Confused how to moisturize hair. I know it's not oil.

natdream

Hi I have been confuse about how to moisturize my hair. I have read Sistaslick's hair breakage thread, and it is very informative, but I am still confuse. :perplexed
What I understood was that water moisturize the hair and by putting oil on top seals it. If I am right, my hair would always be wet and I wouldn't have much of a hair style. Please someone help. 2 questions.....What product to look for to moisturize and do butters like shea butter, olive butter, avocado or mango butter moisturize or are these sealants too? Thank you.:hair:

No, just a product thats a spray or creme with water as a first ingredient---that is a moisturizer
And you just rub/smooth it on your hair, then put some oil on

Products like profective, bb lotion, organic root stimulator--

Im not sure about that butters and how people feel about them, but i thnk they are sealers

Hi I have been confuse about how to moisturize my hair. I have read Sistaslick's hair breakage thread, and it is very informative, but I am still confuse. :perplexed
What I understood was that water moisturize the hair and by putting oil on top seals it. If I am right, my hair would always be wet and I wouldn't have much of a hair style. Please someone help. 2 questions.....What product to look for to moisturize and do butters like shea butter, olive butter, avocado or mango butter moisturize or are these sealants too? Thank you.:hair:

Moisturizers are water-based with humectects/water binding ingredients(glycerin, honey, hyaluronic, etc.) and my fav moisturizers are nexxus headress or giovanni. The butters you mention are good for sealing in moisture, but are not "moisturizers" themselves as they are oil based emolients. "Moisture" means water based /hydrating ingredients and "sealants" are oil-based/emolient ingredients. I hope this helps and that others will chime in to help clarify further . . .

So I could mix honey or glycerin with some water. That would be one way to moisturize. Can you see my pic? I can't.

My favorite moisturizer is also my favorite leave in conditioner.
Abba Nourishing Leave in. I put it on and then seal it in with jojoba and a few drops of Ylang Ylang or with a small amount of avocado butter.

My favorite moisturizer is also my favorite leave in conditioner.
Abba Nourishing Leave in. I put it on and then seal it in with jojoba and a few drops of Ylang Ylang or with a small amount of avocado butter.

You can moisturizer with conditioner!:spinning: .........Do you mean on dry hair?

You can moisturizer with conditioner!:spinning: .........Do you mean on dry hair?

Yes, you can :yep:. You only use very little. Don't 'wet' your hair with the product. I just take maybe a 'fingertip' amount of product, rub it between my hands and run my hands over my ends. I just grap my hair as if I'm going to put it in a ponytail and run my hands over the ends mainly. I may repeat if I feel it's necessary--going over the entire length of my hair. Then I 'seal' it with the Jojoba and a couple drops of Ylang Ylang (my fav essential oil). It works for me. HTH.

There is another product similar to the Abba Nourishing leave in that I use as well. It's by Kiehls Formula 133. It's also a leave in and grooming aid that you can use in the same manner. They are both great products, never weigh your hair down and are never greasy.

Last edited:
NatDream...

Your hair is very pretty in your avatar...how did you get the curls concentrated on the ends like that? I've always wanted to wear my hair like that.

NatDream...

Your hair is very pretty in your avatar...how did you get the curls concentrated on the ends like that? I've always wanted to wear my hair like that.

I noticed that too. Your hair is very pretty. The curls are TDF and your hair is very healthy looking too:yep:.

I use leave in as my daily moisturizer also...NTM Silk Touch has been my baby daddy, but I just bought some Giovanni Direct and want to try that for a month.

ETA: I seal my ends with 2-3 drops of Jojoba oil

NatDream...

I went to the hair salon and she blow dry and curl it with a flat iron. Then I pin curled it.
But I started to roller set my hair and pin curl my hair and it came out about the same. Here is a pic. If you need more info. Let me know.
View attachment 5477

Last edited:
Back