Caramel Treatment is the truth (homemade)

lollyoo

Ok,

Lets just say I first saw the recipe on BHM back when I was transitioning late 2007. early 2008 but never tried it.

My mix was about 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup palm oil, 1/8 cup blackstrap molasses, 2 tablespoon avocado oil

very sticky, no water, no bananas

I applied all over like relaxer application, left on for 1 hr.

After rinsing the hair was softer, appeared stretched, but it wasnt very soft.

I followed with my conditioner, and rinsed, OH MY the result was unbelievable super soft hair, the coils were popping all over the place.

It was not stretched out like yoghurt lime mixture where its almost like you loose you curl pattern, but its like retaining your curl but looser, and more defined kind of way.

To finish off- I applied creamy leave-in seal with macadamia butter

I will continue to do this at least weekly, love love it, I did not even deep condition only co-washed.

I wish tried this when I was transitioning instead of yoghurt lime mixture, may be I would have continued with the 24 months transition, instead of cutting earlier at 10 months.

New transitioners you need to try this.

So What I will change next time, use only 1/2 cup or less of oil in total, it dripped a bit- will be using equal amount of olive, avocado and palm oil.
But will add 2 tablespoon of manketti oil

HTH

OP, I'm so glad you posted this. First, b/c you reminded me of it. Second, b/c your recipe seems more simpler than others I've seen.

As anal as I am with keeping up with my proper hair care practices, I'm too lazy for anything too involved. I can deal with 3 or 4 ingredients but beyond that I start to get a little overwhelmed.

I noticed you said you were going to do this once a week. However, I've read that it should not be done more than every 4 weeks at a time. Did you just start doing this? I'm just wondering if there are adverse effects to doing this treatment more frequently. I have not been able to find/figure out an answer to that. Please keep us updated on your progress with this, if you don't mind. TIA :yep:

By the way, I'm also transitioning.

Sounds like the DivaSmooth Treat!!!!
Good for you!

Caramel, divasmooth, honey and olive oil Treats..... They are similar and give good results....

Glad you liked it! I use the original recipe (honey, bananas, olive oil, blackstrap molasses, wheat germ oil, and acv) and I LOVE it.

I noticed you said you were going to do this once a week. However, I've read that it should not be done more than every 4 weeks at a time. Did you just start doing this? I'm just wondering if there are adverse effects to doing this treatment more frequently. I have not been able to find/figure out an answer to that. Please keep us updated on your progress with this, if you don't mind. TIA :yep:

By the way, I'm also transitioning.

I don't know why someone would say to only use this once a month. Maybe it's only if you intend on straightening and they don't want to encourage straightening too often? There's no reason I can think of to not use it more often, especially since it makes my hair more manageable and moisturized.

Blackstrap molasses is not a protein, but it can mimic a protein in the way that it affects the hair (it helps to stop breakage for sure) so if your hair is really sensitive to protein you could just leave it out.

Here's a thread about the caramel treatment:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=126629&page=3

It has a lot of great info along with different recipes. Personally, I use the SamanthaJones67 recipe because it's similar to the original product (Etae Caramel).

Glad you liked it! I use the original recipe (honey, bananas, olive oil, blackstrap molasses, wheat germ oil, and acv) and I LOVE it.

I don't know why someone would say to only use this once a month. Maybe it's only if you intend on straightening and they don't want to encourage straightening too often? There's no reason I can think of to not use it more often, especially since it makes my hair more manageable and moisturized.

Blackstrap molasses is not a protein, but it can mimic a protein in the way that it affects the hair (it helps to stop breakage for sure) so if your hair is really sensitive to protein you could just leave it out.

Here's a thread about the caramel treatment:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=126629&page=3

It has a lot of great info along with different recipes. Personally, I use the SamanthaJones67 recipe because it's similar to the original product (Etae Caramel).

OOH!!! I hope the makers of ETAE - don't come after me!!! :giggle:

Not that I would care!

Sounds like the DivaSmooth Treat!!!!
Good for you!

Caramel, divasmooth, honey and olive oil Treats..... They are similar and give good results....

SJ your siggy :blush::look:.

I'm going to sleep and my phone is dead so I can't call you...but I will text you tomorrow.

Hi,

I wanted to use SJ recipe but I had no banana at home. As I dont eat the bananas here (where I live). Taste very bland, thats a different story.

I only just started using it today but will be using once a week. I am currently using MT which has a lot of protein, with MT I need to co-wash 3-7 days a week or else I end up with dry hair. I think once a week caramel will balance the effect of the MT so I may not need to cowash often.

Hi,

I wanted to use SJ recipe but I had no banana at home. As I dont eat the bananas here (where I live). Taste very bland, thats a different story.

I only just started using it today but will be using once a week. I am currently using MT which has a lot of protein, with MT I need to co-wash 3-7 days a week or else I end up with dry hair. I think once a week caramel will balance the effect of the MT so I may not need to cowash often.

Awesome!!! Bananas are not Vital... But I like them - Avocados are also moisturizing....So you could use those too...

Hi,

Since you're using the MT you may want to leave out the molasses. Blackstrap molasses is not a protein but it can act like one so make sure you monitor your hair closely.

I just received my Etae caramel order and can't wait to try it. I will use it mostly to aid in my relaxer stretches and for a nice conditioning treat. Is it best to put this treatment on warm (not sure how I would warm it) so that applies easier?

I just received my Etae caramel order and can't wait to try it. I will use it mostly to aid in my relaxer stretches and for a nice conditioning treat. Is it best to put this treatment on warm (not sure how I would warm it) so that applies easier?

Room temp is fine - it should apply easily.....:yep:

Since you're using the MT you may want to leave out the molasses. Blackstrap molasses is not a protein but it can act like one so make sure you monitor your hair closely.

Was thinking about this as well today, will remove molasses from recipe next time.

Thanks for the tip

Ok,

Lets just say I first saw the recipe on BHM back when I was transitioning late 2007. early 2008 but never tried it.

My mix was about 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup palm oil, 1/8 cup blackstrap molasses, 2 tablespoon avocado oil

very sticky, no water, no bananas

I applied all over like relaxer application, left on for 1 hr.

After rinsing the hair was softer, appeared stretched, but it wasnt very soft.

I followed with my conditioner, and rinsed, OH MY the result was unbelievable super soft hair, the coils were popping all over the place.

It was not stretched out like yoghurt lime mixture where its almost like you loose you curl pattern, but its like retaining your curl but looser, and more defined kind of way.

To finish off- I applied creamy leave-in seal with macadamia butter

I will continue to do this at least weekly, love love it, I did not even deep condition only co-washed.

I wish tried this when I was transitioning instead of yoghurt lime mixture, may be I would have continued with the 24 months transition, instead of cutting earlier at 10 months.

New transitioners you need to try this.

So What I will change next time, use only 1/2 cup or less of oil in total, it dripped a bit- will be using equal amount of olive, avocado and palm oil.
But will add 2 tablespoon of manketti oil

HTH

thank you for posting this. I had mentioned it before but the mixture was for a huge batch. I'll try again...maybe after the coconut cream natural relaxer/treatment. Not sure.:look:

Back