Coconut Milk Did Nothing For My Hair!

Wolftrap

After you guys raved so much about coconut milk making your hair so soft I decided to try it. I put it in my hair while it was damp and I sat for about a 1/2 hour with a plastic cap. I then washed my hair and conditioned it. It came out exactly the same as usual. Did I do something wrong? I oh so much wanted this to work.

I know there several are variations of this. One is to add the juice of 1 lime to a can of coconut milk and some olive oil and let it sit on your head for as long as you can. Maybe some of the other ladies have other variations of this.

Personally, my hair HATES coconut milk. I've tried several times to use it and each time I've ended up with nothing but matted, very tangled hair. But my hair is funny like that..
look.gif

I've noticed my results are different since my hair is straighter (relaxed straighter). It worked really well when my hair was lightly texturized. But now it feels almost dry when I first rinse, it's soft the next day, but not as soft as some of my other products. I think for relaxed hair it needs to be mixed w/conditioner. I still like using it as a leave in
smile.gif

I add honey and evoo to my coconut milk and use this as my pre treatment. I add coconut milk to my conditioners along with honey and evoo when I want to spike my deep conditioners. Try mixing it with something and see if it works better. Sometimes I have to try something more than once to see results.

Wolftrap,
It tangled my hair to the point that I lost hair after I rinsed it. Even after I noticed it was tangled, I did an extra deep conditioning which did nothing. It took me 30 min. to detangle and nothing would penetrate. I just waited a day and rewashed and did a protein condition and everything was back to normal.

But it seems like I may be an oddball
laugh.gif

Most of the ladies here seem to have had good results with it. Try different mixes. There is a thread on Lime and Coconut milk in the hair recipe board. Sorry I can't link it for you, I'm not that advanced yet...
look.gif

I'd apply it to dry hair first but with lime. In addition, I think you need to let the lime and milk sit in the fridge overnight. Adding it too your favorite conditioner with honey makes it easiser to apply and boosts the moisturizing results you'll recieve. Since my hair isn't straight I always notice the difference in my texture when I use this method.

I mix coconut oil with coconut milk. I put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for about 5 minutes. I rinse it really well and then I do a condition wash. I do the pre-treatment once a week and then I do daily condition wahes for the rest of the week. I have only been washing with poo as needed (maybe once a week).

My hair has been softer than it has ever been.
Actually, I am kind of mad right now cuz I decided that I haven't clarified in a while so I did yesterday.
Now I can see the real difference, my new growth is hard as a rock. I did a flexi rod set and my curls and my roots are so poofed out that my hair looks like a helmet. So I am sitting here right now with some coconut milk and oil on my head. I will rinse with some conditioner and air dry it in Bantu knots.

For me the coconut oil/milk doesn't make my new growth straight...but it softens it a lot...to the point where I can get a comb through it and I can style it and look presentable even at the start of week 9 post touch up. I think that not using poo in between helps to make it last until I do it again.

I tried it too...I mixed it with conditioner, honey, hot six oil and then added the coconut milk and my hair felt drier than before. I'm going to give it another try before I scrap it. I wonder what I did wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Natasha2005 said:
Coconut milk left my hair a little dry and tangled as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of hair do you have cuz I'm guessing our hair textures are similar based on the same reactions to certain things.

I tried the coconut milk and lime and came out with a tangled mess as well. My hair appeared to be stripped and I followed it with a moisturizing conditioner. I will never use that combination again.

I used coconut milk with honey and olive oil (on top of the Aloe Vera conditioner). Did pretty good for me
smile.gif

I have read both good and bad about this. Never anything that lead me to believe that it was a proven method.

@GMMP: I was skeptical about using it w/lime b/c I was concerned about the pH. I would think the lime was too acidic
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
I tried the coconut milk and lime and came out with a tangled mess as well. My hair appeared to be stripped and I followed it with a moisturizing conditioner. I will never use that combination again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me
frown.gif

I have tried the coconut milk with every conbination and find that it leaves my already dry hair even drier. I have added it to suave milk & honey conditioner, coconut oil, evoo you name it I've tried it but after the last try I have given up on it.

I love using coconut milk. I add it to conditioners (regular or deep) and aldo add evoo and honey and heat it up for 20 secs. It always leaves my hair softer than ususal and more moisturised.

Ok, I gave it another chance yesterday and I'm glad I did. BUTTTT...I had to use it as a preshampoo or preconditioner treatment. I have decided to do the no poo thing for a month to get my hair softer so I did this coconut mix as a preconditioner treatment then I applied Garnier Fructis 3min mask for about 1 or so (I forgot it in) and my hair is so soft. The next morning (today) I applied St.Ives Frizz serum, Extreme anti-snap and recovery and some wgo and my hair is very soft. It was very soft after I washed it last night too. I think I may have to forget using it as a post shampoo treatment and use it this way.
So, for those of use that it didn't work for maybe rotate it in your regimen.

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
After you guys raved so much about coconut milk making your hair so soft I decided to try it. I put it in my hair while it was damp and I sat for about a 1/2 hour with a plastic cap. I then washed my hair and conditioned it. It came out exactly the same as usual. Did I do something wrong? I oh so much wanted this to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
What was the coconut milk suppose to do to your hair, since your hair came out exactly the same as usual?

[ QUOTE ]
jupiter said:
Thanks I guess I should check out your LHCF acronym list huh? lol

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif
It's on there.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:

[/ QUOTE ]
What was the coconut milk suppose to do to your hair, since your hair came out exactly the same as usual?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to all the raves about it, I thought my hair would be soft, silky and shiny. Like it was something extra that it did to your hair. But my hair came out the same way as always. There was no additional sheen or softness to it. Its like I never used the coconut milk at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to all the raves about it, I thought my hair would be soft, silky and shiny. Like it was something extra that it did to your hair. But my hair came out the same way as always. There was no additional sheen or softness to it. Its like I never used the coconut milk at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet your hair is already soft, silky and shiny (which is why the coconut milk didn't do anything extra to your hair). I had always wondered about coconut milk too, but I just never tried it.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet your hair is already soft, silky and shiny (which is why the coconut milk didn't do anything extra to your hair). I had always wondered about coconut milk too, but I just never tried it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right it is already silky and shiny I just thought this may be something additional that may do something. But I need to stick with what already works. When you try too many things sometimes it makes a good thing go bad.

Back