CONES - why...why...why

Cayenne0622

I hate that the cones aka silicones in hair products are apparently water resistant. It seems like they make my hair so smooth and gives a little weight to my normally fine strands. I'm afraid I will inhibit my efforts to moisturize my hair if I continue to use them.
I found this info. It sounds like the last one my be a little better than the other two? Any thoughts?

Dimethicone - Imparts shine, lubricity and water resistance in hair products. Also acts as an emollient and offers anti-whitening properties and superior conditioning.

Cyclomethicone (Volatiles) - Carrier for antiperspirants, moisturizers, foam/gel shaving products, etc. Also acts as an emollient and is used in hair conditioners.
Dimethicone Copolyol - Used as a water soluble surfactant and emulsifier

Interesting you should post this. I've been on a cone free experiment for the past month and my hair has never been happier.

One product that works like a cone based product (serum) is Eqyss Survivor Super Detangler Shine. The ingredients: Eqyss proprietary emollients, vitamin E acetate, keratin protein, panthenol, sweet clover, whit willow, nasturtium, wild rose berry, sage, walnut tree, red poppy, color.

I love the way cones make my hair feel but found that I had to clarify entirely too often because of the coating. Now, my regimen is almost completely cone-free and I do not have dry starving for moisture hair anymore. It was dry and popping even though I would CO wash almost everyday. Go figure.

VWVixxen said:
Interesting you should post this. I've been on a cone free experiment for the past month and my hair has never been happier.

One product that works like a cone based product (serum) is Eqyss Survivor Super Detangler Shine. The ingredients: Eqyss proprietary emollients, vitamin E acetate, keratin protein, panthenol, sweet clover, whit willow, nasturtium, wild rose berry, sage, walnut tree, red poppy, color.

I love the way cones make my hair feel but found that I had to clarify entirely too often because of the coating. Now, my regimen is almost completely cone-free and I do not have dry starving for moisture hair anymore. It was dry and popping even though I would CO wash almost everyday. Go figure.

Hey Vixen - I wonder if their secret ingredient Eqyss proprietary emollients is some kind of silicone? Have you contacted the company with that question? I'm just curious. Everything else sounds great though and if its working for your hair, that's the main goal. Where do you buy it? I'm very curious about it because the cones are probably one of the reasons my hair was needing moisture so badly. I hadn't been using my serums for about a month because of the cones but its been hard to get that shine that serums give me with any other product.

Its funny that you mentioned this because I just became addicted to cones.But I didnt know the harm in usind them.

Cayenne0622 said:
I hate that the cones aka silicones in hair products are apparently water resistant. It seems like they make my hair so smooth and gives a little weight to my normally fine strands. I'm afraid I will inhibit my efforts to moisturize my hair if I continue to use them.
I found this info. It sounds like the last one my be a little better than the other two? Any thoughts?

Dimethicone - Imparts shine, lubricity and water resistance in hair products. Also acts as an emollient and offers anti-whitening properties and superior conditioning.

Cyclomethicone (Volatiles) - Carrier for antiperspirants, moisturizers, foam/gel shaving products, etc. Also acts as an emollient and is used in hair conditioners.

The two that I underlines I beleive are water soluble. Meaning they can rinse out with just water.

If you shampoo with any kind of shampoo with sulfates you should be good. You just may need to do an extra lather.

I don't think you should be afraid of them. People think you need to use a clarifying poo to get rid of cones, when in reality any shampoo with harsh sulfates (lol) will do the trick. You may just need to do an extra lather. Clarifying does the trick AND get's rid of grime/buildup.

MizaniMami said:
The two that I underlines I beleive are water soluble. Meaning they can rinse out with just water.

If you shampoo with any kind of shampoo with sulfates you should be good. You just may need to do an extra lather.

I don't think you should be afraid of them. People think you need to use a clarifying poo to get rid of cones, when in reality any shampoo with harsh sulfates (lol) will do the trick. You may just need to do an extra lather. Clarifying does the trick AND get's rid of grime/buildup.

Dimethicone is NOT water soluable, but the other one you underlined is.

Yes, you are right, most silicones can be removed with sulfate shampoo, not just a clarifying shampoo. Silicones are only the devil to you if you are on CG or not using sulfate shampoos.

Vixxen - cool. Keep me posted.

Sexy C - Mizani has a good point. I guess we don't have to be afraid of them, we just shouldn't abuse them.

Mizani - thanks lady! you always have some good points and input.

Cheleigh said:
Dimethicone is NOT water soluable, but the other one you underlined is.

Yes, you are right, most silicones can be removed with sulfate shampoo, not just a clarifying shampoo. Silicones are only the devil to you if you are on CG or not using sulfate shampoos.

Yep! You are right! I get those "Dimeth" cones mixed up!

Cayenne, your welc. I hope you find what works for you!

Does anyone know what phenyl trimethicone is? It's in the NTM leave-in. Cones are in a lot of my conditioners and my hair seems to always have little breaking hairs (not shedding) every day. I wonder if it could be the cones? I do everything else. I'm trying to deep condition every week instead of every other week to help, but I still have little breaking hairs.

Wishin4BSL said:
Does anyone know what phenyl trimethicone is? It's in the NTM leave-in. Cones are in a lot of my conditioners and my hair seems to always have little breaking hairs (not shedding) every day. I wonder if it could be the cones? I do everything else. I'm trying to deep condition every week instead of every other week to help, but I still have little breaking hairs.

That's the cone that produces shine. That one is water resistant. So I believe it is not soluble in water. Cheleigh, correct me if I am wrong....

Have you clarified? Or maybe you should clarify and do a light protein?

Cayenne0622 said:

When I first came to the hairboards, I became afraid of cones also, but I realize that when used in moderation that they're okay...all of my products don't contain cones.

I believe that there's something to the term "carrier" that's used. Somehow, it must still allow some amount of moisture to get through or something since it's just a "carrier" for moisturizers, etc.

My favorite, Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in, works wonders for my hair and Cyclomethicone is the 2nd ingredient. I was a bit hesitant to use it at first, but I'm so happy that I did come to use it. I LOVE that stuff, and I do believe that it's moisturizing.

Dedicated to my baby, Rusk Sensories Smoother:

Baby I can see my worth, living here on God's green earth
You don't know what you've done to me
I never thought I'd need you desperately
It's kinda sick how I'm stuck on you
But I don't care cause I'm needin you
And how I feel will remain the same
Because you're my baby.....

baby, baby, baby, baby, babyyyyyyy :love:

Last edited:
MizaniMami said:
That's the cone that produces shine. That one is water resistant. So I believe it is not soluble in water. Cheleigh, correct me if I am wrong....

Have you clarified? Or maybe you should clarify and do a light protein?

You're right--not water soluable at all--in fact, it's used in part for its water repellent properties.

TSUprincess04 said:
When I first came to the hairboards, I became afraid of cones also, but I realize that when used in moderation that they're okay...all of my products don't contain cones.

I believe that there's something to the term "carrier" that's used. Somehow, it must still allow some amount of moisture to get through or something since it's just a "carrier" for moisturizers, etc.

My favorite, Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in, works wonders for my hair and Cyclomethicone is the 2nd ingredient. I was a bit hesitant to use it at first, but I'm so happy that I did come to use it. I LOVE that stuff, and I do believe that it's moisturizing.

Dedicated to my baby, Rusk Sensories Smoother:

Baby I can see my worth, living here on God's green earth
You don't know what you've done to me
I never thought I'd need you desperately
It's kinda sick how I'm stuck on you
But I don't care cause I'm needin you
And how I feel will remain the same
Because you're my baby.....

baby, baby, baby, baby, babyyyyyyy :love:

LMMFAO!!!! This is crazy how we love products here, only on LHCF.:lachen:

You just reminded me, I gotta download that! I loved that song!

According to Eqyss:

Dear customer,

Survivor does not contain silicone. None of our products do. Thanks for your email.

EQyss Grooming Products

Now, I'm not sure if that satisfies the question of dimethicone. :confused:

MizaniMami said:
LMMFAO!!!! This is crazy how we love products here, only on LHCF.:lachen:

You just reminded me, I gotta download that! I loved that song!

She is a hot mess for that love poem! :grin: I LOVE IT!!! Too funny!

I guess we should start a shout out page to the ONE product we love the mostesssssss!

P.S. I had been having tiny broken hairs too and couldn't figure it out. hmmmm

Back