CHANGE FROM NO-LYE TO LYE

Lotus

I'm considering making the change from no-lye to lye. Has anyone made the change, from no-lye to lye? Did you do something special to protect the hair during the transition? Did you have significant damage? Read on the web to go over the no-lye hair with lye at the end of relaxer, just before rinse to remove calcium build up. Is this true?

Trying to pick ya'll mind for questions before I burn all my d@mn hair out- :lol: Please offer any advise.

This is the second time I have gone from no lye to lye since December of last year. Up until that point I was getting lye consistently. My first one was with affirm. If anything my scalp was a little dry in the weeks to follow. So I decided to go back to lye. The last no lye I got in April was mizani and that's when all hell broke lose. I had so much excessive shedding it was ridicolous. More than I have ever gotten before. So now I went back to lye. I am done with no lye perms from here on out.

I switched from no-lye to lye. Was doing the box perms and switched to Mizani lye. I didn't do anything differently than I usually do when I perm my hair. Just made sure I based myself really well and put the base on the already relaxed hair. My hair seems to have turned out just fine. No excessive shedding or damage at all.

I switched in 2000 and didn't have any breakage/damage problems from making the switch. My stylist(stylist at that time) did not go over the no-lye hair with the lye relaxer. I've read that before too, but don't like the sound of it. I guess you'll have to check more into that. You may be able to remove the calcium build up with a demineralizing or chelating treatment.

Lotus said:
I'm considering making the change from no-lye to lye. Has anyone made the change, from no-lye to lye? Did you do something special to protect the hair during the transition? Did you have significant damage? Read on the web to go over the no-lye hair with lye at the end of relaxer, just before rinse to remove calcium build up. Is this true?

Okay, this part that I highlighted sounds dangerous.... I woud NOT do this, even if it is recommended on line or by my stylist.:mad:

Hmm, well I still use my no-lye relaxer..... I dont know if I have calcium build-up, because i have no idea what it looks like. My hair appears strong, thick, soft, and shiny.... so I have no complaints. :)

But i know a lot of folks using no-lye complain of the calcium build-up...... I wonder if i have this......?

Hi Lotus,

I used to use Optimum no-lye for years, and I noticed that my hair was dry all the time even whem moisturizing daily. I switched to Bantu mild (lye) and my hair is not as dry and I didn't experience major breakage.

In my relaxer days, I used to switch back and forth between lye and no-lye with no ill effects. Instead of going over no-lye with lye to address the calcium issue, a more advisable option is to use a chelating shampoo and a moisturizing deep treatment afterwards.

balisi said:
In my relaxer days, I used to switch back and forth between lye and no-lye with no ill effects. Instead of going over no-lye with lye to address the calcium issue, a more advisable option is to use a chelating shampoo and a moisturizing deep treatment afterwards.

What is a chelating shampoo/treatment? Since I use a no-lye relaxer every 8-9 weeks.... how often should I use the chelating shampoo to remove the calcium buildup?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
A chelating poo is used for the removal of product buildup and mineral deposits that may be left by hard water or no-lye relaxers.

When I switched to no-lye (ORS), I noticed that my hair immediately felt waaay drier while washing it out. I couldn't glide my hands smoothly down my hair like I usually can when I'm washing my hair. But after I clarified several times & not until the wash after the relaxer, did my hair feel normal again. I was expecting this though so I wasn't bothered b/c no-lye didn't burn and my hair got straight. However, me & no-lye got beef when my scalp flaked up & itched like nobody's business.

balisi said:

Me too! I switched back and forth seamlessly. No problems at all.:yep:

I also agree 100% on the chelating poo for removing the buildup. One or two treatments after your relaxer should do it if all you have to worry about is the relaxer. If you have hard water on the other hand, the mineral buildup will be an ongoing concern for you . . . basically everytime you wash your hair. Since chelating poos are pretty intensive, using them once or twice a week may be too much for your hair to handle. In that case, you'd probably want to consider long term options (filters/purified water on hand) if hard water is what you are combatting.

I switched from no-lye to lye about three years ago and I would never use a no-lye relaxer again. I had the first few lye relaxers done by a professional since I wanted to avoid overlapping and overprocessing.

My hair looks and feels so much better with a lye relaxer - it's softer and not as dry as it was before. When I was using Optimum (no-lye) my hair always looked as if it was 'ashy' and I don't have that strange look/build-up on my hair anymore.

I switched to Mizani Lye after using Optimum no-lye box perm for years. My hair is so much softer now and not dry like it used to be before. I decided to do it after reading Shamboosies book on black hair. However, I didn't do the "corrective retouch" like he suggested by putting the relaxer over entire hair for the last few minutes. I only retouched my new growth. No problems at all.

First, let me try to be specific.

I have 4a/b coarse dry hair, thick and relaxed. After my initial relaxer (Rene Fuetuer) my hair was beautiful and amazing but little by little the damage happened. The relaxer i used was optimum (out of the box) and fabulaxer. My hair dried out and I'm not sure if it was due to the calcium build up but last year I switched to lye (I also had 4 mos. of new growth) and I tried Vitale I was very unhappy ecause it didnt get it bone straight.

I tried again after another 4 months and tried motions oil lye and it was amazing. My hair came out straight, you can physically tell the diff b/w my lye and the no-lye. the next two relaxers were Motions oil and it was great. My hair is less porous but my no-lye ends (from nape to armpit) are just a different texture.
The last relaxer I tried however, made me shed and my scalp was sore. It was Mizani Sensitive scalp! I'm never doing that again. I do want to give Mizani another try though.

My goal is to cut the no-lye ends off and just do lye. HTH.

when i switched, I could tell a difference between the lye and no lye. I went from using optimum care no lye box relaxer to use Motions oil relaxer (lye).

I self relaxed and I did go over my hair but I was told to do that in order to "match the textures" Lye relaxed hair and no lye relaxed hair looks different and in some cases it is noticeable.

Since then, I have use revlon realistic and mizani. Right now I am loving mizani I bought a nice sized tub and that should last me for a while.

I switched from no lye box perms to Mizani Lye regular. I will not be using no lye again. My hair is so much softer and not as dryed out like before.

cosigning on Mizani Lye..it is the truth. I made the switch just last week, and i just had my newgrowth done.. it feels great!! I am not able to tell the difference between my no-lye and lye hair.. probably because my hair has been switching from lye to no-lye without me knowing it for 2 years.. hope the lye works out great for you!!!

Thanks ladies!

Well, guess that does it. I'ma have to break down and install the water purifier. I live in TX and we have hard water here. My cousin has a water purifier system in her home and I can tell a big difference when I wash my hair at her house.

I havent seen Mizani in stores here w/o licence. Where are you guys ordering from?

TIA

I think you can order from Sheldeez.com. Even though I just get mine from the BSS. They don't ask for a license or anything even though the package says only for licensed professionals.

ella said:
bumpity,bump,bump:)

Ella, I'm sorry I missed this bump.

I didn't pre-treat or coat my old no-lye hair with anything.

I didn't go over the prior no-lye relaxed w/lye. I figured- when I rinsed before applying shampoo (in the shower)... some of they lye would invariably get one the old no-ly hair anyway.

I made the switch and it was the best thing for my hair. The difference between my lye vs no-lye hair is like night and day. I will not use no-lye again. I use Elucence w/olive oil added in.

*Thanks again ya'll for answering/replying to my questions*

Last edited:
I've been thinking about switching to lye from no-lye. Looks like most of you ladies had good experiences.

For those who went over the previously relaxed areas with the lye, how long did you leave it on?

Lotus said:
Ella, I'm sorry I missed this bump.

I didn't pre-treat or coat my old no-lye hair with anything.

I didn't go over the prior no-lye relaxed w/lye. I figured- when I rinsed before applying shampoo (in the shower)... some of they lye would invariably get one the old no-ly hair anyway.

I made the switch and it was the best thing for my hair. The difference between my lye vs no-lye hair is like night and day. I will not use no-lye again. I use Elucence w/olive oil added in.

*Thanks again ya'll for answering/replying to my questions*
Oh don't worry about that,I miss reply's and whole threads dedicated to me:lol: .
Thanks for posting your experience tough:)

Wow. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am also making the switch from no lye to lye. I used to be lye for a long time, motions, and then started using box relaxers which were no lye for a few years. I bought a big tub of motions oil moisturizer relaxer b/c I've heard good things about it and I had good results with them in the past before I went the no'lye route. I will have to pay attention to see if my hair feels less dry.

JazzyDez said:
I switched to Mizani Lye after using Optimum no-lye box perm for years. My hair is so much softer now and not dry like it used to be before. I decided to do it after reading Shamboosies book on black hair. However, I didn't do the "corrective retouch" like he suggested by putting the relaxer over entire hair for the last few minutes. I only retouched my new growth. No problems at all.

I just switched from my beloved Phyto II to Silk Elements, mostly to correct underprocessing. I followed Shamboosies corrective retouch instructions. It came out beautifully and I have experienced no burning, no breakage and no shedding since then.

Bump!

Did anyone else that did not go over no lye hair with lye relaxer notice a significant difference betweeen their no-lye and lye hair?

Interesting thread. Ive been doing no lye pretty much since Ive been getting relaxers. My next touchup is next week and I think Im gonna try lye. Unsure of the brand yet. Gotta hit up the BSS.

secretdiamond said:
A chelating poo is used for the removal of product buildup and mineral deposits that may be left by hard water or no-lye relaxers.

When I switched to no-lye (ORS), I noticed that my hair immediately felt waaay drier while washing it out. I couldn't glide my hands smoothly down my hair like I usually can when I'm washing my hair. But after I clarified several times & not until the wash after the relaxer, did my hair feel normal again. I was expecting this though so I wasn't bothered b/c no-lye didn't burn and my hair got straight. However, me & no-lye got beef when my scalp flaked up & itched like nobody's business.

WOWWW!!! This is ME to a "T"!!! So, I do wonder if using the ORS No-Lye after a long period of time could be the cause of my issues. Again, more research is needed...

I wish I could use lye relaxers...my scalp is so sensitive(I burn with mild, mizani, affirm, bantu,etc)..I use mizani sensitive scalp(no lye) and I like it so I have to stick with it..

Nixx said:
Bump!

Did anyone else that did not go over no lye hair with lye relaxer notice a significant difference betweeen their no-lye and lye hair?

bump................

Since we are talking about LYE VS NO LYE do u all notice a difference as far as stretching being easier w/ one or the other? I am starting to stretch and my new growth is something else. It's very tight, dry, and coiled. Almost feels likes its packed to my head ... it's a monster !! At this point i don't know what my stylist uses lye or no lye. I will be finding out on Tuesday. If it's no lye i am gonna ask to be switched to try lye.

Last edited:
Back