Can't wrap hair to save my life!

kamille8

You would think it's the most simple thing to do in hair care. But I just can't I wrapped my hair last night and it turned out crinkled and my bangs had sort of a Z shape. Ughhhh what am I doing wrong and am I really that stupid or is there some sort memo I'm missing *** to how to get my hair to fall flat after un-wrapping it:wallbash:

You would think it's the most simple thing to do in hair care. But I just can't I wrapped my hair last night and it turned out crinkled and my bangs had sort of a Z shape. Ughhhh what am I doing wrong and am I really that stupid or is there some sort memo I'm missing *** to how to get my hair to fall flat after un-wrapping it:wallbash:

Kickin'.

Imma have to sit under here with you because I can't do it either. Tried, failed to the point where I just figured my hair said it ain't meant to be. I got a thick head that just won't cooperate.

There's a trick (or 2) to it, just haven't run across the right one yet. Maybe someone can drop a hint?

Kickin'.

Imma have to sit under here with you because I can't do it either. Tried, failed to the point where I just figured my hair said it ain't meant to be. I got a thick head that just won't cooperate.

There's a trick (or 2) to it, just haven't run across the right one yet. Maybe someone can drop a hint?

Ok I feel better because I feel really dumb asking everytime I asked my sister she looks at me like I have two heads like how do you not know how to wrap your hair:rolleyes:.

LynnieB - don't feel bad. I gave up trying to get it right after I had my weave removed and went to natural hair. I STILL have no idea how to do it right and I tried the cross wrapping technique too. Still woke up with a puffy, crinkly mess. :-(

:lachen: here I was feeling like the one and only. I don't have access to youtube(blocked at work, no home). I'm uncoordinated and am styling challenged too! I need step-by-step instructions & pics!

I tried for the first time in over 4 year to wrap my hair last night. It went perfect. I find that a good paddle brush works best for wrapping. I tried my denman first and my hair just kept falling back down. Then I switched to a paddle brush and the wrap stayed in tack. This is first time I didnt get a weird cowlick that hurt from wrapping my hair. Honestly, I knew nothing about hair care back when I was in highschool. For some reason it wants to work now. My hair was freshly style ie. blow dried and flat ironed.

I have tried the cross wrap in the past and I dont like the results. I get dents on my ends from doing that. Most days I just stuff my hair in my pretty wrap and all is good when I wake up. But this darn humidty is killing my hair or at least my hair's style. So, Im trying to use techniques that maintain sleekness.

kamille8 how are you styling your hair right now? After styling is your hair sleek or poofy? I do know trying to wrap up poofy hair and hoping it will come out nice just doesnt work. The only advice I can offer right now is try to wrap with a paddle brush and check out you tube vids.

I read that wrapping causes thinning of the hair by the part - I don't know if that's true or not but either way I used that to decide not to stress myself out about wrapping my hair - so you could use that as an out if all else fails..hehe:)
One thing I did find that helped with wrapping is using the duck bill clips as you go along and when you are done use an open top satin wrap to secure your hair in place, you then remove the duck bill clips and put on your bonnet or whatever.

Last edited:
When my hair wouldnt cooperate I would put a large roller or 2 in the top of my head then just wrap the remaining hair around the sides and scarf. I found this also helped add volume on top hope this helps.

I wrap my hair around my head with a paddle brush and then smooth with bristle brush. The trick I found to perfectly smoothing it is to take your scarf, hold it up like you are going to tie it on and kind of smooth it around the wrap by spinning it 2 or 3 times in the same direction as the wrap. I hope that makes sense. If I made youtube vids I would post one lol.

LynnieB - don't feel bad. I gave up trying to get it right after I had my weave removed and went to natural hair. I STILL have no idea how to do it right and I tried the cross wrapping technique too. Still woke up with a puffy, crinkly mess. :-(

mzteaze love your hair!

OP when I was relaxed I tried my best to wrap my hair. When I finally got it right, I noticed that one side was thinning because of the constant brushing. Yeah, yeah I tried reversing it the other way :blush: DISASTER CITY! Tried cross-wrapping. Tried wrapping the outside and putting pillow curlers on top of my head :nono:. I gave up and just molded my hair the way that it wanted to go. Don't feel bad. Like someone said on this forum, "I always ended up with that gangsta lean on one side of my head" when I unwrapped it :ohwell:.

Back