Check out my Granny's waist length hair.

AFashionSlave

Check out my Granny\'s waist length hair.

My granny gave me this picture. She used to tell me all of the time that she used to be a looker when she was a young woman. In this picture my granny is about thirty-five years old. My mother is about sixteen years old in this picture. My mom is standing to the right of my grandfather.

My grandmother has had the same hair routine since she was a little girl.
She uses shampoo: any cheap store brand
She uses NO CONDITIONER!
She combs through her hair (while using no products)and puts it in big braids while it dries.
After her hair is dry she then uses petroleum based grease Royal Crown or Blue Magic (the blue or the green one)
She presses and curls her hair over a gas stove.

Just in case any of you are wondering her hair type is 4ab.
Her hair does not have any natural curl.

Her hair is still well past her shoulders and she is now in her seventies.

laugh.gif
Makes you wonder why we do all of this stuff to our hair…I guess all of those products really are not necessary.

Sorry if the picture is blurry. It's pretty old.
granny-vi.jpg

Re: Check out my Granny\'s waist length hair.

Her hair looks gorgeous, and your last comment is right.
smile.gif
For some, simplicity if the best way to go.
up.gif

loving your grandma's hair----fashionslave has the sexy grandma
wink.gif
every pic i see from that time has women with the same chin length hair or a flip, its very nice to see your grandma being different and beautiful
smile.gif

I wish I could have such a simple regimen. Your Granny is a beautiful lady. Hmph. The entire family is beautiful.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I wish I could have such a simple regimen. Your Granny is a beautiful lady. Hmph. The entire family is beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the complement Allandra.

I'd like to ad that my Grandmother does not moisturize her hair during the week and she sleeps with an old pair of cotton panties on her head.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:

I'd like to ad that my Grandmother does not moisturize her hair during the week and she sleeps with an old pair of cotton panties on her head.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever works!
weird.gif

WOW!! SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!

They are right, less is better. Your grandmother is living proof.
smile.gif

Wow Afashionslave, that is gorgeous. I've been trying to simply my hair care regime too especially since transitioning. Currently I only use Dr. Brommer's Aloe vera castile soap and Aubrey's GPB or Jojoba Aloe conditioners, moisturizing with Jojoba or coconut oil.
Your entire family looks really nice, I also love your natural hair photos!!

Wow, I'm beginning to believe that simplicity trully is the key. The reason we have so much breakage is that we over-manipulate our hair. Look at people with dreadlocks, they don't touch their hair and keeps growing. My goal this year is to create a simple regimen, with very few staple products and very little hair manipulation.
Your family is really attractive!

Hey, I use Dr. Bronner's products, too. I just a bought a large bottle of liquid peppermint soap. I wash my hair, face and shower with it.

I'll will go crazy without this stuff!!

Your grandmother is beautiful and her hair is beautiful as well. You mean she had the patience to press all that her herself???? Wow, I am impressed.

Your grandmother is beautiful and her hair is beautiful as well. You mean she had the patience to press all that her herself???? Wow, I am impressed.

I know Honey, I absolutely love the Almond (which smells like the Jergen's original lotion) and the Aloe vera. I use it for everything as well, my face, hair, and as a body wash, hand wash. It's great!!!

Pretty! I can respect her initiative in taking charge of her hair at home instead of depending on a stylist at a salon to maintain the length.

Did she apply her own relaxers, or go to the salon for it?

i really like that pic! and your grandma's hair looks great! like she just stepped out of the salon! I think simplicity works, but I just like to try so many different products I know I probably mess up sometimes. I bet your grandma eats right and drinks a good amount of water too.

That is what I wonder about though. We try to stay away from petroleum and mineral oil based products, but that's what folks used back in the day and lots of folks had nice hair. we started messing up when we decided we wanted to start using all these gels, weaves, and dye our hair blue and orange, lol

Wow, what a beautiful family. Your grandmother's hair is very shiney and pretty. It's good that her hair could handle such a regimen. I think I would be bald if I didnt condition, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
chyna said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes girl. My grandmother still presses and curls her own hair to this day. The woman also jumps rope with the neighborhood kids and mows her own lawn. She is 75 years old.

I think this picture was taken in 1964. Back then my grandmother would press and curl her own hair. She said it only took her a couple of hours to press her hair when her hair was waist length. After she would press and curl her hair her daughters would help her roll up her hair on toilet tissue or torn scrunched up brown paper bags.

I forgot to add that all of the girls in this picture are my grandmother's daughters and that is my grandfather in the middle. She got married at 18 and she had my mom at 19. She told me that was what you did back then...You got married and you had babies.

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
Pretty! I can respect her initiative in taking charge of her hair at home instead of depending on a stylist at a salon to maintain the length.

[/ QUOTE ]
My grandmother has always done her own hair. She has never had a hair relaxer. She told me that she thought about using permanents in the late seventies, but she decided against it. She told me that after her daughters started getting perms in the late seventies she watched their hair break right off.

shocked.gif
I can only imagine how strong hair relaxers were in the seventies.

That's a very nice picture and her hair looks great. I'm feeling those heels too!

I'm not American, so when you say "press and curl", what exactly are you talking about? Is that hot combing?

Wow, what a gorgeous family. Your grandmother looks fabulous!! I bet she got some cat calls and whistles!! My grandmother only pressed her hair too and had a head full of hair. Now that she's gotten older - 96 -her is thin and short, probably due to her age and medication.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Your Granny's hair is beautiful and so is she!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! I also love the simplicity of her regimen.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
I'm not American, so when you say "press and curl", what exactly are you talking about? Is that hot combing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes a press and curl is the same as hot combing. My grandmother told me that they call it a "press" because you press your hair against the back of the comb to get it bone straight.

My granny adds a little grease, puts her roots through the teeth of the comb, and then she spins the hot comb and smoothes it down the hair shaft.

Your granny's hair looks great.
smile.gif
She must have some really strong hair to handle no conditioner and still reach waist length.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sithembile
wave.gif

Yes, "press and curl" is hot combing (or as some call it ironing
look.gif
) and then using hot tongs (curling iron) to create curls/spirals.

AFS, WOW!
shocked.gif
WOW! (speechless)
...(Tongue loosens) I see great hair runs in the family.
smile.gif
BTW, the pic wasn't blurry at all. Very well preserved I say. Looks way better than the digipics I take with my lousy PC cam.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:

[/ QUOTE ]
My grandmother has always done her own hair. She has never had a hair relaxer. She told me that she thought about using permanents in the late seventies, but she decided against it. She told me that after her daughters started getting perms in the late seventies she watched their hair break right off.

shocked.gif
I can only imagine how strong hair relaxers were in the seventies.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think they had relaxers as we know them in the 60's- I think they used straight lye on their hair, but most pressed hair in the kitchen with a metal comb and a hot burner!
That's the same way I do mine now (it's out of braids now)
metal straightening iron, and the updated version of the stove- the portable ceramic oven!

Back