Coconut Oil?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
[ QUOTE ]
joyous said:
Coconut oil leaves my hair soft, silky, moisturized and with INCREDIBLE shine.
It also helps to loosen the curl. I'm natural and I actually use coconut oil for my roller sets then use a hooded dryer. It makes my 3c(crown), 4a(remainder)hair look like I just had a press. My hair comes out silky and smooth (kink free) with great body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please tell me what brand of coconut oil you are using? I would like to see if I get the same results.

Natori, you can pick up some coconut oil from your local healthfood store. The kind that is best for the hair is unrefined coconut oil. The refined may make your hair dry. I like Garden of Life. I'm sure there are others that work just as well though.
658010111416.jpg

Thanks for recommendation. I actually called a health food store in my area but they only said that they had the coconut oil that comes in capsules [I thought was kind of strange]and they were out of that. I may have to order it online which I really don't want to do.

coconut oil comes in a solid form, but it melts at room temperature, well warmer room temp. like maybe 75 to 80 degrees. If you home is relatively cool, you could always stick it in the microwave for 15 secs.

That's what I was trying to figure out too...if the Parachute was unrefined or not. I emailed the company to ask but they never responded.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Thanks for recommendation. I actually called a health food store in my area but they only said that they had the coconut oil that comes in capsules [I thought was kind of strange]........

[/ QUOTE ]

Coconut oil has many uses. It speeds up metabolism, helps the body burns more calories and enables weight loss. Some people use it for cooking.

I would only use it for my hair since I don't need a faster metabolism or help with losing weight [I'm small and petite].

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/image]]http://www.vitacost.com/Store/images/images100/658010111416.jpg[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Garden of Life Extrae Virgin Coconut Oil

After reading this thread and some others about coconut oil....I was able to find the above pictured ococonut oil. For those who use coconut oil.... do you use it alone and find that it is a sufficient moisturizer or do you use it to seal in the moisture from another moisturizer (water or a leave in conditioner)?
How often do you use the coconut oil?

Thanks all the wonderful info ladies I have been looking for a moisturing oil that would seal in my natural moisture also thanks a mill

I use coconut oil on my hair after I wash it. I usually use this with a little Garnier Fructis Hair Milk or a leave-in. The hair milk is mostly for the wavy/curly parts of my hair.

Bumping for more responses to.....

For those who use coconut oil.... do you use it alone and find that it is a sufficient moisturizer or do you use it to seal in the moisture from another moisturizer (water or a leave in conditioner)?

Coconut Oil is the only moisturizer that I use in my hair...and I love it.
smile.gif
I use it twice a day. Once in the morning after I mist my hair with distilled water....and after my conditioner wash in the evening.

I just used it yesterday as a daily moisturizer for the first time. After my hair dried, it was quite soft...only a little is needed - I was a bit heavy handed so it was a bit greasy but when I awoke this morning, it was still soft.
I usually use it as a deep conditioner w/heat.

Usually I mix it with Castor oil and honey as a pre-poo treatment. Sometimes I use it over a light spray leave-in. It's good stuff.
smile.gif

I'll say again, see if you can find an African/Indian/Pakistani grocery. Most of them sell the unrefined stuff very inexpensively. I get a jar for only 3.49.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
I'll say again, see if you can find an African/Indian/Pakistani grocery. Most of them sell the unrefined stuff very inexpensively. I get a jar for only 3.49.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad there's no African/Indian/Pakistani stores in my area. There isn't any good health food stores either...so I won't be trying this out now even though I really wanted to. They charge too much online
mad.gif
!

Natori, where do you live? Maybe someone on the board can get it and send you some. How much do they charge online?

[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:
Bumping for more responses to.....

For those who use coconut oil.... do you use it alone and find that it is a sufficient moisturizer or do you use it to seal in the moisture from another moisturizer (water or a leave in conditioner)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a refined coconut oil, which I was applying to all of my hair and then adding a bit more to the ends. They still felt dry so I thought maybe it was due to air drying or something. I changed up my routine, adding more oils to the coconut oil and now they are super soft!!! I still have half a jar left, so I'm using it and buying unrefined next. Now I make an emulsion of mango butter, nexxus botanic oil (just a few drops) and coconut oil. I apply it to my hair 2-3 times per day, since my ends are exposed I also add a bit of nexxus humectress to the last few inches of hair.
shocked.gif
what a difference!!!

I love coconut oil. I buy the Spectrum brand from Whole Foods. I like coconut oil because it gives a great sheen but it is not too heavy.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
Natori, where do you live? Maybe someone on the board can get it and send you some. How much do they charge online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in MS. As I stated earlier in this thread, the local health food stores only carried the Coconut Oil in the capsule form which was strange and they were out of that. I priced some virgin coconut oil for $18 a pint, $25 a quart but that's NOT including shipping charges. I think because its the pure virgin kind it's going to cost a little more than the regular kind that is refined.

Re:

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
$18? Ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know; that's not including shipping charges either.

Re:

Thanks for the link. I'm assuming its the unrefined kind right? Does anyone know more about the Spectrum brand? I found some of that online too...I guess they are slowly bringing the prices down from the last time I checked..however, that one company kept their price "way up".

Okay, to be on the safe side..I went to what seems to be the only "health" food store besides the two in located at the mall in my area...to see if they ACTUALLY had Coconut Oil. Low and behold they had the Coconut Oil in the capsules...AND they had a jar of REFINED coconut oil....I was looking for the UNREFINED of course. It looked funny in the jar..it was liquidy and and "white spots" inside of it too...if it was UNREFINED I don't think I would have gotten it because of how "strange" it looked.

Back