Can Your SO/DH Do Your Daughter's Hair?

MizzBrown

I was reading an article in Sister 2 Sister magazine w/ an interview on the R&B group "Jagged Edge". Asked if they can do their daughter's hair and they said forget it! They call their mother, grandmother, female cousin if wifey isn't around.

Ladies, can your man successfully get your daughter's hair ready for school, picture day, etc? Can he wash and set? Braid or cornrow? Does he know how to moisturize and put in afro puffs and pigtails?

My dad was around growing up but he never touched my hair. The one time he HAD to do it was the LAST time and I cried and cried that morning and called my mom on her business trip and begged her NEVER to leave home again. My pigtails looked like :antlers:.

My dad never touched my hair when I was growing up, and my husband has never touched my daughter's hair - she is 13.

The most he can do is drop her off or pick her up from the salon.

I used to take my son along with me and my daughter when we were going to the salon to get his hair done by the barber, but about 6 years ago I stopped doing that and made it his dad's business to see to his hair. It was also a time for the two of them to spend time together.

my daddy used to wash my hair and my sister's when we took baths. that was about the extent of it.

i think that's kinda sad. :(

well, SO can comb our son's hair without tearing or making him cry, and he cuts our son's hair himself. so i'm hoping to cultivate that into basic girl hair care knowledge when and if we ever have one. he doesn't have to be able to do intricate styles, but i want him to be able to know how to put her hair into a few braids or SOMETHING if i'm not around.

Hubby can't braid or cornroll but is willing to learn :)

Hubby will wash and style DD hair and surprise the crap out of me becuz it'll be sooooooo cute. The only thing I don't like is when he uses the brush on her hair, I don't think that he knows how to brush correctly or understand that curly hair needs a little more patience when doing something like that.

Anyway, I take all the help that I can get.

When my girls were younger, DH could do mean Afro puffs. DDs still talk about his technique -- he wasn't gentle, but the results were tight! :rofl:

Ok my hubby has one advantage, his mom was a hairdresser when he was young. He used to be the wash boy until he was 10. I was very sick one day and my baby girl hair was dirty dirty and he put her on the counter got out her hair stuff, wash and conditoned her hair. Put in the leave-in and continued to do 4 puff balls. Now that she is older and her hair is thicker and longer, every once in awhile he do her hair just to keep up with the styles for her while she is still young and if he has no choice again. Being that we are military and most of our imediate neighbors are white he needs to know how to do hair, just incase.

I have to say I love that man, he wants to know as much as he can about my hair and my daugthers the products we use how we take care of it. Man one day I was too tired to comb my dd hair and tie it up for her to got to bed and she was crying because I wouldn't do her hair, he got the comb and did it for me. :love:

Ok my hubby has one advantage, his mom was a hairdresser when he was young. He used to be the wash boy until he was 10. I was very sick one day and my baby girl hair was dirty dirty and he put her on the counter got out her hair stuff, wash and conditoned her hair. Put in the leave-in and continued to do 4 puff balls. Now that she is older and her hair is thicker and longer, every once in awhile he do her hair just to keep up with the styles for her while she is still young and if he has no choice again. Being that we are military and most of our imediate neighbors are white he needs to know how to do hair, just incase.

I have to say I love that man, he wants to know as much as he can about my hair and my daugthers the products we use how we take care of it. Man one day I was too tired to comb my dd hair and tie it up for her to got to bed and she was crying because I wouldn't do her hair, he got the comb and did it for me. :love:

That is a sweet story...my dad is Air Force and we spent the majority of my life overseas, with three other black neighbors...he had to know how to do our hair whenever my mom wasn't there. He can wach the heck out of some hair!

My baby's father is white and is clueless about dealing with my daughter's curls. I let him try before and when he tried to detangle her hair, she was cryin and he was cryin. :lachen: I felt bad for him so I told him that he did a good job anyway.

Back