Coconut milk + conditioner = soft, healthy hair

Divine Inspiration

Hey ladies,

I've been using coconut milk in my DCs the past month or so, and my hair has changed for the better. It's much softer and smoother, and it seems healthier in general. I've noticed less breakage, and my ends are in great shape.

I know some ladies add coconut milk into their henna mixes, but it also works well mixed into conditioners.

Just wanted to share my experience and hear others. :)

{DI}

I’m almost ashamed to say this but I tried to use this as a leave-in:lol: . Not good. I am going to try this when I DC b/c I always have some in the house to cook my rice and peas.

Divine Inspiration said:
Hey ladies,

I've been using coconut milk in my DCs the past month or so, and my hair has changed for the better. It's much softer and smoother, and it seems healthier in general. I've noticed less breakage, and my ends are in great shape.

I know some ladies add coconut milk into their henna mixes, but it also works well mixed into conditioners.

Just wanted to share my experience and hear others. :)

{DI}

Sar-I said:
I’m almost ashamed to say this but I tried to use this as a leave-in:lol: . Not good. I am going to try this when I DC b/c I always have some in the house to cook my rice and peas.

:lol: Yeah, it doesn't seem like it'd work as well as a leave-in. :look:

This is good to know, I just picked up some coconut milk to mix with my deep conditioners. How often are you using the mixture and how much do you mix?

Where'd you purchase your coconut milk from? How exactly are you using it with your conditioner? Are you pouring it into the conditioner bottle?

WhipEffectz1 said:
Can you purchase coconut milk at Walmart????

I don't know because I don't shop at Wal-Mart; I would imagine that the Supercenter would carry it though. I get it from the 99 cent store or the Dollar Tree. I've also seen it in Whole Foods Market.

B_Phlyy said:
How often are you using the mixture and how much do you mix?

Just a little. The majority of the mix is conditioner...then I add a little castor oil and a little coconut milk (maybe 1/4 of a can...my hair is past BSL). I've also added Porosity Control to this mix, and all of the ingredients worked well together...my hair was super soft and shiny, and the slip was absolutely wonderful.

e$h said:
Where'd you purchase your coconut milk from? How exactly are you using it with your conditioner? Are you pouring it into the conditioner bottle?

See my other post re: location.

No, I don't pour it into my bottle. I mix my DCs in a coloring bowl (purchased from Sally's, but any bowl will do).

How often do you use it? I heard that coconut milk can spoil, so I don't want to waste it, but I don't want to overuse it either in a rush to save it.

I only use and refrigerate it for a few days. Some of my family members freeze it after opening until the next use.

B_Phlyy said:
How often do you use it? I heard that coconut milk can spoil, so I don't want to waste it, but I don't want to overuse it either in a rush to save it.

amr501 said:
:scratchch.....I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the idea DI :)

You're welcome.

B_Phlyy said:

Well, I get it for about .45/can so I don't feel terrible throwing it away, but most of the time, I'll refrigerate what's left and use it next go 'round. The can says refrigerate after opening...I"m not sure how long it will stay fresh in there. The maximum time I left some in the fridge was about 11 days, and I used it with no problems.

WhipEffectz1 said:
Can you purchase coconut milk at Walmart????

I found it in the asian foods section and mexican foods section. Depending on which Walmart I go to, it's between $0.89 and $1.19.

What a coincidence. I just saw a can of coconut milk in walmart today while looking at the canned red beans.

I was like, this is what the girls talk about on LHCF. So I grabbed a can. I'm going to use it after my aphogee (hard kind) conditioner to see if it will soften it up afterwards.

Wish me blessings !

la flaca said:
Is coconut milk a protein? just to make sure I don't mix it with more protein:ohwell:

Yes inquiring minds would like to know:cool:

BTW- LaFlaca you look gorgeous in your siggy and THAT hair:)

Thank you for sharing! I'm going to have to try this. I'm experiment with using this as a prepoo and this will also be included in my henna mix!

Bumped for La Flaca and Ella who would like to know if this is a protein!
And me too, darned PJ-ness!

Re: protein, the protein the coconut milk is VERY mild...I mix it with a moisturizing conditioner (Nexxus Humectin). I find it moisturizing and enriching...my cuticles are smoother, and my hair is more manageable with the addition of coconut mik.

I've been doing this for several months now and coconut oil is one of the very best things I have done for my hair. At one point I was using it in my CO washes three or four times a week. I use it in my conditioner, sometimes alone and I also add to my bath water from time to time. It makes my skin very soft. It is the very best detangler there is in my opinion and leaves my hair very soft and strong. Thai Kitchen is the best; it is very thick and great for when you want to use it straight because you can scoop it right out the can. However, Publix carried three different kinds, so sometimes I just go there and get the cheaper brand for 89 cents. It is considered a mild protein.

Back