COLOR Divas, Please Come Out, I have a ?

kitchen_tician

Hey ladies, :wave:
It’s time to spruce up my color. For those that remember, I highlighted/colored portions of my hair with Clairol’s Texture-n-Tones in Bronze last August.

Well, my color is starting to fade/darken and I want to try to jazz it up with Sebastian’s Colourshines. Thanks to "ATLIEN", I was able to locate Sebastian Colourshines in my area. The problem is that I don’t know which one will work best with TNT. I’m just going for a “spruce-up” effect, nothing too major. Then again, I may be doing the wrong thing and may just need to recolor with TNT in a few weeks. :ohwell:

The TNT Bronze has a Blue violet base, so I need to find out which colourshines, best compliments this color. Thanks Ladies, any input is greatly appreciated. ;)

My choices of Sebastian Colourshines
1. Honey Wheat
2. Ginger
3. Glorious Gold

Link to all colors: Colourshines

No recommendations, but I do have a dumb question for ya. How do you know what color the base is and which base colors to avoid mixing? :ohwell:

Hey Kitty,
Some people are very knowledgeable about that stuff, like TRACY!!! :) If you mix the wrong combination, then your hair can come out a funky color, like green or something. I don't remember what not to mix though.

Sometimes the box will state what the color base is, but I just called Clairol's color experts to confirm the base color. She gave me some info on mixing colors, but I wanted to check with the "LHCF Color Divas" to make sure. Oh yeah, did you get my pm?

Last edited:
kitchen_tician said:
Hey Kitty,
Some people are very knowledgeable about that stuff, like TRACY!!! :) If you mix the wrong combination, then your hair can come out a funky color, like green or something. I don't remember what not to mix though.

Sometimes the box will state what the color base is, but I just called Clairol's color experts to confirm the base color. She gave me some info on mixing colors, but I wanted to check with the "LHCF Color Divas" to make sure. Oh yeah, did you get my pm?

I did, thanks :) I'm sorry that I didn't write you back to let you know. I got tied up with something and I forgot. Thanks for the heads up though. :D

Ginger is pretty but it's going to take you pretty red. So will Glorious GOld (as Lindy will testify to, I'm sure. :) ). Your best bet is Honey Wheat. It's a pale blond with a neutral base....

It will shine the color nicely and shouldn't change it too much. If it were ME, I'd go with ginger tho.... :sekret: I would want a change by now. Ginger will give a nice copper color.

Good Luck! And welcome back! :)

Ok, I am no color wiz like Tracy, but I think you should go with Ginger or Golden Walnut, which you don't have mentioned here. I looked on the Sebastians website and here is the description for Golden Walnut:
A stunning light to medium saturated brown with gold-copper tones adds warmth and depth to dark blondes or adds golden tones to light ash-brown hair. Golden Walnut also deepens light to medium redheads.
I say try either of those

kitty18 said:
No recommendations, but I do have a dumb question for ya. How do you know what color the base is and which base colors to avoid mixing? :ohwell:

Kitty the base is difficult to tell unless they give you a hint in the name or they expressly tell you on the box or bottle. Sebsatian's does. So does Adore. So, in fact, do MOST rinses.....permie colors and demi colors are harder to tell.

Anything with 'Ash' in the name is usually a cool base - violet, blue or green. To know EXACTLY which one, they have to tell you or you have the know the color brand well. The trained eye can also SEE the base in the color when they pout it out of the bottle.

Anything with 'Golden' in the name usually has a warm base - red or gold.

If it's says 'neutral' the base is neutral - which means there's no definitive undertone to the color, and it shouldn't cause trouble mixing wise etc.....

KAddy said:
Ok, I am no color wiz like Tracy, but I think you should go with Ginger or Golden Walnut, which you don't have mentioned here. I looked on the Sebastians website and here is the description for Golden Walnut:

I say try either of those

No need to be a color whiz Kaddy - that's actually a great color. It's a nice light brown (although I find it DOES have little green in the base even though they don't say so)....it will DEEPEN the color considerably though, down to a pale chestnut color.....with maybe a hint of gold in there.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Kaddy: I was thinking the same thing as Tracy about the Golden Walnut. I think it would make it darker and I want to brighten it if that's possible. The ginger does sound good too.

Tracy: I was also leaning towards the Honey Wheat or the Ginger. :) I also thought about mixing them, but that's too much money right now. It's good to know that the Honey Wheat is neutral.

Last edited:
Thanks again! I'll definitely post pics, but I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference via pictures. We'll see. :ohwell:
Well, I'm off to work and then to the "magic store", I mean BSS. Let's see what "tricks" I'll have in my bag today. :grin:

kitchen_tician said:
Tracy: I was also leaning towards the Honey Wheat or the Ginger. :) I also thought about mixing them, but that's too much money right now. It's good to know that the Honey Wheat is neutral.

I would say to try the Ginger. I have the Honey Wheat... it's nice, but it's very pale... it may not even show up on your hair if your hair is dark. It works well for me because it colors my grays a deep yellowish blond so that they blend in nicely with my hair, making the grays look like highlights. The Ginger would probably be more noticeable on dark hair, (if that's what you're aiming for). :)

Tracy said:
Kitty the base is difficult to tell unless they give you a hint in the name or they expressly tell you on the box or bottle. Sebsatian's does. So does Adore. So, in fact, do MOST rinses.....permie colors and demi colors are harder to tell.

Anything with 'Ash' in the name is usually a cool base - violet, blue or green. To know EXACTLY which one, they have to tell you or you have the know the color brand well. The trained eye can also SEE the base in the color when they pout it out of the bottle.

Anything with 'Golden' in the name usually has a warm base - red or gold.

If it's says 'neutral' the base is neutral - which means there's no definitive undertone to the color, and it shouldn't cause trouble mixing wise etc.....

thanks Tracy!

Thanks Lindy and Dana! I don't know which one to get. Honey Wheat or Ginger? I'm only expecting results on the previous colored portions, not on the uncolored portions. I guess I'll just toss a coin and decide. :grin:

Okay, I bought the Ginger and it's very pretty. It looks like a reddish gold.

Oh yeah, they had a Sebastians book with actual hair swatches so you could see the effect of the color, depending on your natural hair color.

Ex: if your hair is blonde, it will look like this. If your hair is black it will look like this. That was very helpful also!

Okay, I'll keep you posted on the results! Thanks again for all of your help!

PICTURES, MISSY! :whip:

kitchen_tician said:
Okay, I bought the Ginger and it's very pretty. It looks like a reddish gold.

Oh yeah, they had a Sebastians book with actual hair swatches so you could see the effect of the color, depending on your natural hair color.

Ex: if your hair is blonde, it will look like this. If your hair is black it will look like this. That was very helpful also!

Okay, I'll keep you posted on the results! Thanks again for all of your help!

ms_kenesha said:
PICTURES, MISSY! :whip:

I know right!

And to Tracy, I hope all is well. I was wondering where you were for a while but noticed you posting recently. So I guess I'm saying HELLO. :):wave:

Back