Conditioning Order

imani97

I've done a search, and haven't found a thread on this. In what order do you condition if you use more than one conditioner? I know that the easy response may be, "use one," but this time it isn't that simple. I currently use Paul Mitchell's Skinny line and this has been an integral element in allowing me to manage my twenty week post relaxer, 4B, texlaxed hair. Complicated! Anyway, I just bought the Aveda Damage Remedy treatment. As I'm looking at it, I realize that it is a reconstructor and I think that you have to use a moisturizing conditioner after reconstructors? Outside of protein and reconstructors, are there any other things to consider when conditioning in terms of order? Thanks!

exactly. I would use the protein heavy one first, and then save my most conditioning ones for the end to aid in detangling and an overall soft feel.

Your hair is only going to soak up a certain amount of conditioner/water. After that, everything else is going to just rinse off. So if you use 2 conditoners, i have 2 suggesitons concerning order:

1. Maybe try applying either one on dry hair so that your hair can absorb as much conditoner and as less water as possible. That way when you rinse the first off, you can still absorb some of the second conditioner.

2. If you can stand it, try to do a cool rinse so that your open cuticles will close up and 'trap' some of the moisturizing conditioner thats left on your strand.

HTH.

if you're using aveda damage remedy line, like i did this a.m. and i'm very pleased, there's no reason for you to follow with another conditioner.

it's been my experience aveda works BEST with aveda products only - nothing else. follow exact instructions.

btw, the protein in the damage remedy line is OK to use regularly - more than once a week with no concerns about too much protein.

mizanimami - whatchu think?

newslady said:
if you're using aveda damage remedy line, like i did this a.m. and i'm very pleased, there's no reason for you to follow with another conditioner.

it's been my experience aveda works BEST with aveda products only - nothing else. follow exact instructions.

btw, the protein in the damage remedy line is OK to use regularly - more than once a week with no concerns about too much protein.

mizanimami - whatchu think?

I don't know if I can do this though. My hair is too hard to manage without using the Paul Mitchell conditioner. It adds the slip that I need to detangle and somehow makes my hair easier to manage even after I've rinsed it out. Will Damage Remedy do the same? If so, I'm sold! Also, I didn't know how much to use. Any suggestions?

Back