Caruso Rollers

DigitalRain

Is there a Hit and Miss thread yet? Cause I want to add Caruso rollers to the miss list.

These rollers left my hair a frizzy mess. What did I do wrong? I had such high hopes~~

DigitalRain said:
Is there a Hit and Miss thread yet? Cause I want to add Caruso rollers to the miss list.

These rollers left my hair a frizzy mess. What did I do wrong? I had such high hopes~~

wow. they've had such rave reviews.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who've had a bad experience with these things. Maybe I just didn't do it right but my hair turned out a poofy mess!

How long are you ladies leaving them in? I use these faithfully with excellent results. If you remove the rollers too soon you hair will be frizzy. I normally leave my rollers in about 3 minutes because I like a looser curl. They are not rollers you can leave in for seconds and remove because it will leave your hair a little damp. I also use end papers too to get a smoother curl.

i agree with Michelle- these rollers are very important when it comes to timing. Don't leave them on the steamer too long- it'll make them too wet. Don't take them out too soon- the hair won't have time to set.
When I used these many years ago I hated them too. I purchased them again just about two years ago and now I think they are the BEST.

Here's the difference; the old set said that the rollers should be left on the steamer for about 30 secs to one min. Wayyyyy too much water for my hair. The new ones say to set the roller on the steamer for up to 15 secs. I consistently steam for about 3-5 secs depending on the length and thickness of the section of hair I want to curl.

The old set said to remove the rollers way to soon for my hair to set. I leave them in now for 15-20 mins while I'm off doing other get ready things- make up, ironing, breakfast.

If I use them when I have air dried my hair the look is totally different from blow dried or flat ironed hair. Its still nice and curly, but not as smooth.

Lastly, I always have some product already on my hair like mousse, gel, hair spray or what ever- before putting in the rollers. For example, when I flat iron I use mousse and some shine enhancer, so the next day when I use the rollers these products are already on my hair. Maybe this helps to prevent some frizz and may help hold the curl longer. I will also add a little more mousse when I need the curls to be really crisp for an evening out or dress up.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Michelle and Ravensunshine.

I mentally count to 10 seconds when I leave the rollers on the steam vent. Then I shake off any excess moisture and quickly roll up my hair using end papers. I leave them in anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, depending on what I'm doing and how much of a curl or wave I want.

My hair isn't flat-ironed or blowdried - I use these on hair airdried in a rollerset so your curls or waves would look much smoother than mine in my avatar.

michelle3147 said:
How long are you ladies leaving them in? I use these faithfully with excellent results. If you remove the rollers too soon you hair will be frizzy. I normally leave my rollers in about 3 minutes because I like a looser curl. They are not rollers you can leave in for seconds and remove because it will leave your hair a little damp. I also use end papers too to get a smoother curl.
I was about to suggest something along this line...
I leave mine in for a minimum of 10min , and if I'm in a hurry then I'll go over the sections with a blowdrier. My hair never comes out frizzy, and if the curl is too tight then I will lightly go over the sections with a blowdrier.

Ive never heard of these before--where do you find them? I have hot rollers but that is just heat. I want to know more.

grnidmonster said:
Ive never heard of these before--where do you find them? I have hot rollers but that is just heat. I want to know more.

You can get them at Sally's. Unfortunately, when I went there they were sold out.:(

karezone said:
when you all use end papers, do you just fold them around the ends of your hair?
I don't. After I steam the roller, I quickly wrap the end paper around the roller, then roll up my hair.

Another suggestion--try a smaller roller. I purchased the jumbo replacement ones so that I could have lots of loose curls. But I realized that the jumbo ones don't curl my hair tighly enough and loosen up, leaving my hair fat and frizzy. When I use the large or medium (even with bra length hair) I get a much better set.

I'd like to try these, but my hair is texturized. If I flat-iron my hair and use these, will the steam make my hair curly all over again?

I probably did them wrong! I will try again in the future and hopefully I'll be sucessful!

BTW I forgot to mention, Michelle your hair looks really beautiful!

*ElleB said:
What are end papers, how do they look and how do u usue them?
End papers are thin, white (almost transparent) sheets of paper cut into rectangular shapes and come in boxes of different sizes. These rectangles are designed to wrap around rollers before rolling up the hair. I buy the Sally's brand of 1000 jumbo end wraps for $1.59 (about 69 cents when on sale).

End papers protect the hair when rolling, especially when using sponge rollers.:)

Isis said:
I agree with Michelle and Ravensunshine.

I mentally count to 10 seconds when I leave the rollers on the steam vent. Then I shake off any excess moisture and quickly roll up my hair using end papers. I leave them in anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, depending on what I'm doing and how much of a curl or wave I want.

My hair isn't flat-ironed or blowdried - I use these on hair airdried in a rollerset so your curls or waves would look much smoother than mine in my avatar.

use the paper...Trust her....I tried it and my hair came out great. If you do it without it comes out frizzy.

I went to Sally's yesterday and had them in my hand. I put them back because I kept thinking about this thread. Watch, when I go back, they will be sold out:(

Like one poster said you have to wait until all the moisture has evaporated before removing them. You have to wait it evaporates OR sit under a dryer or use a hand held dryer. It just speeds up the time that's all. I've never used end papers with these and always came out with frizzless ends/set but that's an excellent tip!

I was skeptical, especially after seeing pics of some of the results. But I am sold on these curlers. I agree that you must allow them to stay in a good bit of time so they don't end up frizzy. I allow my hair a full 20 minutes, I've even done it over night. Also someone mentioned using smaller rollers. The jumbo rollers don't really do much at all unless I'm wrapping them super duper tight.
My curls last all day, but they don't last over night as the box suggests : curls last for days! .... I'on know about alll that :look:

ravensunshine said:
i agree with Michelle- these rollers are very important when it comes to timing. Don't leave them on the steamer too long- it'll make them too wet. Don't take them out too soon- the hair won't have time to set.
When I used these many years ago I hated them too. I purchased them again just about two years ago and now I think they are the BEST.

Here's the difference; the old set said that the rollers should be left on the steamer for about 30 secs to one min. Wayyyyy too much water for my hair. The new ones say to set the roller on the steamer for up to 15 secs. I consistently steam for about 3-5 secs depending on the length and thickness of the section of hair I want to curl.

The old set said to remove the rollers way to soon for my hair to set. I leave them in now for 15-20 mins while I'm off doing other get ready things- make up, ironing, breakfast.

If I use them when I have air dried my hair the look is totally different from blow dried or flat ironed hair. Its still nice and curly, but not as smooth.

Lastly, I always have some product already on my hair like mousse, gel, hair spray or what ever- before putting in the rollers. For example, when I flat iron I use mousse and some shine enhancer, so the next day when I use the rollers these products are already on my hair. Maybe this helps to prevent some frizz and may help hold the curl longer. I will also add a little more mousse when I need the curls to be really crisp for an evening out or dress up.

Hope this helps.

How would you use the mousse on your head when flat ironing?

Do you all find that this will eventually lead to damage, I use it maybe once a week a few days after I flat-iron my hair.

They don't damage my hair and I've been using them daily for more than six years. In fact, they make my hair healthy.

I use end papers on the ends of my hair. I fold the rectangular around the very ends and slide it down so my ends never have contact with the roller...then I roll it up. I wouldn't put the paper over the roller and block the steam from having a direct hit on my hair. I love the way the steam hydrates my hair. Sometimes I'll but a little liquid conditioner in the steamer for more benefits, so I don't want to block that either.

I steam my rollers for 3 seconds and leave them in for about 5 minutes. That works for me, because I like soft casual, blended curls not a really defined set. My mom leaves hers in for like 20 to 25 minutes. So you really have to experiment and see what's best for you.

When I first started using Caruso, my hair was frizzy. I was using too much steam, rolling too tight, and leaving them in too long.

My roller is never wet when I put it in my hair. It doesn't have to be really damp to work. Trust the 3 to 5 seconds. I don't roll tightly at all. I use absolutely no tension.

Last edited:
sassyhair said:
Do you all find that this will eventually lead to damage, I use it maybe once a week a few days after I flat-iron my hair.

They won't damage your hair at all...in fact they help moisturize it with the steam. You don't even have to flat iron your hair before you use them. I love them! :)

Thanks alot, but i usually flat iron once a week before using them because without the flat ironing it is frizzy town. What type of liquid conditioner is being used, and I thought I read not to add anythings to the water.

MizAvalon said:
You can get them at Sally's. Unfortunately, when I went there they were sold out.:(

I have gone to Sally's 3 times looking for these and each time they were sold out.

I'll just be ordering them online from here which is what I should have done in the first place! www.tenderheaded.com

I really want to try these. They sound like a really good no heat styling option but I wonder if they would work with natural hair. I'm trying to imagine it and i'm thinking my hair would come out frizzy. What do I do to my hair before I roll it up.....air dry? Do any naturals have pics using these? TIA!

Back