Cathy Howse Practicers - How do you set your hair after each wash?

tryn2growmyhair

The reason that I ask is that I am still doing the wash every 3 days thing. I think that it has helped me to grow by hair and keep my scalp smelling fresh.

The question is, I am worried about handling my hair too much. How do you set your hair after each wash? Is it too much for me to rollerset my hair each time. I will most likely not use heat and airdry rollerset or sit under the bonnet dryer with a cool setting.

I do Cathy Howse's every 3 days wash (I went for 4 days for the pic in my sig) and I rollerset each time for airdrying or airdrying with cool setting on dryer. Maybe it is too much manipulation, I don't know. I've been doing this now since 07/03. I don't have another way to dry my hair.

Isis said:
I do Cathy Howse's every 3 days wash (I went for 4 days for the pic in my sig) and I rollerset each time for airdrying or airdrying with cool setting on dryer. Maybe it is too much manipulation, I don't know. I've been doing this now since 07/03. I don't have another way to dry my hair.
Do you feel that you hair has still grown despite rollersetting all the time? Also, how wide is the comb that you use to set the hair on the rollers? Do you use the wide tooth, medium tooth, etc?

Do you notice a different in texture between airdrying and drying on cool? Thanks for your response and TIA for future responses.

You should be OK with your regimen as long as you take your time and have an extra gentle hand when manipulating. Don't do this when you are in a rush. You must be in the relax on matic mode. :look:

Im too lazy to rollerset my hair all the time, although I want to start doing it more often. Usually I either airdry in a ponytail (sometimes I roll the end of it) or I half airdry and then put it in braids for a braidout. Another cute style Ive found thats faster than a rollerset is to put my hair in 10-15 2 strand twists and roll the ends on permrods...then air dry or sit under the dryer. when I take them out I have a curly look.

I'm not doing the Cathy Howse practice, but rollersetting every three days is a form of manipulation, but if you plan on doing this... be very patient, careful, and take your time to prevent breakage. I saw your question to Isis about whether her hair still grew from doing this...your hair will still grow no matter what practice you do with your hair...it's whether you can care for your hair in such a way to prevent damage/breakage/etc. If rollersetting every 3 days isn't stressful on your hair, go for it. If you notice too many broken hairs from rollersetting every three days, then rethink your regime. I also agree with star when she said don't do this when you're in a rush...so make sure you have time every 3 days to rollerset your hair. Hope that helps! ;)

Thanks for all of your responses, guys. Question about those who put their hair into a bun -- how do you prevent this form of airdrying from being drying with your hair? What products are you putting in your hair. Airdry Rollersetting seems to be the most moisturizing for me, but I would like to not have to spend so much time and going back to just airdrying.
TIA for your responses.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Do you feel that you hair has still grown despite rollersetting all the time? Also, how wide is the comb that you use to set the hair on the rollers? Do you use the wide tooth, medium tooth, etc?

Do you notice a different in texture between airdrying and drying on cool? Thanks for your response and TIA for future responses.
Yes, I know my hair has still grown. Rollersetting is the best thing I've ever done with my hair. It wasn't even a concept before the hair boards.

I use a wide tooth comb, always.

My hair is smooth with lots of body when I airdry in a rollerset and rollerset drying on a cool setting. I feel it is even smoother when I dry on a cool setting with my ion dryer - the negative ions smooth the cuticle and condition the hair, adding more moisture. I haven't owned a regular hair dryer to know the difference.

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
I'm not doing the Cathy Howse practice, but rollersetting every three days is a form of manipulation, but if you plan on doing this... be very patient, careful, and take your time to prevent breakage. I saw your question to Isis about whether her hair still grew from doing this...your hair will still grow no matter what practice you do with your hair...it's whether you can care for your hair in such a way to prevent damage/breakage/etc. If rollersetting every 3 days isn't stressful on your hair, go for it. If you notice too many broken hairs from rollersetting every three days, then rethink your regime. I also agree with star when she said don't do this when you're in a rush...so make sure you have time every 3 days to rollerset your hair. Hope that helps! ;)
I agree with patience and taking time to rollerset, which is a habit for me. I don't experience breakage from rollersetting every 3 days though. If I did, I would have stopped long ago. The Cathy Howse 3 day wash method is more manipulation also but so far, so good.

I want to add that even if I rollerset my hair every week or every 2 weeks, I would be as patient with my hair, taking my time.

Last edited:
Back