Can you last 1 YEAR without using direct heat?

If I were to never go anywhere special , then i would have noooo problems, but as soon as i want to go out or have something special to do....the pressing comb calls my name, and keeps callin untill i answer

so maybe i shall join this challenge when i become a hermit or somethin
grin.gif

Almost 2 years with no direct heat and 1 year COMPLETELY natural (no heat orno chemicals allowed on this gorgeous mane of mine)
blush.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
JetBlack said:
Ladies, I am amazed at how long my friend's hair has grown over the past 2 years. I asked her for her secret and she said, "no direct heat". She only gets roller sets. She has not used direct heat (flat irons, curling irons) for two years. She says that she trashed them two years ago. I don't know about you but I don't think I can do it. But I'm definitely going to try it for just 1 YEAR , starting today. I was going to try 6 MONTHS but I'm going for the year. Wish me luck! JetBlack
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this... I set out to go all of 2004 without heat and failed miserably. After June I'll try and last 1 year without heat
smile.gif

Whew
whyme.gif

Thanks Allandra, because I thought I was alone in this. I would LOVE to rid myself of direct heat, but my hair's thickness can make it unruly, esp. in the warmer weather, and it seems that heat is sometimes the best thing to "tame" it (currently, I'm always airdrying, never using a blow dryer, and using flat iron or curling iron about once every 1-2 months.)

Learning to rollerset properly will be key for me. If any of you ladies that have thicker hair that poofs up at the mere prospect of humidity/heat would like to take me under their tutelage and teach me about rollersetting and wrapping, I'm game.
grin.gif

I dont really use heat that much at all any way, but I do want my hair too grow as much as possible, but too give up the pressing comb too see how much lenght I gained is fine with me, but waiting a whole year will be a hard, best too everyone

minus the time that some fool flat ironed two sections of my hair, i have been free from blow dryers and irons for about 2 years.

So far so good...one month down...11 more to go
grin.gif

My dryer finally burned out last month after nine years of wear and tear.(vidal sassoon)
so now I really know that I can go a full year because I dont have a dryer close by. So no urges!

I plan to buy an ionic dryer at the end of the challenge
smile.gif

That sounds like what I do anyway. The last time I had direct heat(ie a curling iron) was when I had to get by hair done for my friends wedding in december. Even then I made the stylist roller set my hair and use the curling hair to tame it so to speak.

I'm up for the challenge. I have braid in and using the crown and glory technique. After two months I'm going to take them out. I can't wait to see what my hair is going to look like and how I'm going to manage it.
bouncy.gif

My sister offer me the chance to get my hair done, FREE I said I wanted twisted she said the lady only did pressing, It was a tempting offer cause my sister hair looked really good, and very shiny and soft, but I dont know if she press my sister hair(relaxed) I turn down the offer, and told her I was doing No heat challenge, I dont want too fail at this and think I can last for 1 year, I hope everyone is doing well
clap.gif

I would have to say that going heat and relaxer free was the best thing I could have ever done for my hair!( It's been almost 2 and a half years) It was hard in the beginning to give up my flat iron that I had fell in love with, but after a month or two I was okay! My hair instantly starting growing.

I'll asmit I broke down. I got a relaxer about two weeks ago and I blowfryed my hair after washing. I had graduation ceremony in the morning and didn't think I would have enough time to let it air dry into a good looking stlye. I relaxed my hair really late at night. But since then I have not used heat and don't have any plans to for the rest of the summer. But I think i'm gonna take it one month at a time.

I finally have enough for a bun so I am on the no direct heat bandwagon for at least until the end of summer. I will be surging and bunning until then. I will rinse my hair daily though and make sure to moisturize cuz it's not a problem to twist up my hair now.

Wow! I may finally be able to stretch out my relaxer now.

I would love to say that I could, but no blowdrying? I need at least my blowdryer...
frown.gif
Airdrying takes FOREVER on me and I can't walk around w/a wet head during the chillier months. *sigh*

I used to think I couldn't live without my blowdryer also. So I hung on to it for a year after I found this board. While I made some progress, I was doing damage. You can do it. Justr take it one step at a time and your hair will thank you for it. You can always use a hooded dryer too. You don't always have to airdry
smile.gif

I've been without direct heat for like 8-9 months with stellar results. In fact I think I am just lazy, I don't like blowdrying my own hair it takes too long especially when it's hot out I can't be bothered. I don't like when it's cold out either cause I don't like having heat on my head and then going out in the cold northeast winter air. I just do my twists or rollersets most of the time and that's okay with me.

How is everyone holding on, it has been almost 4 moths for me. and I dont feel bad at all. I think I can last one year, but I have not choosen to give up heat all together. I want to get my hair pressed after my one year is over.

Back