Colored Dry Snapping Hair - What to Do?

wyldcurlz

my hair is highlighted and lately its very dry, hay stack dry and its snapping. it's rough to the touch also. what should i do??? any good products you'd recommend? how should i use them? can i reverse this and get my hair back to silky and healthy?

Have you tried deep conditioning? My co-worker colored her hair and it was really dry and hard looking I told her to try deep conditioning and it looked wayyy better afterwards. Hopefully some more ladies with hair-color will chime in.

I have color too, and one thing I've learned about color treated hair is that it needs moisture, moisture, MOISTURE!!!!

Join the deep conditioning challenge and start dc'ing two-three times a week. Also moisturize daily with a good moisturizer.

I suggest a hot oil treatment(olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil and avocado oil), I make mine myself. I now have fallen in love with Tressmee moisture conditioner, it's wonderful and cheap!

I recently got my hair highlighted at the aveda salon they used aveda conditioner...sorry I forget the name. Good old Cholesterol conditioner or nexus humetress (sp), might do the trick for your dry hair.

I have color too, and one thing I've learned about color treated hair is that it needs moisture, moisture, MOISTURE!!!!

Join the deep conditioning challenge and start dc'ing two-three times a week. Also moisturize daily with a good moisturizer.

i need to look up that thread. what exactly is moisturizing? and sealing? what are moisturizers? i use leave-in (almost) daily or sometimes a bit or jojoba oil or shea butter. am i moisturizing and sealing and don't know it?

my hair is highlighted and lately its very dry, hay stack dry and its snapping. it's rough to the touch also. what should i do??? any good products you'd recommend? how should i use them? can i reverse this and get my hair back to silky and healthy?

You need to deep condition, deep condition, deep condition.

I would try Pantene Relaxed and Natural Conditioning Mask in the jar. I found mine at Target. Another good one is by Enjoy. This line was created for colored hair and is the bomb! Will find at most mainstream ("white") beauty supply stores. Not available at Sallys.

If you're in NYC, you could also pick up a conditioner called DOMINICAN MAGIC. My friends swear by it, but I haven't used it yet. I want to, but finances won't permit me to order online yet.

Deep conditioning two or three times a week should help get your hair back some semblance of normal.

Last edited:
I have highlighted hair. The key to keep colored hair strong is to use a protein conditioner followed by a moisturizing conditioner. Tonight I used Nexxus Keraphix followed by Cream of Nature's Moisture Active Deep Conditioning Treatment. I also use a hot oil treatment every week. I use Cantu Shea Butter moisturizing lotion every day. I do NOT use any heat on my hair. Protein and moisture are important! Always use the protein first!

ITA with everyone, cosigning the deep conditioning all the way. Make sure it's a moisturizing deep conditioner. Sounds like you're lacking ALOT of moisture.:yep:

steam treatments! as far as what product to use, i'm figurin that out myself, but at the moment, HE long term relationship sealed w/ castor and/or coconut oil is good

my staple is cantu shea butter. is use it on dry hair and damp hair....every day (only when bunning though).

Coarse hair, and especially color treated hair requires extreme moisture.....without it, your hair will constantly break because it will lack elasticity.

check out my regime in fotki page for tips on how to use. but my method "damp bunning" with the cantu shea butter has allowed me to retain tremendous length.

Back