Caruso Rollers

sassyhair said:
Thanks alot, but i usually flat iron once a week before using them because without the flat ironing it is frizzy town. What type of liquid conditioner is being used, and I thought I read not to add anythings to the water.

I have added 911 emergency and anytype of liquid conditioner I had around...just a drop or two -- if it's too much it will bubble up. And you'll have to use vinegar to clean out your steamer if you do this too much.

I don't know where you read not to add anything to the water ...because I distinctly remember Caruso booklets recommending putting a drop or two of conditioner in -- in fact the company used to sell a small bottle of something years ago, which I bought ...but then decided I would find my own.

It's been years since I've read those booklets though...

for the month of april they have a save $4 coupon at sally's
for those who never can catch em when you go ask if they can order you one or ask when they get shipments or have any in the back.

Synthia said:
They don't damage my hair and I've been using them daily for more than six years. In fact, they make my hair healthy.

I use end papers on the ends of my hair. I fold the rectangular around the very ends and slide it down so my ends never have contact with the roller...then I roll it up. I wouldn't put the paper over the roller and block the steam from having a direct hit on my hair. I love the way the steam hydrates my hair. Sometimes I'll but a little liquid conditioner in the steamer for more benefits, so I don't want to block that either.

I steam my rollers for 3 seconds and leave them in for about 5 minutes. That works for me, because I like soft casual, blended curls not a really defined set. My mom leaves hers in for like 20 to 25 minutes. So you really have to experiment and see what's best for you.

When I first started using Caruso, my hair was frizzy. I was using too much steam, rolling too tight, and leaving them in too long.

My roller is never wet when I put it in my hair. It doesn't have to be really damp to work. Trust the 3 to 5 seconds. I don't roll tightly at all. I use absolutely no tension.
I've never tried putting the end papers on my hair rather than on the rollers. I do notice though that the steam goes through the end papers immediately. Next time I use them, I'll try it your way. :scratchch

I've used these for several years also, even before LHCF and it continues to be a great, hair-healthy choice.

Pokahontas said:
I really want to try these. They sound like a really good no heat styling option but I wonder if they would work with natural hair. I'm trying to imagine it and i'm thinking my hair would come out frizzy. What do I do to my hair before I roll it up.....air dry? Do any naturals have pics using these? TIA!
They work with natural hair but so far, I haven't been able to find my old booklet with specific, natural black hair instructions. I have a new system now and the booklet is different. Many naturals on this board have asked how it works on natural hair. I wish I could remember what was printed.

Isis said:
They work with natural hair but so far, I haven't been able to find my old booklet with specific, natural black hair instructions. I have a new system now and the booklet is different. Many naturals on this board have asked how it works on natural hair. I wish I could remember what was printed.

Hi Isis, which new system do you have? I am very curious about the caruso rollers (getting a bit tired of my one low braid at the back of my head LOL). Do you air dry your hair before hand? Sorry for the questions, but I have only received rollersets from my stylist, thanks. :)

Bought the Caruso rollers a while back - used it one time and my hair was a hot mess. I never had a roller set that looked so bad - very frizzy. Haven't used it since because I was so disappoined and probably scared to go through the whole disappointment again. I will give it a second chance though.

Doll said:
Hi Isis, which new system do you have? I am very curious about the caruso rollers (getting a bit tired of my one low braid at the back of my head LOL). Do you air dry your hair before hand? Sorry for the questions, but I have only received rollersets from my stylist, thanks. :)

Hello Doll!
I have a new Caruso system. With the old one you had to add salt to make steam but this works with just water.

I airdry my hair in a rollerset, usually overnight to straighten out my hair rather than for style. Then I'll do something else like a braidout or smooth updo or waves with the Caruso (like in my avatar).

Isis said:
Hello Doll!
I have a new Caruso system. With the old one you had to add salt to make steam but this works with just water.

I airdry my hair in a rollerset, usually overnight to straighten out my hair rather than for style. Then I'll do something else like a braidout or smooth updo or waves with the Caruso (like in my avatar).

Thanks for the info Isis! Your avatar and hair album are beautiful. I think I'll try the caruso system.

What size rollers do you ladies use?

Isis said:
Ok, thanks Isis. I guess I'll have to try them out and see what results I get. I just hope they take them back if they don't work, lol.

Synthia said:
I have added 911 emergency and anytype of liquid conditioner I had around...just a drop or two -- if it's too much it will bubble up. And you'll have to use vinegar to clean out your steamer if you do this too much.

I don't know where you read not to add anything to the water ...because I distinctly remember Caruso booklets recommending putting a drop or two of conditioner in -- in fact the company used to sell a small bottle of something years ago, which I bought ...but then decided I would find my own.

It's been years since I've read those booklets though...

Thanks ...I bought some infusium to try this today.

I'm trying my carusos today.

I got them at Sally's and yep---you can take them back w/in 90 days w/ receipt and package.

Doll said:
Thanks for the info Isis! Your avatar and hair album are beautiful. I think I'll try the caruso system.

What size rollers do you ladies use?
Thank you Doll and you're welcome! I just want to clarify that I rollerset with magnetic rollers first to airdry my hair, then I use the Caruso rollers for style (unless I braid my hair up or bun it). I use all of the sizes, depending on what I'm doing. If it's for medium waves, like in my avatar, then I'll use the medium-sized ones. If I'm just bumping the ends, I'll use the jumbo-sized rollers. When I wear braidouts, I'll sometimes roll up just the ends of the braids for 5 - 10 minutes using the medium or small-sized rollers.

You're welcome too Pokahontas. Please post how they work on your natural hair when you try it. There are many natural inquiring minds here who want to know!

Last edited:
Back