Coffee for Hair Growth!

Sooooo, has anyone noticed any increased hair growth from using caffeine on their hair and scalp as yet? If so, how do you know it's the caffeine? I really want to try this and I just told my BF about it. His hair is thinning just a little on the top. I was surprised that he's willing to try it.

So you ladies think that infusing it in oil is a good idea?

Br*nzeB*mbSh~ll, how do you infuse your coffee in oil and do you put the grains in your scalp too or do you strain it first? Oh and how long do you allow it to steep for?

As I get older, I noticed that I have less hair than when I was in my 20's and I want to try this to see if I'll get all my lost strands back:yep:. Just a thought.

Sooooo, has anyone noticed any increased hair growth from using caffeine on their hair and scalp as yet? If so, how do you know it's the caffeine? I really want to try this and I just told my BF about it. His hair is thinning just a little on the top. I was surprised that he's willing to try it.

Br*nzeB*mbSh~ll, how do you infuse your coffee in oil and do you put the grains in your scalp too or do you strain it first? Oh and how long do you allow it to steep for?

As I get older, I noticed that I have less hair than when I was in my 20's and I want to try this to see if I'll get all my lost strands back:yep:. Just a thought.
~~Aggie, i added coffee grounds to a combo of olive, jojoba, safflower and coconut oils, i put it in glass jar and put the jar in a crockpot filled with water. i let it simmer for about 6 hours on low. I then strained the mixture and put the oil in a pointy-nosed container. This is great when my hair is straightened, and i don't want reversion.

I made a coffee rinse with ayurvedic powders and i use this as a deep rinse after conditioning w- cap for an hour or longer....works awesome! I have plain xxxtra strong coffee i use as a leave in "spritz" when i'm wearing a wash-n-go bun....

Either version works unbelievably well. I just cut almost 4 inches of hair and i'm confident i'll regrow it really really quickly using these techniques and my cocktail~~

~~~***Merry Christmas, Ladies & God Bless***~~~

I did my prepoo with coffee grounds and olive oil and didn't realise how hard it would be to get those grpunds out of my hair. It was such a nightmare.

Is using Lipton's not good?? I got the citrus kind but on the bottle it even talks about caffeine! I think Im just gonna warm it up and use it as a pre poo.

i have only been using this for about a month now, but..... my growth spurts are pretty predictable - they last a few weeks and then my hair stops for several weeks and then grows again. since i have been using the coffee(now i think i need a break to give my scalp a break since it tends to get sore when it grows aaaaaaaand i reeeeaaallly need a touch up) my growth spurt has not stopped. it's growing like wild fire, and i can actually see quite a bit of new growth in the front which normally grows much slower. the only thing i changed in the past month, around the time when my spurt should have been coming to end and is the adding the coffee. so, even though i think it's soon to declare that it works, i have a strong feeling that it does. i'll be able to give a more definate answer after i touch up since most of my growth is in the back and i cant see it. also, my winter growth is usually not much - i have now, what i normally would have in the spring and my hair is still growing.

I did my prepoo with coffee grounds and olive oil and didn't realise how hard it would be to get those grpunds out of my hair. It was such a nightmare.

you definately want to strain the coffee grounds out - i find that it is more of a problem with the oil than it is when i steep the grounds in water because in water if left long enough - i usually steep for about a day - the grounds go to the bottom and i just pour the liquid off the top through a collander, with the oil though, this dose not happen so i think the need for a coffee filter is greater.

~~Aggie, i added coffee grounds to a combo of olive, jojoba, safflower and coconut oils, i put it in glass jar and put the jar in a crockpot filled with water. i let it simmer for about 6 hours on low. I then strained the mixture and put the oil in a pointy-nosed container. This is great when my hair is straightened, and i don't want reversion.

I made a coffee rinse with ayurvedic powders and i use this as a deep rinse after conditioning w- cap for an hour or longer....works awesome! I have plain xxxtra strong coffee i use as a leave in "spritz" when i'm wearing a wash-n-go bun....

Either version works unbelievably well. I just cut almost 4 inches of hair and i'm confident i'll regrow it really really quickly using these techniques and my cocktail~~

~~~***Merry Christmas, Ladies & God Bless***~~~

Wow, you use coffee with ayurveda? Now this I can do. I love love love ayurveda powders and I have a whole big stash of them so I guess this is the route I'll be taking using the coffee.

Now how do you make the rinse? Do you steep the coffee and powders together at the same time in water or do you make the coffee separately, then add the powders to it?

i have only been using this for about a month now, but..... my growth spurts are pretty predictable - they last a few weeks and then my hair stops for several weeks and then grows again. since i have been using the coffee(now i think i need a break to give my scalp a break since it tends to get sore when it grows aaaaaaaand i reeeeaaallly need a touch up) my growth spurt has not stopped. it's growing like wild fire, and i can actually see quite a bit of new growth in the front which normally grows much slower. the only thing i changed in the past month, around the time when my spurt should have been coming to end and is the adding the coffee. so, even though i think it's soon to declare that it works, i have a strong feeling that it does. i'll be able to give a more definate answer after i touch up since most of my growth is in the back and i cant see it. also, my winter growth is usually not much - i have now, what i normally would have in the spring and my hair is still growing.

you definately want to strain the coffee grounds out - i find that it is more of a problem with the oil than it is when i steep the grounds in water because in water if left long enough - i usually steep for about a day - the grounds go to the bottom and i just pour the liquid off the top through a collander, with the oil though, this dose not happen so i think the need for a coffee filter is greater.

Thanks so much for your response CR. This was very helpful. I am wearing braids and what I did today was take some of my coffee that brewed this morning for consumption, added some peppermint castile soap to it, shook it up and poured over my scalp and hair in the shower, scritched my scalp for about 4 minutes, rinsed it out and deep conditoned as usual. Do you think this will work for me this way while in braids? I did not get the tingle everyone's talking about though:nono::sad:? I wonder why:perplexed!

Thanks so much for your response CR. This was very helpful. I am wearing braids and what I did today was take some of my coffee that brewed this morning for consumption, added some peppermint castile soap to it, shook it up and poured over my scalp and hair in the shower, scritched my scalp for about 4 minutes, rinsed it out and deep conditoned as usual. Do you think this will work for me this way while in braids? I did not get the tingle everyone's talking about though:nono::sad:? I wonder why:perplexed!

Aggie,
i think four minutes is not long enough to allow it to seep down into the root follicle. i think according to the research you need atlease 30 minutes - maybe more or less - i cant remember the exact, but what i do is leave it on for atlease an hour if it is a strong treatment like the oil(never again will i leave it all night) and my coffee steeped in water i use as a leave in, i scritch in on my scalp and i also use it as a detangler for my hair because it actually does a wonderful job of detangling and conditioning hair as well. i do this about 2 - 3x per week.

Aggie,
i think four minutes is not long enough to allow it to seep down into the root follicle. i think according to the research you need atlease 30 minutes - maybe more or less - i cant remember the exact, but what i do is leave it on for atlease an hour if it is a strong treatment like the oil(never again will i leave it all night) and my coffee steeped in water i use as a leave in, i scritch in on my scalp and i also use it as a detangler for my hair because it actually does a wonderful job of detangling and conditioning hair as well. i do this about 2 - 3x per week.

Thanks again CR.

One more question - has anyone used instant coffee for this treatment and did it work? What were the results like, if so? Sorry, I have so many questions about this because I really want to try this with my and ayurveda powders as well, TIA.

I havent gotten that tingle either and I leave mines on for over an hour.

Why would it have to be coffee? It says Caffeine, not coffee. So you could just use a tea with caffeine rinse on hair, couldn't you?

I'm so about to do this today! I have lots of tea at my house :) So, I have a jar of it brewing right now, but I have 2 questions.

1- Honey has humectant properties and adds shine to the hair- should i add honey to my brew?
2- Would adding MSM increase the growing effects even more?

I tried the rinse with Maxwell House instant coffee and I got the same tingle I get with my pure caffeine spray. I also enjoyed the smell. :yep::up:

ETA: I didn't rinse it out, I slept in it overnight then I co-washed it out this morning.

Wow, you use coffee with ayurveda? Now this I can do. I love love love ayurveda powders and I have a whole big stash of them so I guess this is the route I'll be taking using the coffee.

Now how do you make the rinse? Do you steep the coffee and powders together at the same time in water Yes. this is exactly what i do. i really like that i'm doing the two for one...or do you make the coffee separately, then add the powders to it?

Aggie,
i agree with Cherokia-Rose on this Aggie, you need to leave it in for at least 30 minutes, sometimes i have my rinse on for 3 hours....

Another added benefit, my hair is tangle-free. It just rinses really puffy and loose...i luv luv luv that!!! I've been detangling so quickly it's ridiculous...on transitioning hair, no less~

wait, I gotta find a way to do this though cause coffee/tea will end up staining my bathtub over time

pour it over my head in the stainless steel sink then after letting it sit for a few, make sure is very squeezed out ........I dont know, I cant rinse my whole head in the sink, but for this I shall try :grin:[/quote

ALL THAT HAIR I KNOW YOU ARE ALREADY DRAG ON THE FLOOR LENGTH:lachen:

I'm so about to do this today! I have lots of tea at my house :) So, I have a jar of it brewing right now, but I have 2 questions.

1- Honey has humectant properties and adds shine to the hair- should i add honey to my brew?
2- Would adding MSM increase the growing effects even more?

Anyone? :look:

Someone might have already said this-- I didn't have time to read the entire thread/replies but I think they have a straight caffeine pill at the vitamin stores.... It's in capsule form. A girl I work with takes those and an aspirin every day for energy... If it's the caffeine that you're after maybe it could be dissolved in water or something first?? Just a thought....

OK, don't know if I'm imagining things.

So since I found out that caffeine is soluble in oil, I figured that adding caffeine pills to some kind of scalp oil would be the simplest and least messy option.

I haven't really been implementing this, but this week, before my wash, I added a ground caffeine pill and a few drops of a water + ground caffeine pill solution to some coconut oil, and then rubbed it thoroughly into my scalp. Then I did my warm coconut oil pre-poo on my hair as usual, covered with a shower cap and let it sit for a few hours before washing my hair.

This week I have had amazingly little shedding. Usually when I finger comb during the week shed hairs come out by the dozen, this week I'm seeing only a few per day. The result is that my hair is tangling a lot less (WHICH WAS ONE OF MY MAJOR OBJECTIVES).

I don't really care if I don't get a mega boost to growth rate from this. If it *really* slows down my shedding, then:
1) I will have a longer growth phase, so my hair will get longer in the long run anyway because each strand will stay on my head for a longer time, and
2) I will have less tangling caused by shed hairs, which means less combing is possible and also less breakage when combing.

I'm just crossing my fingers that this is real. My mind may be playing tricks on me

For me, the easiest thing is the oil + ground caffeine pill / caffeine solution. I think it would work really well to add some ground up caffeine pills / pill solution to the scalp oil you use daily / regularly. Or if you're not a scalp oil person, then rub the mixture into your scalp, let it sit for some hours then wash your hair, like I did.
Oil might even be better because it probably sticks to your scalp for longer than water, thus prolonging the effects.
(Just speculation here).

Just a word of warning.

Be careful how you use caffeine if you have high blood pressure or are borderline and shouldn't be drinking tea and coffee for example anyway.

I did my oil massage on Sat evening and washed it out about 3 hours later. I also did a cowash Monday night.

On Tuesday around midday, I happened to get my blood pressure checked to renew my 24 hour access at my workplace gym. The instructor noted that my pressure was a bit higher than normal and not as low as ideal. I couldn't figure it out. So he was asking, "Have you been drinking coffee or tea today, that could explain it.." And I was sitting there trying to figure it out (duh!) not even thinking *at all* about the caffeine thing I did on Saturday. :rolleyes: It was just last night that it hit me.

But anyway, just to say you should use it sparingly if you have such issues. The instructor didn't think my pressure was anything to worry about, and the fact that he thought it could be attributable to just drinking coffee or tea shows that the jump wasn't too big or too dangerous. But it was funny to think that caffeine was still in my bloodstream three days and two washes later.

thought this may be helpful

Does tea have more or less caffeine than coffee?

Tea has a wide range of caffeine depending upon the type of tea, plant varietal, and brewing style. Generally, green teas contain 5-20 milligrams, Oolong teas contain 35-45 milligrams, and Black teas have 45-60 milligrams of caffeine in an 8 oz. cup. By comparison, a typical cup of coffee has roughly 125-185 milligrams of caffeine.

Back