What should I do?

• Roller set.

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • Tiny twists.

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters

sonce

I am so bored of my hair, so I am contemplating a change:

1) Roller set--Pros: have never seen my natural hair stretched by anything other than braid-outs or twist-outs. I'll get to see much more of my length than I ever have before. Heat will be indirect (from hood dryer I'll be sitting under). Cons: I'm terrified of letting someone else touch my hair (I don't know the first thing about roller setting by myself nor do I have time to learn) and I never have before. Possible damage from the heat and someone else touching my hair. Costs $. I don't know how to maintain it.

2) Twists--A nice set of tiny twists. Pros: A nice change from my usual routine (large braids). I can do them myself, so they are free. No risk of damage. I know how to maintain them. Cons: I have to do them myself (no getting pampered and will take hours). I won't see much more of my length than I normally do.

What do you guys think? I'm torn so I'm sending it to a vote. Weigh in and get to pick the hair style I usher the new year in with! :yep:

If you're willing, explain why you chose the option you did. Feel free to suggest other hair styles too! But don't forget to vote!

Last edited:
If you want to see more lenght than I would go with the rollerset. However the twist will last you much longer than a rollerset will. Since you've never done a rollerset, I will go with that one instead of the twists. HTH

I picked rollerset. It will DEF. be a change of pace from wavy/braidout/curly styles. And you can see your progress if that's what you want right now. :yep: My respones to your cons are in red -

Cons: I'm terrified of letting someone else touch my hair (I don't know the first thing about roller setting by myself nor do I have time to learn) and I never have before It can be scary. But it can also be a very very relaxing and pampering experience! Makes you feel all luxurious and stuff.. :yep: . Possible damage from the heat and someone else touching my hair. Heat damage, always a possibility. But if you have been taking care of your hair all along and your hair is in good shape, I wouldn't think rollersetting would cause damage. And like you said, it's indirect heat. And make sure you ask the person a million questions before hand, watch them do someone elses hair so you can note their practices, etc.. that way you can feel more comfy!! Costs $. Now this is true. I'm not sure if you would be going to the Dom. salon or another place. I know the Dom salon runs about $25-$30, which isn't bad unless you're getting it done like every week... I don't know how to maintain it You could do pincurls if you like the curly/bouncy look (I think gymfreak posted a thread w/ a picture tutorial on how to do pincurls), or wrap it if you like the sleek/straight look. You could sleep in rollers too if you are able. That's all I can think of... :p.

I picked rollerset. It will DEF. be a change of pace from wavy/braidout/curly styles. And you can see your progress if that's what you want right now. :yep: My respones to your cons are in red -
Ooh thanks for the detailed response! My desire to see my hair at somewhere remotely near its full length is a big incentive to do the roller set. I'm just so scared of letting someone else touch my hair though. Never in my life has anything good come of letting someone else do my hair.

I voted for tiny twists.

Your hair is gorgeous, and it is obvious that you have worked very hard to get it to the point that it is at now. I would hate for a stylist to jack up your hair by doing damage (either heat damage or damage by roughly combing/brushing your hair). Many ladies on this board have successfully obtained gorgeous rollersets, naturals included. If you don't have time to learn now, maybe you can get tiny twists now and see your full length with a rollerset once you learn to achieve the style on your own.

IMHO, I wouldn't do it. I am also eager to show my length with a rollerset, and contemplated going to a stylist for a second...a very, very brief second. My experiences with stylists have never, for the most part, EVER been good. Now that my hair is in a healthy state, I just don't want to risk ruining that to obtain a style that I could have learned (at some point) to perfect on my own.

Tiny twists are beautiful and would look great on you! :yep:

Okay I am going to ask a question. Why not both?:yep:

Unless you have a function to go to try one for the new year like twists with rods. That will test you to see if you still have the stamina to sit under a hair dryer. Trust me the longer you have been out from under it especially if you hair is as thick as it is it will be a minute to dry.

Then do the rollerset the next time you do your hair.

Or vice versa, life is short, have fun, get it all in if you can.:grin:

Couldn't vote because my response is not up there for choosing.

I chose rollerset. I think it would be a great change of pace to do something so different than what you usually do. And if you have the money, why not be pampered? :) You can always find out how to take care of a rollerset, just do a search or ask someone!

You won't have to worry about your hair getting burned if you stand up to that stylist and be very firm, direct and upfront in what you want. Your money, your head! Good luck!

Okay I am going to ask a question. Why not both?:yep:

Or vice versa, life is short, have fun, get it all in if you can.:grin:

Couldn't vote because my response is not up there for choosing.
Oh I definitely plan to do both in my lifetime, but what I mean is in this next week, what hair style should I do? This will be the hair style I will usher the new year in with, and this matters b/c I might be going on vacation with a guy I've been seeing.

You won't have to worry about your hair getting burned if you stand up to that stylist and be very firm, direct and upfront in what you want. Your money, your head! Good luck!
Good point. But I hate having to fight with stylists and some of them are so opinionated and stubborn. The last stylist I ever went to joined forces with my mother to try to henpeck me into relaxing. :nono:

I voted for tiny twists.

Your hair is gorgeous, and it is obvious that you have worked very hard to get it to the point that it is at now. I would hate for a stylist to jack up your hair by doing damage (either heat damage or damage by roughly combing/brushing your hair). Many ladies on this board have successfully obtained gorgeous rollersets, naturals included. If you don't have time to learn now, maybe you can get tiny twists now and see your full length with a rollerset once you learn to achieve the style on your own.
Oooh this makes so much sense (and thanks for the compliment!). Potentially get my hair jacked up from being too impatient to wait until I can do my own rollersets v. waiting patiently to learn how to do my own rollersets...

I'm about as scared of heat & stylists as you are, and I still picked rollerset.
I think that the fun of seeing your hair in an entirely different style (and the fact that the ONLY heat would be from a done dryer) makes it worthwhile. I would take my own products, and I would request to be set in front of a mirror - and I would explain to the stylist that you are nervous about your hair - if they can't respect that, and accomodate you, they DEFINITELY shouldn't be in your head.

Good luck, with whatever you chose!

I voted rollerset since you've never done it. just as long as it's done with indirect heat, I see no problems of damage.

Oh I definitely plan to do both in my lifetime, but what I mean is in this next week, what hair style should I do? This will be the hair style I will usher the new year in with, and this matters b/c I might be going on vacation with a guy I've been seeing.

B/c of this line I would say go for the tiny twists. With the twists you won't have to worry about your hair while on vacation and you can be sure that it will be cute the whole time, whereas with the roller set there is the possibility of reversion and dealing with that just won't be fun while you're on vacation.

I don't know about you, but I would be in no mood to have to knock a stylist out after having messed up all my hard work :nono:. You're going away on vacation with your boo :grin:, the last two thing you want to worry about is whether or not she'll be pressing charges on account of you hitting her and hair thats been damaged. Having said that, I choose tiny twists until you're able to do your rollersets yourself.

the last two thing you want to worry about is whether or not she'll be pressing charges on account of you hitting her and hair thats been damaged.
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Very, very true. There's a 99.9% chance that I will go Laila Ali and knock the f-ck out of anyone who messes up my progress. :lachen:

I say tiny twists only because I have not had much luck with rollersetting, to get it the way I want I still need some direct heat and then still it will not last very long. So I say do tiny twists if you have the time. If you get tired of them after a few weeks then take them out and either wear a beautiful twist-out or brush them out and lightly flat-iron so you can see the length better. (note: I've never tried the flat-ironing the twists idea but it sounds like it might be a good idea since the hair will already be detangled and separated:look:) HTH.

I would say do the tiny twists for vacation if you don't want to do them on your whole head, do some flat twists in the front and the tiny twists in the back that way you can have one style and when the flat twists need to be changed up which would be about a week or so you can go ahead after the vacation and complete the front with tiny twists also.

Even with the twists you can put them on rods or curlers and give them a different look.

So you could have three different looks with the tiny twists with just some minor adjustments.

Last edited:
I rollerset... Has your boo seen your hair curled??? I think despite of the stylist issues, which you may not encounter, you will be pleased to see your length... good luck

i'd go with the tiny twists unless you can predict the environment you'll be in.

the teeniest bit of moisture in the air, blowing breezes, hot showers, precipitation will ruin your rollerset pretty quickly.

the twists can withstand any and all (a bit more shrunken but great) and remain looking great and you can always accessorize for a extra bling.

I think you should search the board and find a GOOD stylist for natural hair in your area, and try a rollerset. Only because its the end of the year, your starting a new one, and to have fun with your hair in a different way and get to see your length so you know where you stand this year, then next year at the end of the year maybe you can do the same thing (like a 1x a year thing)

I voted for tiny twists.

IMHO, I wouldn't do it. I am also eager to show my length with a rollerset, and contemplated going to a stylist for a second...a very, very brief second. My experiences with stylists have never, for the most part, EVER been good. Now that my hair is in a healthy state, I just don't want to risk ruining that to obtain a style that I could have learned (at some point) to perfect on my own.

Tiny twists are beautiful and would look great on you! :yep:

Ditto to this entire post. This is exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Your hair looks very healthy. I'm so jealous. Oh, and I will attempt something similar to that black wrap you have in your album. It looks hard but this is something I wanted to try for several years now.

I will have the final verdict with pictures in one week. Thank you all for your help, and if anyone has more suggestions, feel free to post! :love2:

Your hair is so pretty and shiny!!!

At first I thought suggesting a rollerset was a no-brainer. However after reading a post that you are going on vacation, I'm thinking of the twists. I think the rollerset can be sexier and will allow your beau to be able to run his fingers through it, but if that is of no conern, then go with the twists.

If you go with a rollerset, you really need to do your homework on a stylist. I have never had a lingering problem with stylists, primarily for two reasons. I don't chair or salon hop. I've been at the salon I go to since September 2006. Prior to that I was with my previous stylist for 7 years. I left her because the level of service to me and my hair got worse. So I gave the peace sign and changed stylists.

I would suggest finding someone who's hair you like and ask them who did it. There are very few people in my city who do natural hair, so I know I would have a harder time finding someone if I had natural hair.

The twists can get messed up and still look decent, not so with the rollers. Plus there is the issue of wearing rollers or pin curling it every night. So that may cut into the romancing...LOL

Just my .10,

ARR

Back