Cathy Howse 365 Days Challenge 2010-2011

OH YEAH!!!! Love Cathy Howse and her techniques. I used her DC and wave neaveau as my moisturizer for a year and my hair thrived!!! I haven't found a DC as good as hers yet and I have tried everything from salon products to drugstore brands. The only thing that came close was that pantene relaxed and natural DC that was discontinued.

I bought a bottle of her DC (32oz with a pump) and it lasted a year and I'm very heavy handed. Course when I started I didn't have a lot of hair. One thing that I realized is that I only needed to use her DC twice a month. Otherwise, for me, it was too much protein.

I typed all this to say: "Can I join too".:grin:

I absolutely swear by Cathy Howse. I bought her book and used her methods for 2 years and I went from damaged chin length hair to healthy APL hair. This was before I found this beloved site.

Count me in, I need to go back to using her dew and lotion. The conditioner I can make for myself. I don't know how I will be able to wash twice a week though since I'm transitioning and I don't want to manipulate my hair too much.

Sounds like a worthwhile challenge indeed!!! Please count me in.

Ladies, please list the products you're using. Will Roux Mendex be okay for the protein conditioner???

I didn't post my regimen and products so here goes. Once a week I plan to:
  • Pre poo with my oil and conditioner mix
  • Shampoo with SLS free Elast QP Soy Oyl
  • DC with UBH Deep Conditioner under the dryer for 20-30 minutes
  • Rinse out DC and do a quick condition with a moisture rich condish for slip
  • Light protein using Aphogee 2 minute every other week
  • Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks
  • Moisture with UBH Creme Moisturizer twice a day/seal with EVCO
  • If my hair needs washing more than once a week, one of my washes will be a cowash with TJ Nourish Spa
  • Protective style most of the time

Starting pic:

-I need half an inch to reach bottom bsl (hopefully by the end of this month)
-2 inches from bsl to reach MBL (By Dec 2010)
-2 more inch to reach WSL (BY July 2011-end of challenge)

i'm a bit optimistic but wsl is definitely possible by July:grin::grin::grin:

Attachments

• yyy.jpg
    yyy.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 34
I did a slight texturizer today so I washed with neutralizing shampoo, followed by my Roux Mendex mix, then with Organix coconut. My leave in is Knot Today.

My next wash will be Sunday evening.

Pls count me in, i should post a starting pic next week coz i plan to relax my hair and im stil waiting for some products that i plan to use. I would like to be at least full BSL by the end of this challenge.
im a newbie so i find it easier to assemble my stuff and take a pic :lachen: instead of listing them down. if its ok :blush:

Can I still join? I need a better regimen because my hair has been chin length for a long time. I will take starting pics this weekend.

I just ordered some of the Deep Conditioner, I've always wanted to try it as I've heard so many positive reviews. Anyway I so happen to have a distributor that is based just down the road from me, so I ordered it over the phone this morning and it has just been delivered to me a few hours later!

Now that's what I call service! :D

Pls count me in, i should post a starting pic next week coz i plan to relax my hair and im stil waiting for some products that i plan to use. I would like to be at least full BSL by the end of this challenge.
im a newbie so i find it easier to assemble my stuff and take a pic :lachen: instead of listing them down. if its ok :blush:

Im quoting coz i decided not to relax until end of the month so here is my starting pic.
I have an inch growth.
My regime
Pre poo with honeysuckle Rose once a week and i use garlic powder mixed with castor oil and EVOO for shredding
Shampoo with Pantene Pro-V
Dcing with Motions , Botanical Marrow, HoneySuckle Rose - ( i will be alternating)
Aphoghee 2 steps once a month
Leave-in conditioner Giovanni Weighlesss moisture
to moisture my hair Im using Castor oil- coz im on this challenge, Im also using Nutiva coconut oil
Im using some aid growth- MN + MT i mix it with pepper mint EVOO, and castor oil.
Im still learning and trying to devlop a regime. i might edit my regime coz i just chaged my products.
Here is my starting pic which was taken on 23rd Jun coz i have senegalise braids at the moment

IMG_3629.jpg

i trimmed the ends - (compare to my siggy pic)

Hello ladies,

My biggest problem is consistency and accountability but I am going to do THIS!

1. I began co-washing again in May. I co-wash 2x a week but started using Hair One last month not sure if I will purchase it again cause I prefer co-washing.

2. I will deep condition once a week or at least every other.

3. I do Protein treatments every 2 weeks (just started about 5 weeks ago and it stopped breakage that I was having).

4. I recently started using EVOO and absolutely love it.

3. I NEVER let my hair dry without any leave ins.

4. I just learned to blow dry on cool. I had to force myself to leave the switch on cool. My hair thanked me!

5. I never use brushes NO HAIR BRUSHES!!!!

6. I usually only moisturize every few days. I will CHANGE this today!!!

7. I limit the combing and have changed the way I comb.

8. Stretch your relaxers (try up to 10 weeks or more) --- I don't usually stretch but I will try.

10. Limit your direct heat to 1 or 2x a month --- ok this one is ALWAYS hard for me.

11. I will dust off her book.

I will not be using her products (at least not in the beginning) but just her techniques instead!!

I am stuck at one length (barely SL) and have trouble with being consistant.

I will add journaling to my regimen as I think it will help me stay on track.

Last edited:
The challenge is going really well so far!!:grin: I'm planning to deep condition tomorow but my hair has not dried out at all throughout the week, so i'll stop myself from being too heavy handed:drunk::drunk:

I would love to join, but know that I wont be able to get focused on it until August (Bar Exam, uggghh)... is that okay? If so, I'll go from August 10- August 11.

I've learned so much and acheived great length and health in my hair since joining LHCF, but I think I can take my hair to another level with consistency and accountability (I don't even have a reggie)!

Will post starting pic and reggie in August.

Im quoting coz i decided not to relax until end of the month so here is my starting pic.
I have an inch growth.
My regime
Pre poo with honeysuckle Rose once a week and i use garlic powder mixed with castor oil and EVOO for shredding
Shampoo with Pantene Pro-V
Dcing with Motions , Botanical Marrow, HoneySuckle Rose - ( i will be alternating)
Aphoghee 2 steps once a month

Leave-in conditioner Giovanni Weighlesss moisture
to moisture my hair Im using Castor oil- coz im on this challenge, Im also using Nutiva coconut oil
Im using some aid growth- MN + MT i mix it with pepper mint EVOO, and castor oil.
Im still learning and trying to devlop a regime. i might edit my regime coz i just chaged my products.
Here is my starting pic which was taken on 23rd Jun coz i have senegalise braids at the moment

i trimmed the ends - (compare to my siggy pic)

You need to be really careful using the Aphogee so reguarly, minimum time between each use is six weeks. You don't want to overload on protein.

Okay, so I'm officially on the challenge! Pics tomorrow now that I officially trimmed and twisted. :grin:

I washed with Roux 5-1 Alpha Shampoo first and then clarifyed with Giovanni's 50:50 Hydrating Shampoo. I did two shampoos since I only had a 2 oz amount of Giovanni's and I didn't want to use too much of it (I shampoo twice).

Then, I used Duo Tex. I sprayed it on, waited about 10 minutes, rinsed it out. Then, I DC'ed with AOHSR. I waited 10 minutes, rinsed out. I'll do a deep moisturizing treatment Wednesday. This wash day was for protein really.

I wash in small twists and redo them to cut time. I've had my hair twisted up since June.

I trimmed about 2 - 3 inches of hair (split ends). It turns out the front was worse than the back. I also was a little sad seeing the hair go, but happy once I felt my ends. I think I'll chop another inch at the end of the summer for good measure, but I know I'll probably have to cut deeper at the crown/front.

I used Giovanni Direct Leave-in and castor oil on top. LOVE it :lick: It was better than Darcy's Botanicals.... I'm considering buying the liter for the leave-in.

Oh, I didn't use heat since Duo Tex doesn't call for it (and works fine without it).

I will overnight my moisturizing DC on Wednesday.

You need to be really careful using the Aphogee so reguarly, minimum time between each use is six weeks. You don't want to overload on protein.

Thank you so much.. I did not know. I will use it once every six to eight weeks then.

On my second wash for the week.

Wash: Aphogee for damaged hair
Cond: Roux Mendex, with oil mixtures
DC: Organix Coconut
Leave In: Knot Today
Style for the week:Twisted with KCCC

Got my new OCT yesterday! Love their service.

Friday I:

Prepooed w/ WGO/EVOO
Shampoo: BWC rosemary mint tea tree
conditioner: V05 raspberry to detangle
DC: Pantene something or other for curly hair
final AVC rinse.

Now I need to go load my cam onto my phone so I can access my pics.

When I first started my HHJ, I used this method and let me tell you I went from above SL to APL in like 7 months. It's funny because for the last week i have been considering going on another 365 day challenge to get a few more inches and to get my hair even thicker. I'm MBL now. This must be a sign so yeah sign me up. Need to keep track of these challenges and take some starting pics!

I tried making the mix in the OP, but the olive oil separated from the original mix. Anyone have any ideas to prevent this in the future?

Back