COULD AIRDRYING HARM THE HAIR?

Nanyanika

The reason why i ask, is because after every wash, i moisturise my hair well and airdry in a bun and notice that after my hair is dried it doesn't feel smooth or soft and my ends are frizzy, especially when i take it down from the baggie and let it dry. Recently i had enough of the crunchy feeling hair and blowdried my hair straight, i noticed how so much more moisturised and silky my hair feels even my frizzy ends lie better. My hair isn't breaking and isn't shedding as much. has anyone experienced a difference in their hair when airdrying and using heat (direct/indirect).

I can only speak for myself, but I know I have less breakage when I use heat as opposed to just letting my hair air-dry.

Den, I am gonna be honest with you. Airdrying + my hair = massive shedding and breakage. This just started happening to me this summer. I used to be the queen of air drying in a ponytail or a bun and then BAM all of a sudden it stopped working. After a good trim I began rollersetting and my hair is much, much better.

I know it was the airdrying because when I stopped it my hair started doing much, much better. I know it works for many. Heck it even worked for me for a while but now it doesn't work for me. No matter how much moisture I add, even if I don't comb it again until wash day the outcome is the same.

navsegda said:
I can only speak for myself, but I know I have less breakage when I use heat as opposed to just letting my hair air-dry.
YOU TOO, gosh i thought is just me...I swear my hair splits more too, after washing my hair i'm thinking of going applying products and going under a medium heat hooded drier, could i do this instead? because i can't rollerset.

I do. I got the same feeling last a few weeks ago after using the blowdry for the 1st time in about 6 months. I was like :eek: at how much better my hair felt.

I have used it once since then, as well :naughty:

But, I am going to go back to airdrying because I flatiron afterwards and that is just too much heat.

I think if I did not use my flatiron, I would feel better about my blowdryer use.

The dryer is the devil! It makes me feel like everything is all good for a while and then BAM - breakage!

My hair is the opposite, if I let it air-dry while placing some oil on it dries nice and moisturized ends and all, but my last roller set done under the soft bonnet left my ends frizzy.
But if I just flat iron my hair it doesn’t have a problem looking nice and smooth

den1 said:
YOU TOO, gosh i thought is just me...I swear my hair splits more too, after washing my hair i'm thinking of going applying products and going under a medium heat hooded drier, could i do this instead? because i can't rollerset.

This is what I do when I don't feel like rollersetting.

Hmmmm....
This is interesting. I had the most breakage and damage when I used heat to dry my hair. Now that I've been strictly air drying, in two braids or a loose bun, my breakage is literally gone . I have not had any breakage at all in the longest time, just normal shedding.

What kind of leave ins are you using when you air dry your hair? Coating my ends with avocado, or hemp seed butter before letting them dry has made a world of difference for me.

I was going to make a thread about this too

I think after my last experience I would rather use direct, heat on full power everyday for an hour than to airdry every week... its probably because im 8 months into my transition, but never again, my hair was TANGLED!!

When i blowdry, its seeminly the only way I can get the moisture from the conditioner, my hair also looks more healthy and at least I don't see instant damage, not sure if heat as taken a collective toll on my hair as of yet.. i dont think so

Last edited:
simplycee said:
Den, I am gonna be honest with you. Airdrying + my hair = massive shedding and breakage. This just started happening to me this summer. I used to be the queen of air drying in a ponytail or a bun and then BAM all of a sudden it stopped working. After a good trim I began rollersetting and my hair is much, much better.

I know it was the airdrying because when I stopped it my hair started doing much, much better. I know it works for many. Heck it even worked for me for a while but now it doesn't work for me. No matter how much moisture I add, even if I don't comb it again until wash day the outcome is the same.
OMG i wish someone had told me some of the negative effects of airdrying....everything you've said has been happening to me, no wonder why my ends act like that. I have been airdrying for years and experienced all these things. you'll have to teach to to rollerset now.what products are you ladies using for your rollersets, and what combs? thanks

HoneyDew said:
I do. I got the same feeling last a few weeks ago after using the blowdry for the 1st time in about 6 months. I was like :eek: at how much better my hair felt.

I have used it once since then, as well :naughty:

But, I am going to go back to airdrying because I flatiron afterwards and that is just too much heat.

I think if I did not use my flatiron, I would feel better about my blowdryer use.

The dryer is the devil! It makes me feel like everything is all good for a while and then BAM - breakage!
lol i agree though the blowdrier thingy...is not good to use too often. i was thinking more along the lines of using indirect heat, to decrease risk of damage. how often do you flat-iron after airdrying?

I was actually thinking about doing one thing, though. Since the Solia can be used on damp hair, I thought about skipping the blow drying altogether (or perhaps just using the cold shot button) and just using my Solia as the only heat on the hair. I'll let you know how it works.

Qetesh said:
My hair is the opposite, if I let it air-dry while placing some oil on it dries nice and moisturized ends and all, but my last roller set done under the soft bonnet left my ends frizzy.
But if I just flat iron my hair it doesn’t have a problem looking nice and smooth
my hair is the opposite of yours...when i was natural my hair use always feel very dry, even though i applied good products. Just goes to prove what works for some may not work others.

camellia said:
Hmmmm....
This is interesting. I had the most breakage and damage when I used heat to dry my hair. Now that I've been strictly air drying, in two braids or a loose bun, my breakage is literally gone . I have not had any breakage at all in the longest time, just normal shedding.

What kind of leave ins are you using when you air dry your hair? Coating my ends with avocado, or hemp seed butter before letting them dry has made a world of difference for me.
Hi Camellia, i'm using keracare products they're very moisturising, plus i also do the baggie method.

I air dry, but as long as I roll my ends and rake my hair into a bun with my boar bristle brush, mine is soft and moisturized. Otherwise, my ends suck air-dried. Heat and my hair are not friends. I actually need to dust really well from blowdrying my hair a couple of week ago.

KissKiss said:
I was going to make a thread about this too

I think after my last experience I would rather use direct, heat on full power everyday for an hour than to airdry every week... its probably because im 8 months into my transition, but never again, my hair was TANGLED!!

When i blowdry, its seeminly the only way I can get the moisture from the conditioner, my hair also looks more healthy and at least I don't see instant damage, not sure if heat as taken a collective toll on my hair as of yet.. i dont think so

Seems like i wrote this thread at the correct time. my hair was a tangled mess too on SUNDAY so i had to use heat and i'm glad i did. I'm not saying that i will use direct heat though. it would help if i knew how to wrap set, or use rollers.

Wishin4BSL said:
I air dry, but as long as I roll my ends and rake my hair into a bun with my boar bristle brush, mine is soft and moisturized. Otherwise, my ends suck air-dried. Heat and my hair are not friends. I actually need to dust really well from blowdrying my hair a couple of week ago.
I wish my hair was like yours...see my hair only stays soft in a baggie as soon as i wear airdried hair out its just frizz and roughness, it doesn't matter which product i use.

navsegda said:
I was actually thinking about doing one thing, though. Since the Solia can be used on damp hair, I thought about skipping the blow drying altogether (or perhaps just using the cold shot button) and just using my Solia as the only heat on the hair. I'll let you know how it works.
please do let me know how the solia works thanks

den1 said:
OMG i wish someone had told me some of the negative effects of airdrying....everything you've said has been happening to me, no wonder why my ends act like that. I have been airdrying for years and experienced all these things. you'll have to teach to to rollerset now.what products are you ladies using for your rollersets, and what combs? thanks

Den, can you do a couple ponytails and then roll up the ends? That's my quickie rollerset. Or you can comb your hair straight down and sit under a hooded dryer and when its dry then make a bun (I do this too when I'm in a hurry). OR do Sylver's scarf method (check her fotki for the exact steps).

For my rollersets I poo and deep con as I normally do. After I do my final rinse I add my leave in (Razc Perfect for Perms, Rusk Smoother, Lacio LAcio or Salerm 21) then my serum (NTM, Fantasia Olive oil or Biosilk). I combed first with my wide toothed Jibere Shower comb then a smaller tooth (NOT RAT TAILED) comb and then sectioned for rolling.

PM me if you want me to go into more detail.

den1 said:
How does your hair turn out when you hang it loose under the dryer?

Fine because I usually just bun up or use a clip similar to what you have in your siggy. Sometimes I use a warm (not hot) flat iron after and it looks like I blow dried it.

simplycee said:
Den, can you do a couple ponytails and then roll up the ends? That's my quickie rollerset. Or you can comb your hair straight down and sit under a hooded dryer and when its dry then make a bun (I do this too when I'm in a hurry). OR do Sylver's scarf method (check her fotki for the exact steps).

For my rollersets I poo and deep con as I normally do. After I do my final rinse I add my leave in (Razc Perfect for Perms, Rusk Smoother, Lacio LAcio or Salerm 21) then my serum (NTM, Fantasia Olive oil or Biosilk). I combed first with my wide toothed Jibere Shower comb then a smaller tooth (NOT RAT TAILED) comb and then sectioned for rolling.

PM me if you want me to go into more detail.
Thank-you for your help simplycee, i have only one question if i decide to do the ponytail rollerset how many should i do? and should i use ouchless ponytail holders? Thanks for reminding me of sylver's scarf method should i do this after drying the hair?

Hey Den, for me, airdrying=breakage. I tried it in so many different ways like braids, hanging loose, buns and it breaks as soon as its comb, feels hard and tangled no matter how much I detangled it whilst it was wet, also, no products help at all. Rollersetting on medium under the hood dryer however is the best method to dry your hair smooth, with bounce, softness, movement and shine!

It is hard at first but the pony tail method in my album is an easy alternative. I did a wrap set recently and if your hair is relaxed bone straight, it may work well for you. For me, the outside was smooth but the inside was frizzy and needed to be flat ironed afterwards, the tension from the rollers and meduim heat really help smooth out the hair. Maybe you could get a friend to do it, or wash it yourself and go to a good salon for them to put the rollers in for you.

I use my jilbere shower comb to comb each section first, then my denman rattail comb to make it smooth...

wow, airdrying is my baby's daddy! :lol:

no seriously though... i airdry ALL the time. the key for me is do not comb it until i wash it again.

airdrying has helped thicken my hair and it's enabled me to retain length. I wash then airdry with a satin scarf. sometimes, i'll do the ponytail method. anyhoo, after it dries i roll with the purple flexis.

You know what? Up until this thread, I never though about it, but my hair does get more breakage with air drying than when I used the blowdryer. I style my hair after it's dry, but I never lost hair when I combed it after blow drying. But I wash my hair every other day, so I can't use that much heat all the time.

I airdry and it's been my savior:) I really saw smooth ends when I began rollersetting. I use Salerm21, BB Growth Lotion, or SE, sit under the hooded dryer to get my scalp dry, then let the rest dry naturally. I usually wear a french twist, bun or phony pony so this is perfect for me!!

lonei said:
Hey Den, for me, airdrying=breakage. I tried it in so many different ways like braids, hanging loose, buns and it breaks as soon as its comb, feels hard and tangled no matter how much I detangled it whilst it was wet, also, no products help at all. Rollersetting on medium under the hood dryer however is the best method to dry your hair smooth, with bounce, softness, movement and shine!

It is hard at first but the pony tail method in my album is an easy alternative. I did a wrap set recently and if your hair is relaxed bone straight, it may work well for you. For me, the outside was smooth but the inside was frizzy and needed to be flat ironed afterwards, the tension from the rollers and meduim heat really help smooth out the hair. Maybe you could get a friend to do it, or wash it yourself and go to a good salon for them to put the rollers in for you.

I use my jilbere shower comb to comb each section first, then my denman rattail comb to make it smooth...
Hi lonei, i'm really glad that you posted about your experience with airdrying. when i see so many ladies on LHCF who rollerset and have long healthy hair i thought well they must be doing something right. Thank-you so much for this info I think i'll get my friend to help me rollerset my hair for me, for now i'm gonna do the ponytail rollerset version. off to peek at your instructions

DSylla said:
wow, airdrying is my baby's daddy! :lol:

no seriously though... i airdry ALL the time. the key for me is do not comb it until i wash it again.

airdrying has helped thicken my hair and it's enabled me to retain length. I wash then airdry with a satin scarf. sometimes, i'll do the ponytail method. anyhoo, after it dries i roll with the purple flexis.
I agree they're some benefits, my hair is mega thick, but i cannot leave my hair down after airdrying my ends split and dry out and my hair would be tangly, i don't comb the hair either until wash day. it seems to not be working for me anymore

den1 said:
Hi lonei, i'm really glad that you posted about your experience with airdrying. when i see so many ladies on LHCF who rollerset and have long healthy hair i thought well they must be doing something right. Thank-you so much for this info I think i'll get my friend to help me rollerset my hair for me, for now i'm gonna do the ponytail rollerset version. off to peek at your instructions

Hey, no probs, if you have any questions, let me know...

tenderheaded said:
I airdry and it's been my savior:) I really saw smooth ends when I began rollersetting. I use Salerm21, BB Growth Lotion, or SE, sit under the hooded dryer to get my scalp dry, then let the rest dry naturally. I usually wear a french twist, bun or phony pony so this is perfect for me!!
I wish my hair turned out like yours

Back