Could we have an updated-4a/b roll call? Apologies...

MonaLisa said:
Hey @ Dreems! Still loving your hair from afar! And it looks good close up too!;)

See...I'm noticing some similarities in product usage already....I'll keep peeping future responses to see if it keeps up...

:grin:

Thanks, Mo :)! Poohbear, I wouldn't mess with Aphogee if you don't need it, and like Mona said, ESPECIALLY not during transitioning.

I'm in the 4 category. I don't understand the difference between 4a & b so I'll just say that, in it's natural state, my hair is like a soft, kinky cotton ball. No particularly defined curl pattern and pretty easy to comb through. When natural, it appears thick; and when relaxed it appears fine to medium. My routine is pretty simple:

Relaxer (professionally done): Mizani Sensitive Scalp (no-lye)--love it!
Shampoo: Currently L'oreal Nature's therapy Mega moisture (or whatever I feel like using).
Conditioners: Queene Helene Cholesterol, Keracare Humecto, Motions CPR, Aphogee (rarely)
Styling: Shampoo and deep condition weekly, rollerset with Lottabody setting lotion (very dilute), wrap after to loosen curl. Maintain style with dry rollersets at night followed by wrap in the morning. I also wear braids very frequently.
Protective styles: updo when too lazy or humid for anything else.

Last edited:
Checking in!

@ Ebony- Welcome aboard! *waving* - curious are you a thick/coarse haired 4b? I'm just curious because I'm noticing the gravitation towards certain products in this thread - I'm fine haired and Kenra (based on the samples I got - didn't really do anything for me - and I'm wondering if that's the reason) - and I'm wondering if Nexxus/Kenra seems to work better for thicker haired 4a/b's?

You have a good stash in your regimen! The Pantene detangler is the best isn't it?! It's cheap and it works!

@ KeyLargo - that's a good point - as I stated above - I think there is a potential difference with product usage and hair texture within the 4 range. I see your down with the CON/NTM! Nice!

@ BocaGirl - *waving* I see we also use a lot of the same products! Oooh...I have a newly implemented protein combo - ManeNTail/AO GPB/UBH Conditioner - It's like combining the best of everything! Another check for the non-smellers of Aphoghee (I'm still trying to figure out why folks think it smells so bad :ohwell: ) and check on NTM serum usage! It's da bomb!

@SandySea - based on your avatar...your routine seems to be working for you. I think you're a fine haired, 4a/b. I could definitely see where your fine with the bantu set. The protective styling is working!:grin:

4a

Shampoos: Nexxus Therappe, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo
Conditioners: Nexxus Humectress, Nexxus Keraphix, Nexxus Emergencee, Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisturizer
Leave-ins: Nexxus Headress, Biolage Daily Leave-in Tonic
Moisturizers/Oils/Serums: Elasta QP Mango Butter, Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, EVOO, Coconut Oil, Biosilk Silk Therapy, Smooth 'n Shine, NTM

Checking in
My hair 4b
Natural and highlighted

Shampoos
Mane'n'tail original
Conditioners
Mane 'n' tail

Moisturisers
Water mixed with glycerine and rosewater
Mane 'n' tail

Essential oils
Rosemary
Bay

Oils
Castor oil
Wildgrowth
Extra virgin olive oil
Vitamin E
Evening primrose

Leave in Spray
Surge 14

At the moment collarbone length
Hope to be bralength by August 2005
Vitamin Challenge
Super grow out challenge

MonaLisa said:
Checking in!

@ Ebony- Welcome aboard! *waving* - curious are you a thick/coarse haired 4b? I'm just curious because I'm noticing the gravitation towards certain products in this thread - I'm fine haired and Kenra (based on the samples I got - didn't really do anything for me - and I'm wondering if that's the reason) - and I'm wondering if Nexxus/Kenra seems to work better for thicker haired 4a/b's?

You have a good stash in your regimen! The Pantene detangler is the best isn't it?! It's cheap and it works!

@ KeyLargo - that's a good point - as I stated above - I think there is a potential difference with product usage and hair texture within the 4 range. I see your down with the CON/NTM! Nice!

@ BocaGirl - *waving* I see we also use a lot of the same products! Oooh...I have a newly implemented protein combo - ManeNTail/AO GPB/UBH Conditioner - It's like combining the best of everything! Another check for the non-smellers of Aphoghee (I'm still trying to figure out why folks think it smells so bad :ohwell: ) and check on NTM serum usage! It's da bomb!

@SandySea - based on your avatar...your routine seems to be working for you. I think you're a fine haired, 4a/b. I could definitely see where your fine with the bantu set. The protective styling is working!:grin:

Ok just to get this straight. Are you saying you mix Mane N Tail, GPB and UBH together and use that as a protein treatment? Do you use heat and how long do you leave it on for?

Thanks

4b relaxed

shampoo - ntm

conditioner - ntm

co washes - vo5 (they're not too bad for 75 cents :p )

leave in - ntm

moisturizers - mango butter, surge, profectiv anti-breakage strenthener, africa's best oil.

@DJD! -Looking good! Congrats on BSL. 4a, Nexxus user...hmmmmm.
another check for mango butter user! and ntm!

@Valerie - Down with the MNT, Surging...very good.

@bocagirl - Yes, I mixed all of them together as my protein conditioner, leave on time may vary as it always does with me. Yesterday, I wound up leaving it on 2 plus hrs (25 minutes under a heat cap). This may not be for everyone...but this is what I wanted to try.

@Suceeda - down with NTM! anddd another check for Mango Butter user! I see we both have the same hair goal! Good Luck!:grin:

@Honeycomb - I heard the Elucence was good. Noting the WGO and Surge. Good stuff.

I know there's more out there! lol. This has actually been helpful to me...thanks everyone for their responses!:grin:

i'm a 4a/b also. Conditioner washes, using mayo and eggs, and stretching relaxers helped me grow. the brands i used are not important, in my opinion-- but they can be found in the "About Me" section of my Fotki Acct.

4b girl Checking in here.

PRODUCTS

--Shampoo-I use any one, doesn't matter as long as it doesn't have harsh ingredients like pepperment etc.alternate w/nexxus clarifying poo.
--Conditioners-of Course, NTM girl. NTM DAILY DEEP CONDITIONER
--JOHN FRIEDA FRIZZ EASE Xtra Strength Serum
--Leave In- RUSK SENSORIES SMOOTHER FOR WET HAIR
-NTM SILK TOUCH LEAVE IN FOR DRY HAIR.
--Oil-JOJOBA OIL
--NTM SERUM FOR SHINE

REGIMEN
Wash once a week
Deep condition once a week
Relaxer- No Lye-creme of Nature or Optimum no lye every 8-10 weeks.
Fan of Wrapping method which I do every night when not stretching relaxer.
Do not wear Protective styles and do not do Co washes.
My Satin Scarf is my Best Friend whih I wear all the time.
length -currently brastrap length right now.
Currently 15 Weeks Post.

Hey yall, 4A girl checking in!

Shampoos
Nexxus Therappe, Kenra Color Maintenance

Conditioners
Nexxus Humectress, Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer

Proteins
Nexxus Keraphix and Emergencee

Other
ORS Carrot Oil, B&B Oil it UP, StaSofFro, Elasta QP H-Two Leave-in, Biosilk Silk Therapy, IC Hair Polisher

Hi another 4a checking in :wave:

I basically use the same shampoo, conditioner & leave-in (K2H) that my hairdresser uses on my hair and this seems to work (if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!)

Shampoo
Keracare

Conditioners
Keracare mixed with Roux Porosity Control

Leave-ins
K2H
Surge
Profective Healthy Ends & Breakfree
Elasta QP Mango Butter

Serums
Keracare Silk n Seal

Daily spray bottle (own concoction)
Distilled water, olive oil, grapseed, lavender, peppermint, & rosemary oils

@Anky- Your hair looks great! You've made GREAT strides and progress! Congrats! Thanks for checking in and sharing. I noted that u use Suave Humectant...seems a lot of us do as well.

@Sylver2:notworthy - Hi NTM hair goddess! Hmmm..so u don't like mint in your poo...lol. Hi Five on the NTM usage...and u only wash 1x per week -- I'm torn between going back to 2x a week pooing or stick with the 1x. And congrats on making it 15 weeks stretching relaxer! You go!:grin:

@Candibaby - The Nexxus Pusha!!! :grin: Ya hair is looking good! Your Regimen
seems to be doing the trick for ya! Onward to BSL!

@Pradalover - you've got great hair! See the Keracare utilization...got that
in common..;)...and another check for Mango Butter usage!

Shampoos: elucence
Conditioners: kenra
Protein: joico k pak, affirm 5 n 1, hopefully aubrey organics too
Leave-ins: rusk sensories smoother, john freida serum
Relaxer: elasta qp regular

Bree...I swear I think u have one of the most simplified use of product on this friggin board...

I hear SouthernGirl in my ear..."Keep it Simple."

I'm trying...I'm trying...:ohwell:

Bree...ur hair is Gor-g-ous...nothing more to be said.

simplycee said:
Another 4a/b checking in.

- Motions Oil Moisture Regular Relaxer
- Rotating Kenra, Nexxus and NTM shampoos and Conditioners
- Aubrey's GPB, Keraphix and Emergencee for proteins
- NTM Silk Touch and Giovanni Direct leave ins
- Cantu Shea Butter Daily Moisturizer
- Evoo, Wheat Germ, Castor, Shea Butter and Coconut oils for sealing ends and pre shampoo treatmens.

Simplycee...I had meant to say that I like how u rotate ur shampoos and conditioners...that's what I do as well. I read that ur supposed to rotate so your hair doesn't get used to the product and stop working. I figure if I do this...I won't have to give what I love up.

But I've also seen on this board, folks seeming to do well utilizing just one product continuously. Always interesting what heads respond to.

MonaLisa said:
Bree...I swear I think u have one of the most simplified use of product on this friggin board...

I hear SouthernGirl in my ear..."Keep it Simple."

I'm trying...I'm trying...:ohwell:

Bree...ur hair is Gor-g-ous...nothing more to be said.

thanks mona :kiss:

when i first joined i would go crazy and broke trying to buy everything that was raved about. but now, i'm so happy i've found products that work.

4a/b here.
Shampoo: Suave Humectant
Conditioners: Suave Humectant and Milk and Honey, NTM deep recovery mask
Protein: ORS Hair Mayonnaise
Leave-ins: NTM Silk touch leave in, Salerm21
Others: NTM shine serum, Redken Heat Glide, jojoba oil, coconut oil, CDHHB replica (to tame new growth)

@Bree - yw:grin:

@Waterchylde - Your progress is GREAT!!!! Wow. And I note the usage of the Suave Humectant and the NTM...I feel u. Question...how do u like the poo? I have a bottle in my closet (I meant to get another conditioner), I used once...:ohwell:

Another 4a/b w/ fine hair!

Shampoos:
CON
Nexxuss Therappe
Salerm Protein

Conditioners:
Nexxus Humectress
Salerm Wheat Germ
AO GPB

Moisturizer
ORS Olive Oil Lotion
S-Curl
EVOO

I wash my hair weekly w/ poo and deep condition, alternating between moisturizing and protein conditioner. I also CW once a week with Suave Humectant Conditioner mixed w/ EVOO and Honey. I moisturize 2x day mixing my moisturizer with EVOO and S-Curl on my ends. I have noticed a difference in my ends and my hair as I am now 8 weeks post relaxer. I am trying to extend the weeks between relaxers and am trying to hold out to 10 weeks. Spraying S-Curl on my hair daily has helped keep my hair soft. By now my edges would be hard and crispy! I hope I can hold out two more weeks.

@ Sweetcakes! Hola fine haired sista!:p U must tell me how u like the Salerm poo. I now also must remember to add evoo and honey to my Suave Humectant...I've been using that ish dolo. ur hair is looking good in that 1/19 rollerset.

I think I'm a 4...I just wanted to come in here to see what everyone else was doing to grow their hair :look: (taking notes)

webby said:
I think I'm a 4...I just wanted to come in here to see what everyone else was doing to grow their hair :look: (taking notes)

Heyyyyyyyyyy Webby!:kiss: C'mon in gurl!!! I'm noting things as I go through
the thread as well.

Hello MonaLisa :wave: I am a 4a medium wih permanent hair color.

Shampoos: CON Ultra moisturing -green & white bottle (used every 3 days)
Conditioners: UBH deep conditioner(used everytime I shampoo)
Lucas exclusives moisturizing conditioner
Aphogee treatment for damage hair (used 1 week after perm)
Infusium 23 leave in conditioner(regular formula)
Moisturizers: UBH lotion creme moisiturizer(daily 2 times a day)
Sta Sof Fro(used to aid in airdtrying & baggie method) Oils: Evoo(used daily)

**I color my new growth 3 times a year**
Thank you for this thread MonaLisa! It is good to know what is working for other 4a/b's.

Hi Ladies,

Great thread!!!

I am a 4b-relaxed and fine

I use CON lye relaxer (professionally), relaxing every 7 weeks

Shampoos: CON, Nexxus Biotin, Motions

Conditioners: Mizani Moisturefuse, NTM Daily, Motions, LeKair Cholesterol,

Proteins: Emergencee, Milk Protein, Aphogee

Leave Ins: Lacio Lacio, Surge

Moisturizers: WGO, Surge Moisture Max (newly purchase/haven't decided if I
like it or not), Profectiv Mega Moisture

Routine: 2 washes weekly, 1 regular shampoo, 1 co-wash. I usually wear
hair in updos.

4a/b

My hair loves:
Kenra MC, Mane and Tail, Elucence, and Elasta products

Other:
Aphogee Treatment
Hi Pro Pac conditioner for Damaged hair
Keracare Humecto + Isoplus conditioning shampoo
Surge mixed with tea tree oil
Olive oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, shea butter, & qp mango butter
Creme of Nature Mild Lye Relaxer

@ Hair2Day - I see ur down with the CON - that's a staple for me & I see ur a Ultra Black Hair Care user...that's what I used on my road back to getting my hair correct. I've recently re-implemented the conditioner. I'm glad the thread has been helpful, I'm also learning.:)

@ MsIncognito - Hey Fine Haired one! Another down with the CON...I peep the NTM, Aphoghee usage. Another commonality. Your updo is cute! Happy Hair Growing to you!!

@ChicoMorena - Lovely Hair! Thick..Geez...I wanna be close to that one day! Noting Aphoghee usage, Humecto and qp Mango Butter...I got all that in my regime. Cool. Chico - how often do you poo? 1x or 2x per week...and do you CO wash at all? thanks.

MonaLisa said:
@ChicaMorena - Lovely Hair! Thick..Geez...I wanna be close to that one day! Noting Aphoghee usage, Humecto and qp Mango Butter...I got all that in my regime. Cool. Chica - how often do you poo? 1x or 2x per week...and do you CO wash at all? thanks.

I do a regular wash and deep condition once a week, usually on Fridays. For the last few months I've been condition washing my hair once a week, usually on Tuesdays. If I rollerset my hair and wear it straight I'll only wash my hair once a week.

chicamorena said:
I do a regular wash and deep condition once a week, usually on Fridays. For the last few months I've been condition washing my hair once a week, usually on Tuesdays. If I rollerset my hair and wear it straight I'll only wash my hair once a week.

That sounds like a possible gameplan. I want to implement some more moisture during this cold weather..I may go back to the CO washes now 1x and a reg. wash/deep con on Saturdays.

Thanks Chica!:D

Back