Can you last 1 YEAR without using direct heat?

JetBlack

Peace & Love
Ladies, I am amazed at how long my friend's hair has grown over the past 2 years. I asked her for her secret and she said, "no direct heat". She only gets roller sets. She has not used direct heat (flat irons, curling irons) for two years. She says that she trashed them two years ago. I don't know about you but I don't think I can do it. But I'm definitely going to try it for just 1 YEAR , starting today. I was going to try 6 MONTHS but I'm going for the year. Wish me luck! JetBlack
clap.gif

I've gone several months at at time w/o heat styling. But if I want a nice straight style, I use my ceramic flat iron with a heat protectant. I may flat iron once a month, if that. Other times I rollerset or just air dry.

Do it b/c it really works! I wish I could get my Mom to understand the "no heat" method. You can do it ladies!!! Go for it.

I use direct heat very infrequently and I think it is possible to go a whole year. I think the key is to make sure that you always have enough time to do your hair in whatever manner to get the look you want. For example, if you know you are to an event where you want a straighter look, set aside enough time to rollerset, etc in advance. Then you won't be tempted to use the curling irons/flat irons at the last possible second.

Best wishes to you and good luck!

dang im getting withdrawls from reading this thread......i wanna do it...but as soon as i think about it i get the press withdrawls...i need help. lol

I'm in. JetBlack you and I think alike. I was looking at my curling iron this morning and just wishing I could throw it away. I'm on several challenges so if my hair doesn't grow at this point I'm completely giving up!

I haven't had direct heat for more than a year. I am natural, and don't straighten my hair with flat irons or curling irons. I have done a roller set, so that I could trim my hair. I am trying to go 2 years. And maybe even then, I wont want to straighten my hair. I just let my hair do it's thing.

[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
I haven't had direct heat for more than a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

On April 20th, I'll have been relaxed and rollersetting exclusively for a year. I'm entirely too trifling to use a flat iron or curling iron or hot comb, but I have them in my closet from when I was not relaxed. These days I'd sooner wear the ringlets down in a pinch.

Uh oh...

::locking the door so that JetBlack can't come in::

sekret.gif

Just kidding. I guess I will add yet another challenge to my list.

I just noticed something... I now have no heatin appliances now.. my blow-dryer just died on me and I gave my friend my curling iron..b/c she claims she needs to curl her hair to make it str8.(i've tried to preach to this girl, she even gets upset cuz i be on this site so much..smh ..if she only knew the importance of good hair care)...anyway..jus hope i dont break down and attempt to buy one..I gots my eye on a ceramic curling and flatiron... next relaxer will be a roller set tho.. but that's a while down the line
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
I haven't had direct heat for more than a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

On April 20th, I'll have been relaxed and rollersetting exclusively for a year. I'm entirely too trifling to use a flat iron or curling iron or hot comb, but I have them in my closet from when I was not relaxed. These days I'd sooner wear the ringlets down in a pinch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great! You hair has really come along and is looking quite thick, healthy, and long. I am a believer in the benefits of reducing or eliminating the use of direct thermal styling appliances.

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
i will be able to once i learn how to rollerset properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i would be willing...if i can get the rollerset workin

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
I'm in. JetBlack you and I think alike. I was looking at my curling iron this morning and just wishing I could throw it away. I'm on several challenges so if my hair doesn't grow at this point I'm completely giving up!

[/ QUOTE ]
I threw mine away! No regrets either! For me it's going on 8 months with no heat and it really does make a difference! No more hair breakage, no burning hair smells, no thinning hair... Boxing up the curling iron and blow dryer and leaving it somewhere else may work.

DatJerseyDyme, maybe it's just me but I'm having a hard time getting into your progress pics. I typed "progress" in all kinds of ways (including copying and pasting) and it doesn't seem to work.

your friend has the right idea, JetBlack. i haven't used heat in over 2 years myself.

my hair thanks me for it everyday.
grin.gif

i know it's hard, cause i use to be the queen of the pressing comb, flat iron, crimping iron, blow dryer; you name it, i used it (regarding heat). if i can do it, I KNOW you guys can.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
DatJerseyDyme, maybe it's just me but I'm having a hard time getting into your progress pics. I typed "progress" in all kinds of ways (including copying and pasting) and it doesn't seem to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, I sent you a pm
smile.gif

Can you properly do a rollerset WITHOUT sitting under the dryer? Can someone look at my photo album for my hair type? My hair is very curly and I think I need to sit under the dryer.

scratchchin.gif

I can do it!

I want to. I kinda screwed my hair up a little by getting addicted to heat. It's back to normal now and I want it to stay that way!

I think I can do it but im gonna go for 6 months..im already down 2 months. Im transitioning so now I wear texturized styles (braid outs, bantu knot set, twist, etc.) and I think putting excessive heat especially where the two textures meet would be detrimental so im in!

Back