Cute Blog about Mother Raising Ethipioan-Adopted Daughter

aww, cute! thanks for the link.

OT, but i'm wondering, are ethiopian children typically adopting more than other african children?

Make sure Angie and Brad read this ASAP!

Hmm....well one of the commenters address this on a post in the blog and she says pretty much the same thing that I feel which is that Angelina & Brad probably aren't the best at taking care of natural hair because this is entirely new territory for them, but at least they haven't slapped a damaging chemical relaxer in her hair. They allow Zahara to wear her hair naturally and to feel loved, regardless of her texture, which I think is the main important concept when it comes to black kids and their hair. Yes, our hair is "difficult" and can be very hard to manage, but acting like natural hair is a hassle and one the worst things known to man, is altogether damaging and detrimental to kids perception of their hair, and ultimately, their beauty.

Aww...All of those kids are cute.

I won't be that white person who messes up her daughter's hair
^^I thought that was funny but it's also a good thing she was already set on taking good care of her hair.

Yes I have a friend that works at and Ophranage in Tigre and she says people are coming there like Flies to shop for their children. Is it THAT hard to adopt an American Black baby?

OT, but i'm wondering, are ethiopian children typically adopting more than other african children?

Seems like she has a great attitude and views taking care of her hair and instilling a love for her hair as important and a privilege. Her hair seems to be thriving and she is very happy. Reminds me of my grandmother. She is white and was with my biological grandfather (black) ever since my mom was eleven. She was the one who mostly raised me, and she took great care of my hair. She washed it with gentle shampoo, conditioned it, and put Johnson & Johnson baby lotion in it to moisturize it. She only brushed it with a very soft brush (like those baby brushes) to style it. She always told me that my hair was beautiful, and when I said I wanted my hair more like hers she told me "Well, I want hair more like yours. Do you think we can trade?". It was my mom who relaxed my hair, and my grandmother didn't approve. So I definitely give props to this woman :yep:.

Yes I have a friend that works at and Ophranage in Tigre and she says people are coming there like Flies to shop for their children. Is it THAT hard to adopt an American Black baby?

That's exactly what was on my mind (i just didn't know how to say it without sounding rude). As I think of all the children of African, Asian, and Middle Eastern descent here in America who need homes I can't help but wonder is anyone actually trying to adopt them. Is it easier to adopt children from other countries? Are our policies on adoption here in America that stringent?

[/B]
That's exactly what was on my mind (i just didn't know how to say it without sounding rude). As I think of all the children of African, Asian, and Middle Eastern descent here in America who need homes I can't help but wonder is anyone actually trying to adopt them. Is it easier to adopt children from other countries? Are our policies on adoption here in America that stringent?

i agree 100%
i understand that the US wants to be the beacon of hope for everyone, but we'll never get it right unless we can take care of our own first. if it's that easy to go to another country and bring a child back, our own policies need to be relaxed so we can find OUR OWN children homes, first and foremost.

One of my best friends that live in Princeton NJ adopted her daughter and it seemed very easy for her. She is a black women her husband is white and the child is Black Latina. They did not seem to have a problem adopting her child in NJ and all her other friends that adopted in NJ seemed to have and easier time also. I don't want to have skewed thoughts but I just wonder sometimes. I know several people where I live that are white and went all the way to Ethiopia to adopt lil girls and I always asked why.

They tell me Ethiopian children are so beautiful and if they were going to adopt a black child that would be it. One white woman flat out told me because they have finer features. Now I did not know this woman from Adam she came up to me Just last week in the shoe department at SAKS big sale. She asked me if I was Ethiopian I said yes and she proceeds to show me the pictures of her daughter I mean rolling it out like it was toilet paper. I asked her just out of curiosity Why not a Liberian Orphann or an Good old American child that needs a home. Her answer was I love the people I love the culture. I was like did you ever knew about Ethiopia before? She said no. I was like Okay

She woman tells me that oh I used to eat at this Ethiopian restaurant and the people are so nice looking I said if I were ever to adopt a black child it would be from there. Okay now I am confused because as a Foster mother of some over 20 years that ish did not wash with me and I knew where she was going with this. Again I asked why not a Nigerian orphan or a good american child that needs a home.

She said because they were beautiful. After that I just walked away. She was like well aren't you HAPPY that I adopted someone from your homeland. I was like well a child needs love where ever they are I foster to anyone that I can because all children that don't have parents need a loving home. I have plenty of Ethiopians of my own I don't feel the need to fly back home there are children right here in America where I live to taken care of.

she said nastily well I think Ethiopian children are sooo cute and better looking than the other Africans so I wanted a black child and that is what I got. Like I said this was just one woman's thoughts to me out loud. I am not saying everyone is like that. But Dayum. To me it is just insulting to say the least. White people are just as colourstruck as some blacks even more so.

Again I have a very good friend that works at an Ophanage in Tigre in Northern Ethiopia where most of the children come from and it is very hard and very expensive but these people will still spend almost 6 figures to have one. Why not spend the 6 figures here in America where children need a loving home, I fostered kids from the whitest to the blackest I loved them all. Hell give me six figures and I will surely take in more kids. Right Here. On the other hand I am happy that a child get a home butttttt...........

I think money can be well spent here.

Peace

Yes she is adorable. She looks like so many kids in my family. She seems like a good solid mother

I agree with you completely, Almaz. That's why I plan to adopt or at least foster children as soon as I'm settled in life. And I'd like to do it for more than one child.

Yes, most other African countries don't adopt out...it's not organized in the same way.

South Africa is another country where it's pretty easy to adopt from.

Seems like she has a great attitude and views taking care of her hair and instilling a love for her hair as important and a privilege. Her hair seems to be thriving and she is very happy. Reminds me of my grandmother. She is white and was with my biological grandfather (black) ever since my mom was eleven. She was the one who mostly raised me, and she took great care of my hair. She washed it with gentle shampoo, conditioned it, and put Johnson & Johnson baby lotion in it to moisturize it. She only brushed it with a very soft brush (like those baby brushes) to style it. She always told me that my hair was beautiful, and when I said I wanted my hair more like hers she told me "Well, I want hair more like yours. Do you think we can trade?". It was my mom who relaxed my hair, and my grandmother didn't approve. So I definitely give props to this woman :yep:.

This is beautiful, thanks for sharing

[/b]

I was thinking the same thing. There are so many children here in the states that need parents. I have worked and visited some of the worst urban areas. Some of these areas look and smell like third world countries complete with wild haired kids running barefoot in the streets, no furniture in the home, and no food in the fridge, but worse because a lot of the parents I see are on drugs and absent in mind, if not in body.

It is much easier to adopt children here in the states esp if you go through foster care first, it costs practically nothing.

One of my best friends that live in Princeton NJ adopted her daughter and it seemed very easy for her. She is a black women her husband is white and the child is Black Latina. They did not seem to have a problem adopting her child in NJ and all her other friends that adopted in NJ seemed to have and easier time also. I don't want to have skewed thoughts but I just wonder sometimes. I know several people where I live that are white and went all the way to Ethiopia to adopt lil girls and I always asked why.

They tell me Ethiopian children are so beautiful and if they were going to adopt a black child that would be it. One white woman flat out told me because they have finer features. Now I did not know this woman from Adam she came up to me Just last week in the shoe department at SAKS big sale. She asked me if I was Ethiopian I said yes and she proceeds to show me the pictures of her daughter I mean rolling it out like it was toilet paper. I asked her just out of curiosity Why not a Liberian Orphann or an Good old American child that needs a home. Her answer was I love the people I love the culture. I was like did you ever knew about Ethiopia before? She said no. I was like Okay

She woman tells me that oh I used to eat at this Ethiopian restaurant and the people are so nice looking I said if I were ever to adopt a black child it would be from there. Okay now I am confused because as a Foster mother of some over 20 years that ish did not wash with me and I knew where she was going with this. Again I asked why not a Nigerian orphan or a good american child that needs a home.

She said because they were beautiful. After that I just walked away. She was like well aren't you HAPPY that I adopted someone from your homeland. I was like well a child needs love where ever they are I foster to anyone that I can because all children that don't have parents need a loving home. I have plenty of Ethiopians of my own I don't feel the need to fly back home there are children right here in America where I live to taken care of.

she said nastily well I think Ethiopian children are sooo cute and better looking than the other Africans so I wanted a black child and that is what I got. Like I said this was just one woman's thoughts to me out loud. I am not saying everyone is like that. But Dayum. To me it is just insulting to say the least. White people are just as colourstruck as some blacks even more so.

Again I have a very good friend that works at an Ophanage in Tigre in Northern Ethiopia where most of the children come from and it is very hard and very expensive but these people will still spend almost 6 figures to have one. Why not spend the 6 figures here in America where children need a loving home, I fostered kids from the whitest to the blackest I loved them all. Hell give me six figures and I will surely take in more kids. Right Here. On the other hand I am happy that a child get a home butttttt...........

I think money can be well spent here.

Peace

How insulting to other black cultures :nono:. I'm happy that Ethiopian orphans are getting a home, just like I'd be happy if any orphan got a home, but to me this isn't as simple as child adoption. They speak of it almost as if it were buying pure bred, pedigree animals. "I love this kind of child because they have this kind of features" is equivalent to "I love yorkies because their fur is like this" to me. Np way to treat a child. So children who are supposedly "unattractive" in their eyes go homeless because of their aesthetic snobbery?

This makes me wonder...if white people had our type hair most of them would be natural.

Eh, remember the grass is always greener on the other side. There are TONS of non black curly ladies, some with even kinky curls and they straighten so much you wouldn't know they were curly tops. We always want what we don't have.

Back