Curse of the Dominican Stylist

LizLeila

Okay, so some of you may remember my encounter a couple of weeks ago with a Dominican stylist. Here is the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=75941

So she kept telling me that I was sitting under the dryer for too long and she ominously warned me that my hair would fall out. She even did a little dance as a little piece of my hair fell out during the blow out. Well my attitude at the time was, I have done this before with no problems, I think I will be fine. Some of you ladies even warned me that I should take more care and take it more seriously.

I have to come here and say that yall were right because, ever since that wench cursed me, my hair has been falling out and shedding like crazy!!! I feel like Mister from The Color Purple. Maybe I need to start going around doing good deeds for people or something or go back to the shop and give her a peace offering. At first I was thinking well maybe she didnt moisterize it for long enough, but I have been trying to add moisure by deep conditioning, hot oil treatments, etc. My hair still felt like a haystack.

Finally this weekend just as I was about to do a bad thing with a pair of scissors, I decided that it was time to become a braided beauty again. I bought some hair and went to the shop and the braids came out lovely. I used a mixed pack of hair, so it looks like I have the highlights that I have been so afraid to get. And as an added bonus, for the time being I wont have to look at my hair and fight with it to stay moist. I have had great success with growing my hair out with braids in the past. Right now I am seriously considering joining that Braid challenge and keeping braids in my hair for the next year. I have no doubt that I would be able to reach mid back or beyond by the end of that timeframe.

Just thought that I would give that update. Also wanted to ask, if any of you ladies who have had braids have any tips for keeping them moist especially considering the difficulty that I have been having? I have never deep conditioned my braids before but now I am thinking about trying it out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not a braid expert but I just wanted to say that I'm glad you were able to make peace with the situation and figure out what's best for your hair. I'm sorry to hear about your hair coming out, though. Just know that if you need anything else, we're here to help!

LizLeila said:
Also wanted to ask, if any of you ladies who have had braids have any tips for keeping them moist especially considering the difficulty that I have been having? I have never deep conditioned my braids before but now I am thinking about trying it out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LizLeila,

Glad you are happy w/ your braids! :)
For keeping braids moisturized I would follow some tips from www.growafrohairlong.com or check out Den1's album. Den1 also has great tips for conditioning your hair w/ braids in.

You can also check out the Crown & Glory thread---there are lots of tips and ideas there as well.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=74046

Best of luck and HHG. I hope you hair grows out well from braids again :)

i believe den1 has a method she uses to deep condition her hair while in braids/twists...check out her album

as for the aphogee, i'm sorry you had problems. ya gotta be careful with that stuff! when i do my treatment (every 6-8 weeks) this is my routine:

shampoo with motions lavish conditioning shampoo
apply aphogee
rinse
deep con with ors olive oil replenishing pak
con wash with tresseme or cheapie con vo5
slather with coconut oil as leave-in

i am also sure to keep my hair thoroughly moisturized for the following first week...haven't had any problems yet *knock on wood** :lol:

and by the way, do you always sit under the dryer for so long? on the bottle i believe it says you only need to sit for 10-15 minutes. even when i us my handheld dryer it doesn't take 50 minutes...

anyway, good luck with your braids, and happy growing!

LizLeila said:
Okay, so some of you may remember my encounter a couple of weeks ago with a Dominican stylist. Here is the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=75941

[snipped]

Just thought that I would give that update. Also wanted to ask, if any of you ladies who have had braids have any tips for keeping them moist especially considering the difficulty that I have been having? I have never deep conditioned my braids before but now I am thinking about trying it out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My favorite dryness remedy when braided is keeping it damp w/ Fantasia's IC Moisturizer Leave-in for at least a week. After the first week, I use it once a day until I take the braids out.

Back