair in a bun or pony- put the pp over your bun, and then clip it all together.

Nice and secure, it has stayed on in windy days, and even a coloring session here and there:blush:. One night this week I was thinking I was cute and DH tried to pull it off, and said I want to see the real you- that sucker did. not. budge.

Thanks! I really do attribute my growth to my pony's. I tell people all the time but unless someone remembers where I started from last Feb (with the short pixie in my profile) they don't realize the progress I've made. It's even hard for me to believe! I'm gonna get a Mane Clip soon. :yep: As soon as the weather hits at least 80 everyday, my hair will be right back in my ponytails and buns.

woow....that looks like it could be yours!

lol.....i see u were working that shiny pony

girl, i was fooling folks left and right! :lachen:thanks! I'm not really a weave wearer like that but I love me a UPA clip. :yep: It truly lives up to its name Undetectable Ponytail Attachment!

I'm trying to decide what kind of hair to order for the UPA clip. Human Hair or Synthetic. I'm not even going to mention the remy because its entirely too expensive for me. Any recommendations. Is there much of a difference.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to go for the synthetic option- that way you can try it out cheaply at first. That way you can test it out- if you like it upgrade to human hair. HTH.

Hey Bermuda,

Thank you for the contribution- all 3 looks are lovely. My fav is the mohawk- that is really cute.

JJamiah- I did not know there was a challenge, I just saw your siggy somehwere. But it's all good. Even if it's only a 2 party challenge, I am game. I think there might have been one other person that wanted it, lol.

My suggestion would be to go for the synthetic option- that way you can try it out cheaply at first. That way you can test it out- if you like it upgrade to human hair. HTH.

Thanks SS,

I ended up ordering one of the human hair clips. It was only $17.99. I'll post pictures when I get it. :grin:

Kandi- Let me know how you like that one. I ordered that one, and the barette seemed really, really small. I could barely get it to fit over my hair.

I'm trying to decide what kind of hair to order for the UPA clip. Human Hair or Synthetic. I'm not even going to mention the remy because its entirely too expensive form me. Any recommendations. Is there much of difference.

The one I have in my pics is the UPA Clip H14, Human Hair, Short Curl, 8" for $17.99. www.laceflair.com

Does anyone have a tutorial for putting on a Phony Pony? :look:

I've never worn one, but I think it might be a nice quick alternative for summer and when I'm feelin lazy.

I went back to Old School LHCF. I am bagging and ponying my back to brastrap. Speaking of Old School, what ever happened to Surge spray? That was my stuff.

Does anyone have a tutorial for putting on a Phony Pony? :look:

I've never worn one, but I think it might be a nice quick alternative for summer and when I'm feelin lazy.

Well, it's not even enough to do a tut on...you make a ponytail with your hair, put the phony pony over it (attach the phony pony combs at the back and front of your ponytail) and draw the phoney pony comfortably tighter. Then pin the string/cord under so noone can see it. That's it.

The UPA/Mane Clips are even easier...put your hair in a ponytail then attach the UPA/Mane clip around it. That's it. It's basically a barette with hair attached to it.

Wow...I'm just blown away. I've never heard of an UPA! I'm going to check them out. I used to sport those draw strings pp non-stop. My husband hated them and called them "spiders". lol They are life savers, though!!

Wow...I'm just blown away. I've never heard of an UPA! I'm going to check them out. I used to sport those draw strings pp non-stop. My husband hated them and called them "spiders". lol They are life savers, though!!

I liked drawstrings but usually had trouble finding a "believeable" one...they always have too much hair or are too shiny. The kids ones usually have some kind of juvenile looking curls and the hair is real short...I just couldn't get it right. Plus they hurt after you've had them on for a while...the tension from the combs I guess...

The UPA/Mane is perfect because it's not stressful to the head. You can also take it off with ease whenever you want.

phonypony2.jpg

p1090143ai9.jpg

p1090037dd6.jpg

p1080745bn2.jpg

picture0033cr8.jpg

p1060732sp3.jpg

p1060673lk2.jpg

p1050896jl1.jpg

Well, it's not even enough to do a tut on...you make a ponytail with your hair, put the phony pony over it (attach the phony pony combs at the back and front of your ponytail) and draw the phoney pony comfortably tighter. Then pin the string/cord under so noone can see it. That's it.

The UPA/Mane Clips are even easier...put your hair in a ponytail then attach the UPA/Mane clip around it. That's it. It's basically a barette with hair attached to it.

I guess I'm worried about fitting all my hair into the drawstring w/o making a big bump in the pony? Is it easiest to slick hair back damp, or rewet it to get your hair really small and tight underneath?

I ordered my UPA clip, and im about to be protective-stylin' it up! Its getting to be too much work rollersetting every week, but i still wanted to DC on the regular! YAY, i'll post pics soon

These great phony pony pics are making me wonder if there is any way I could use a phony pony... wigs do get hot in the summer. My ponytail is thick and hangs down to my shoulders, my bun is too big to fit. Is there any way I could make it work?

Any ideas?

In about 2 weeks I will start my 2 month stretch of PHONy PONY central. I might put up a challenge then, I don't know if many people would join, but I guess if 5 people join it's enough, if not it's a personal challenge. I have to up my Co-Wash in May. :D

I might consider stretching my relaxer to Middle of August instead of the beginning of June since I want to wear my Phony PONy for the summer. Relaxer isn't really needed to wear the phony pony.

Man because of this thread, I swear since I've taken down my weave, I've been rocking the phony pony! They are so cute and sooooo super easy. I just cowash, apply growth aides and place my hair in a pony tail. Since I'm about almost six weeks post, I use the scarf method to tie down my hair.

WOrks like a charm.

Back