Can we name all the techniques, products, ect. that save time, or improve hair?

fluffylocks

There are so many new things popping up, so many members have things they do that make a difference to their hair that are not popular or that save time, I was wondering if we could post all the "breakthrough", "new" or just great things that are not widely recognized yet, or just old time favorites/good ones here......

Like any:

Ways to clean hair

Ways to wash hair

Ways to deepconditon hair

to oil hair

to dry hair

to style hair

to straighten hair

to curl hair

preseve hair at night

Strengthen hair

To lay down/improve Cuticles

Shiny hair

Prevent splits

any treatments

Relaxer methods

Natural hair methods

New products

Ways to detangle hair

Preserve products, treatments

Last edited:
Ways to clean hair

Ways to wash hair
*In sections/braided up

to oil hair

to dry hair

to style hair

to straighten hair

to curl hair
*Rag rolling http://www.stoptheride.net/2007/03/rag-rolling-to-curl-hair.html

*Paper curls http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1971-11-01/The-Lost-Art-of-Paper-Curls.aspx

(Havent tired yet)

preseve hair at night

Strengthen hair

*ACV (everyone probally knows)

Shiny hair
*Clear rinses

Prevent splits
*Seamless combs

any treatments
*Caramel treatment
*Brazillian keratin treatments

Relaxer methods

New products
*Ish pro treatment (can go under treatment and deepconditon as well i guess, havent tried yet either)

Natural hair methods [/quote]

Last edited:
Ways to clean hair

Ways to wash hair

In the shower
Overnight with a plastic scarf. To avoid mushy hair, apply enough don't overdue it.

to oil hair
In sections
to dry hair

to style hair
Quick style-bun:grin:

to straighten hair

to curl hair
Add rollers overnight or pincurl overnight

preseve hair at night
Scarf method

Strengthen hair
Any protein treatment

ACV Apple Cidar Vinegar
Shiny hair
Clear semi permanent rinse, or a dime size of oil of your choose

Prevent splits

any treatments

Relaxer methods

Natural hair methods

New products

Ways to detangle hair
From tip to root, if on dry hair- moisturize first

Ways to clean hair
No SLS poo, baking soda rinse, AVC rinse

Ways to wash hair

TWA...still doing the Pantene thing.:look:

MOIST, not wet hair or airdried CLARIFIED and/or WASHED hair

To oil hair
VATIKA for all over, Castor for edges and ends, Coconut for all over, jojoba for all over, Olive lightly for shine all over

To dry hair
Air! I luvs it!

To style hair
Cap n' Go -A Wash n' Go look in 3 minutes flat

To straighten hair
Aveda pomades and shine serums are great heat protection, light, non-greasy and gorgeous shine

To curl hair
My DNA...:lachen:

Preseve hair at night
Silk Wrap, Cap n Go

Strengthen hair
Neutral Protein Filler (See fotki for review)

AVC rinse

Shiny hair
Daily washing with a quality, no-SLS poo followed by a co-wash or AVC rinse or Oil Rinses

Prevent splits
Add neutral protein filler to your DC

Any treatments
Vatika Oil Treatment

Relaxer methods
Add Neutral protein filler and oil of your choice to slow process and help maintain some of your curl integrity

Natural hair methods
Cap n' Go

New products
Not new but your hair will feel new: Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat

Ways to detangle hair
Homemade Oil/Condish hair milk + wide toothed comb = soft, shiny, detangled hair

Not sure what you mean by preserve, but for treatments:
SMOOTH DOWN BUTTER TREAT (REDKEN) + OIL OF YOUR CHOICE = HAIR TO KILL, LIE, STEAL, AND PRANK CALL YOUR MAMA FOR!

Ways to clean hair

Ways to wash hair

In the shower

deep conditioner mixed with honey & olive oil with a shower cap under the hooded dryer for at least 30 minutes

to oil hair
wgo and mn in pointed bottle, base scalp and brush through

to dry hair
under hooded dryer with rollers; air dry with rollers; or with shower cap and leave-in and no drying.

to style hair
haven't done it in so long. usually a phony pony; i'll take my hair and spray with wave nouveau finishing mist and hawaiin silky moisturizer mixed with coconut oil

to straighten hair
I leave that to the pros :grin:

to curl hair
rollers only (no direct heat)

preseve hair at night
usually with shower cap and moisturizer or conditioner. other nights I just use a satin scarf

Strengthen hair
Aphogee protein treatment once a month. Giovanni Direct leave-in on wash days.

wave nouveau finishing mist and hawaiin silky moisturizer mixed with coconut oil

Shiny hair
Vitamins (horsetail, grape seed, flax seed oil, biotin/msm mix, one-a-day)

Prevent splits
coating or sealing my ends as much as possible

any treatments
protein treatments. would like a steam treatment one day:grin:

Relaxer methods
none now. transitioning to natural

Natural hair methods
guess i'll figure that out after i get some more new growth lol..

New products
just purchased mizani setting lotion and biolage gel (to combat frizzies when roller setting with the new growth), redken butter treat, smooth down, and restorative conditioners (JC Penney's sale!!!) and keracare humecto...my philosophy is you can never have too much conditioner lol

Ways to detangle hair
let's knock on wood because my hair has not been tangled or matted yet. but i normally take a paddle brush and brush through with my moisturizers

baggying

THANKS YALL!!! Im not worried about repeats if anyone else wants to state/elaborate on something thats already been said or that they have their own spin to it, or if they just want to name everything they know as well :yep:

Ways to clean hair
Baking Soda

Ways to wash hair

Steam (Different methods by SamanthaJones, Adw425, SouthernT )

to oil hair
Blowdry oil in hair (as treatment kinda aswell , not to sure about it though :ohwell:)
Oilrinse (Sereca)

to dry hair
Ponytail method

to style hair

to straighten hair

to curl hair
(and dry) Ponytail rollerest (Pokahontas)
preseve hair at night

Strengthen hair
Eggs, yogurt, henna
Ceramides (delp)

Refridge hair moisturizers (candyc)

Shiny hair
Cold water rinse

Prevent splits

any treatments

Relaxer methods
Add oil to relaxer (Sistaslick)

Natural hair methods
Use of Denman brush (?)

New products
Ghee (dlewis)
Curlfromers

Ways to detangle hair
Shower/running water

Freeze relaxers (not sure of the time)
[/quote]

Last edited:
Bump...:bump:This is good...because I had no clue about putting products in the fridge to harden a bit to lay down edges.(candyc) Ummm hummm will be giving this a try.:yep:

Ways to clean hair- Co-washing ..

Ways to wash hair- Hmm .. I do it in the shower. Looking for a new method though cuz this daily co-washing thing .. tangles.

Ways to deepconditon hair- Overnight:yep: .. with a baggy .. or half an hour under my dryer

to oil hair- Usually don't .. idk. With an applicator bottle.

to dry hair- Tied down .. clipped up.

to style hair- Lately buns ..

to straighten hair- Flatiron.

to curl hair- Flatiron.

preseve hair at night- Scarf ..

Strengthen hair- Motions CPR.

To lay down/improve Cuticles- Heat. or Cold Water Rinses.

Shiny hair- Chi Silk Infusion.

Prevent splits- Bunning.

any treatments

Relaxer methods

Natural hair methods

New products - Conditioner. That is all I need ..

Ways to detangle hair- Ends up. Slowly. Under running water. With conditioner.

Bump...:bump:This is good...because I had no clue about putting products in the fridge to harden a bit to lay down edges.(candyc) Ummm hummm will be giving this a try.:yep:

Oh thats a good idea--but i think it was to make the product colder to lay down the cuticles of the hair (i think)

Alrighty, these are the last ideas i've found from the board, fotkis and websites

Ways to clean hair

Ways to wash hair
*For people with kids or anyone willing to help them wash their hair: Shampoo Funnel ( http://www.sallybeauty.com/Shampoo Funnel/SBS-260815,default,pd.html)
Need a shampoo cape probally and one of those things that you attach to the sink faucet as an extendor

*Apply with a relaxer/dye brush

to oil hair
*With an applicator bottle to get roots (forgot whose idea it was, pm me)

to dry hair
*Microfiber Towel or Tshirt (cuts down drying time)
*Fan (I've only heard of it, never done it)

to style hair
*Faux Bob (have long hair, want it to look short)

to straighten hair
*Banding (Pokahantas?)

preseve hair at night
*Cross wrap (Khandi?)

Prevent splits
*Baggy

New products/Interesting
*Vented straightening/cutting comb (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Vented S...omb/SBS-345868,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair11-01)

*Home trimming (with help probally) -SHOULDERLENGTH HAIR -BUT NO LONGER THAN APL

Perfect cut collar http://www.sallybeauty.com/Perfect Cut Collar + Neck Shield/SBS-209840,default,pd.html

*unpetroleum jelly (Saw in someones fotki), alternative to petroluem/vasaline

Natural hair methods
*Shingling (?--dont know if its any good)

Treat Ends
"End Seal Technique (groafrohairlong.com)
While hair is damp
Take aluminum foil, fold over hair tip, and take a warm non- electric bumper curler or flat iron and place over the foil for 2-3 seconds. The heating appliance only needs to be warm not hot. Hot aluminum will burn your hair​

"If you hot curl your hair on a daily basis (growafrohairlong.com)
If you are curling your ends on a daily basis, spray very cold water (Ice water) on the tips daily and bump the ends. The ice water and heat will lock in moisture and produce a firmer set--which mean little to no breakage

Lay Down Edges/hairline
(Chicoro's method) 1. have wet hair in a ponytail 2. moisturize area 3. apply gel 4. Remove ponytail holder 5. Brush edges only 6. Place hair back into ponytail (smooth good) 7. Wipe off excess if needed 8. add more water 9. Use a "hair" toothbrush to smooth edges 10. alittle gel to hold down 11. smooth with brush again 12. Place satin scarf on, tie in front for added weight, let stay on for 5 min. 13. smooth again if needed 14---Excellent results!
[/quote][/quote]

Ways to clean hair I part my hair in the middle into two sections and then wash each section
Ways to wash hair ^^^^

Ways to deepconditon hair I apply the conditioner to my hair and then put all my hair in the middle of my head and tuck in my ends under the hair. When I do this it helps keep my hair from falling into the water at the back of the plastic cap.

to oil hair I part my hair into three or four sections detangle moisturize and then oil. When I moisturize or oil I scoop the substance with my fingers and then put it all over my hands. I then run my hands through my hair. This is a great technique:yep:

to dry hair I roller set or if I'm in a rush I blow dry:wallbash: I want to start air drying

to style hair Bun:ohwell:

to straighten hair I Roller set, wrap or use a flat Iron

to curl hair I roller set

preseve hair at night I cover my hair with a scarf

Strengthen hair Protien treatment

To lay down/improve Cuticles I use conditioners or roller setting

Shiny hair coconut oil

Prevent splits seal my ends with castor oil when wet while roller setting

any treatments Hot oil treatment. I apply the oil on my scalp and then add the conditioner to my hair. Sit uinder the dryer for 45-60 mins

Relaxer methods I section my hair into three sections. the middle ( whicch is hard to relax) gets the relaxer cream first then the back and finally the front.

Natural hair methods none

New products Elasta qp conditoners ( trying them out)

Ways to detangle hair I finger comb first and then use a extra wide tooth comb to detangle some more. If my hair is wet I apply elasta qp leave in let it sit for a while and start to detangle

Preserve products, treatments ?

how well does this work? how cold should it be?

i think it works well...
when i first started doing it
my SO thought i had dyed my hair black
because the color was shiny and rich
ummm... as far as coldness....
whatever you can stand :grin:
i pretty much rinse on the coldest setting for about 15 seconds
im used to it now, so i rinse a little longer than that now

Ways to clean hair
To clarify-mix baking soda with your conditioner in a 8oz color applicator bottle

Ways to wash hair
During your shower

Ways to deep conditon hair
Overnight

to dry hair
Rollerset

to style hair
Rollerset

to straighten hair
Rollerset and then place hair in a ponytail and tie down with a scarf…guaranteed straight roots

to curl hair
Rollerset & pincurl at night

preseve hair at night
pincurl, bun or a combination of the two and wrap with scarf or bonnet

Strengthen hair
Protein DC

Rollerset

Shiny hair
Rollerset

Prevent splits
Rollerset

Ways to detangle hair
[FONT=&quot]On clean wet hair with leave-ins[/FONT]

Ways to clean hair
To clarify-mix baking soda with your conditioner in a 8oz color applicator bottle

Ways to wash hair
During your shower

Ways to deep conditon hair
Overnight

to dry hair
Rollerset

to style hair
Rollerset

to straighten hair
Rollerset and then place hair in a ponytail and tie down with a scarf…guaranteed straight roots

to curl hair
Rollerset & pincurl at night

preseve hair at night
pincurl, bun or a combination of the two and wrap with scarf or bonnet

Strengthen hair
Protein DC

Rollerset

Shiny hair
Rollerset

Prevent splits
Rollerset

Ways to detangle hair
[FONT=&quot]On clean wet hair with leave-ins[/FONT]

Wow i never heard of these thanks for posting!

Ways to clean hair diluted sulfate free poo in an applicator bottle applied to roots

Ways to wash hair In the shower, in braids

Ways to deep conditon hair On dry hair before washing

to oil hair Melt coconut oil in hands or under warm water and massage throughout hair

to dry hair Airdrying or under ionic hood dryer

to style hair Scarf method to lay down roots & edges, braidouts for waves, rollersetting for straight/wavy hair

to straighten hair rollersetting on large rollers, flat iron w/CHI Infusion as protectant

to curl hair rollerset w/smaller rollers, bunning & bantus for waves

preseve hair at night silk scarf w/bonnet on top

Strengthen hair ORS Hair Mayo, henna

To lay down/improve Cuticles instant conditioner (VO5, WRTC)

Shiny hair coconut oil, henna, Lacio Lacio for rollersets

Prevent splits use castor oil based leave-in: QB Amla & Olive Heavy Cream

any treatments henna glosses: henna mixed w/conditioner, honey & oil

Relaxer methods having my hubby help, hair sectioned off and secured w/small clips, after rinsing relaxer and before neutralizing, applying protein conditioner, neutralizing: repeated lathers & rinses, leaving one of the last lathers on for 5 min., applying color (color shampoo or conditioner) after neutralizing when hair is most receptive

Natural hair methods henna

New products ORS Lock & Twist gel, perfect for laying down edges and slicking hair back

Ways to detangle hair prior to washing finger detangling w/liquid leave-in/detangler, in-shower w/conditioner adding instant conditioner (VO5, WRTC) for additional slip while combing under shower stream

Preserve products, treatments Leftover henna can be frozen

Ways to clean hair - toss the SLS commercial Shampoos. Use those to clean your tub, Use Castile Diluted with herbal teas or.... Baking soda.:bath2:

Ways to wash hair - In Braids or Twists - at ALL times... Never wash loose hair:clubu:Your hair will make you pay if you don't.

Ways to deepconditon hair - PRE POO is king - and deep condition weekly

to oil hair - Use a tint Bottle :yep:

to dry hair - Use a Tee Shirt!:grin: or - pay 20 bucks for a Fancy Curly Girl Towel....:lachen:

to style hair - For a natural - I twist and air dry

to straighten hair - Rollerset or- Blow Dry on Cool (especially on the ends)and let the products do the work. Also use a maxiglide or a Sedu. :grin:

to curl hair - use Rollers!!! Hot Curlers and Irons will kill old hair. PERIOD. Your hair will cry for help.:help:...My curling iron is for human hair extentions only!

preseve hair at night :hide:Hide it. Wrap it. Always use a sleep bonnet - Silk.....

Strengthen hair - Stay away from Direct heat.... and use good Condishes with good fortifiers for YOUR hair - not everyone elses.

Shiny hair - Icy Cold final rinses.........:eek:

Prevent splits:strong:Frequent watching of Splits.Clip oone as soon as you see one... Also using ALOE VERA as constant moisture to ends......

any treatments :brainfog:"Steam oh Steam - how do I love thee......" Tangles Dissapear!!!!

Relaxer methods - DON'T DO IT.... :imo:

Natural hair methods - :rocker:Natural products = Fabulous natural hair....Oils, Milk, eggs, Yogurt, Bananas....They are in the kitchen!!:shopping:Head for the supermarket Aisles!

New products - I don't have any right now - Don't really need any...

Ways to detangle hair - The Denman Detangle tutorial - in my Fotki..................pure heaven!:infatuated:

Preserve products, treatments - some good presevation - Vitamin E - Grapefruit Seed Extract, tea tree oil - homemade stuff can be put in the fridge or freezer.

Last edited:
That was good stuff samantha & priest (All late :rolleyes: :nono:)....

"worlds smallest flatiron"--for edges, short hair ect. --Ts-2 detailer
http://www.folica.com/TS_2_Detailer_d4263.html

Only new things i've seen are;
-Sabino Moisture Block (huge thread by jlove)--Supposedly almost completly blocks out moisture, theirs a demo video that shows hair being straightened, then going into a steam room, and the hair not reverting--People swear by it.

-An actual slender brush that you dip in gel jars for your edges :ohwell: --Revlon Amber Waves Gel Style Brush
http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...p&navCount=10&skuid=sku3429735&id=prod3430895

-Looking into Wen products, been seeing commericals--supposed to be revolutinary hair products
http://www.wenhaircare.com/

-A glycerin moisturizer by Smooth n shine, smells wonderfull like optimum conditoner, and works similar to Carefree moisturizer--Called "silk n curl creme gel"
http://www.cosmeticsolutions.biz/servlet/the-5998/Smooth-N-Shine-Silk/Detail

-A hair scarf called a "snood"--Protective style

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip199.htm

-A new wig by sensatinals called "invisalace" or something, supposed to be something like a lace front--Actually "instant lace top" or "instant lace front"
http://www.sensationnel.com/

Last edited:
The split ender http://www.splitender.com/ (Trims apx 1/4" of your hair at a time, you run it over your hair like a flation, same as twisting your hair and cutting the hairs that are sticking up)

Flexi8 clips http://www.flexi8.com/flex/index.html

Feather Iron (like an improved pressing iron) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFevWbBWhc&feature=related

Using Stabilzer Plus by French Perm after rinsing neutrilzing shampoo out of hair, makes hair silky, brings hair back to acidy level--ETA, also just read that its good to detangle hair

Last edited:
Hey thanks Barbara! I've only glanced at that site 1x-2x but never paid it any attention, the growth shots are amazing though...off to look into further detail. (Wonder why it isnt more popular)

"CreaClip Professional Hair-Cutting Tool"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgaJ70RfYA&feature=related

Devise that yu slide onto hair like a comb, and it has a weight in the middle that you balance to make sure your giving yourself/getting an even haircut.

Back