Coconut Oil?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I have asked what are the benefits of coconut oil since I'm reading that so many people use it. However, I got no response/reply. What are the benefits of coconut oil? How is it used and what does it actually do for your hair?

I am not sure what all the benefits of coconut oil are supposed to be, but for me it moisturizes my hair, gives it a nice shine, and so far it is my favorite oil that I have come across. I use it primarily on my ends, and to be honest, it leaves my hair feeling very nice.

I bought it due to raves on another board regarding the fact that it allegedly "straightens" new growth to some extent when used w/ heat, like when rollersetting. I got it in the summer and never used it. I recently whipped it out because the weather is so cold here in NYC and I thought it would be nice an heavy. Actually, its very light and it leaves my hair feeling so silky and soft and well-moiturized when I put it on my wet hair. I used it on Saturday for an air dry and each day since then, Ive been misting my ends with distilled water and re-applying it to my ends after that. I love this...its my new staple. It also makes my skin soft, smooth and even-toned.

Thanks ladies. Lunalight, I didn't know you can use it on your skin also...

There are no true benefits from coconut oil. I just find it to be a light and moisturizing oil. It's cheap and effective. It is not going to grow hair and I don't know how well it controls new growth compared to other oils but I like it.

Is this good for sealing in moisture after washing hair? What are good brands? Someone mentioned Parachute as being a good brand...anymore suggestions?

Coconut oil leaves my hair soft, silky, moisturized and with INCREDIBLE shine.
It also helps to loosen the curl. I'm natural and I actually use coconut oil for my roller sets then use a hooded dryer. It makes my 3c(crown), 4a(remainder)hair look like I just had a press. My hair comes out silky and smooth (kink free) with great body.

Thanks ladies for the responses...but I got one more question..Is it true that it can solidify once its in your hair?

I have never used coconut oil, but I was once told that it's drying, I never understood that, but that's what I was told.

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
Some people said in very cold weather outside it can get hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know Soulchild, but it was 16 degrees yesterday morning and it didn't solidify in my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Caramela said:
I have never used coconut oil, but I was once told that it's drying, I never understood that, but that's what I was told.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens with the refined stuff.

So if it's refined then it's drying? I thought with natural oils you are supposed to get the pure unrefined oil.

I use Palmer's 100% pure coconut oil and it does solidify when I go outside in the cold, but once inside, it softens again. I love coconut oil. It really is a great moisturizer and it's quite light. This is the only oil I put in my hair now after I wash my hair. It is really good.

Natori and Lunalight, unrefined IS the one that's non-drying. The refined kind is usually what dries people's hair out.

joyous and luna, I'm glad it doesn't solidify on you guys.

I saw some coconut oil at an Indian grocery store for very cheap. It's probably not as good as the virgin unrefined kind, but the price is right
smirk.gif

Back