concerns about B-5 (Pantothenic Acid)

SweetNic_JA

Are there any 4a/4b FINE haired people taking 1000mg (or more) of B-5 / Pantothenic Acid that have noticed a significant increase in thickness?

i'm mostly 4a and i'm implementing B-5 in my regime on friday. my hair is FINE and i've seen results in the past with vits, but i would never be consistent for more than 3 months at a time /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'm not really sure of my hair classification, but I believe I have majority of 4a fine . I've been using Pantothenic Acid for the last 3 months and I've noticed that my new growth is coming in thicker. But I'm doing 500mg/day.

I've been taking B5 for almost 5 months now and there is a dramatic difference. I take 1000 mgs. a day. After taking it for 2 months I took out my braids and there was a visible difference. I wear braid extensions and my hair is natural. When I remove a braid and stretch my hair to it's full length you can tell where the thicker part of my hair is which is about 3-4 inches from the root and the rest, pre-b5 is noticeably thinner. Depending on how obvious this is when I get my hair pressed I may have to cut these ends off.

You know I was going to take this stuff anyway but this has just reaffirmed my decision.

B5 it is then. /images/graemlins/driver.gif

I've been taking 800mg for 3-4 months now and my hair is a lot thicker. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

i think tracy said she used b5 as well and it created an overall thicker look. i am hoping using this wont make the ends look like they are see through. it would be so stressful to have to cut overall healthy ends because its not as thick as the rest of the hair. God bless you all.

Azul I asked tracy about this and she said that overall her hair looks thicker not just the new growth and she said she's been using it for about 3 months (I think)

BTW seeing as we are on the topic of B5 a brand that (hair gurus) Jade & Amethyst recommended was the Solgar brand for B5

I think it was the twinlab brand that Tracy took.

sweetnic, my hair is 4A but thick. i still take the B5 because of a shedding issue that i had. i've been taking the Vitamin Shoppe brand since september. my hair has definitely gotten thicker.

adrienne

LD,

I've actually been using the B5 for 3 years. I noticed results within 3 months. I'm mostly 3c.

Just as a note - I tried Solgar (one 60 capsule bottle 2 per day so it lasted a month) and it didn't work as well for me as the Twinlab did, so I swtiched back. I find that when the b5 is working for me by week 7 my roots that are growing in are impossible to control. I have to wet my hair to style it because the new growth is very curly and very thick. With Solgar I was fine at weeks 8, 9 and 10 which was a difference for me.

I'm sure the recommendation for the Solgar will work fine generally for most people though. Because I've been taking them so long I just had the opportunity to compare and decided to go with the Twinlab. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nah, it's not helping with the shedding—i wish! i just thought since i was losing so much hair, i might as well try to make the hair that i keep thicker. lol!

adrienne

Thanks for clearing that up Tracy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know what's it's like with product recommendations by the hair gurus, but knowing me and my fast self I'm usually quick to try everything. I was deciding between the brand you took and the brand Jade21 recommended. I guess it's all about trial and error. I'll try one for 6 weeks between touch ups and the then the other brand and then compare.

Basically I'm just hoping the cheaper one will work better for me. What quantity does the twinlab come in the bottle? And are they tablets or capsules?

I get 60 capsule bottles for less than 6 or 7 dollars most of the time. Sometimes cheaper.

Solgar is awesome I'm sure and will effectuate exactly the same result on some heads. It's worth a try if the Twinlab doesn't work certainly. When I first got the rec. from Jade I ran the idea of the Twinlab brand by her (I was on a budget at the time and Twinlab was readily available in regualr local drugstores) and she approved so it's been co-signed. LOL! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been taking Puritan's Pride and it's been working pretty well for me. I probably would only change if I found it somewhere else much cheaper.

LondonDiva,
I've been taking Puritan's Pride biotin for about 5 months now and the growth is pretty consistent. Because I've never taken any other brand biotin I have nothing to compare it against.What really boosted my growth rate was Puritan's Pride Amino 1500. I recently just switched to Twin Labs liquid aminos because I got tired of swallwoing those big horse pills and the liquid absorbs quicker in my system.

Thanks for the responses. I've been taking 1000mg B-5 since Friday (5 days) and I have seen an incredible difference in my skin. I look at my skin and say "WOW"...haven't done that in a while. It doesn't work miracles but my skin is smoother and it is glowing.

It's too soon to look for increased thickness but your posts make me optimistic.

Thanks ladies

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Thanks for the responses. I've been taking 1000mg B-5 since Friday (5 days) and I have seen an incredible difference in my skin. I look at my skin and say "WOW"...haven't done that in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a wonderful little "side effect" of B-5? /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914 said:
nah, it's not helping with the shedding&amp;#8212;i wish! i just thought since i was losing so much hair, i might as well try to make the hair that i keep thicker. lol!

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

Giiirl my hair was shedding so much I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif I've been VERY consistent with my vitamins and care routine so I'm pretty sure it's attributed to stress. (moving, wedding, job-hunting). But the thing that SEEMS to be getting it under control is using and essential oil mixture on my hair at least every other night. Plus I do my best not to touch my hair at all in between washings. Last night I did my conditioner wash and cholesterol deep conditioning and there was very little hair in the comb or stuck to my hands. THANK GOD! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

legs71 said:
LondonDiva,
I've been taking Puritan's Pride biotin for about 5 months now and the growth is pretty consistent. Because I've never taken any other brand biotin I have nothing to compare it against.What really boosted my growth rate was Puritan's Pride Amino 1500. I recently just switched to Twin Labs liquid aminos because I got tired of swallwoing those big horse pills and the liquid absorbs quicker in my system.

[/ QUOTE ]

What have I been saying? PROTEIN does wonders, doesn't it? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Legs, that is protein you're taking, right? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Leshia,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the body converts protein into amino acids. Proteins/Amino Acids really work wonders!

Since I get most of my vites from Puritans Pride I ordered my B-5 from there, too &amp; just began taking it a couple of weeks ago so the jury's still out. It's time release &amp; the ingredients on the label looked fine to me.

I've just added Solgar Pantothenic Acid, 550mg and
L-Cysteine, 500mg. I take 2 of each with the rest of my "gazillion vitamins". It's too early for me tell, so I'll try to post an update.

4b Relaxed hair

Regime
Wash: 1-2 times week
Pre-Shampoo Hot Oil Treatment: Olive oil &amp; honey
Shampoo: Loreal Mega Moisture Nuturing Shampoo
Reconstructor: Emergencee (Bi-weekly)
Moisturizing Conditioner: Loreal Mega Moisture Moisturizing Cream (for dry chemically processed hair)
ACV rinse
Apoghee Leave-In Conditioner (Apply twice daily)
WGO

Hmmm...I just came back from VS and bought a big a$$ bottle of B-5 (300 capsules--which will last me 160 days), It really wasn't in my budget but it was on sale so I bought it. Perhaps I should do what LD suggested. Switch brands between touchups to see the difference. But since I'm not that observant not suer if its worth my time. Does anyone know if there's any truth to having to switch up brands sometimes when taking supplements?

Any thoughts on this? I still haven't opened the package yet.

I'd like to jump on the band wagon but when I tried i got a whopping headache. I just take b-complex w/ the B5 in it. I'm glad others are seeing results!

scratchchin.gif
i gess its too soon to be expectin results but i've been takin the b5 and havent really noticed a difference in thickness but have noticed it in hair growth and strength
smile.gif

I definately have a difference in thickness. I took a single strand and bent it in a u to compare the new growth hair to the old and the newer hair is twice the thickness! very visable to the eye. I roll the old between my fingers and can barely feel it but the new section feels like I'm rolling a thick piece of thread.

scratchchin.gif
hmmm i started taking biotin not too long ago and would like to have new growth and thicker hair. i already have thick hair so the thicker the better.
smile.gif
God bless you all.

Should one take B5 alone?

I read online somewhere that Biotin and B5 work well/synergistically together. But yet I believe it says you should not take a single B vitamin only,.....instead. to get a B-complex with all of the B vitamins in it. Is this better to do?

And how would I know not to exceed or not, because some B's are soluble and others are not.

Thanks in advance

Back