Can Someone Point This Thick Haired Girl In The Right Direction...

Janet'

Hi Ladies,

I'm going to keep this thread short and sweet...My hair is thick and plastic headbands, hair clips, barrettes, and chinese sticks either get broken, lost, or tangled in my hair. I am looking for some durable hair accessories that not only look nice but can actually handle my hair! I am interested in quality over price because I am thinking that these purchases will be investments.

Attached is a picture of my hair after I took it out of cornrows just to give you an idea of what I mean by "thick"...Thanks in advance ladies!!!

Attachments

• BKT and Big Hair 004.jpg
    BKT and Big Hair 004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 253
Goody Ouchless Flex barette (I think that's what it's called) seems like it might work for you. They're really flexible and stretch so much that you think they will break, but never do. (I have fine hair, but I have seen them work on thicker-haired ladies).

Looks like these...
goodyouchless.jpg

but it's one big one instead of two small. I've seen them in Walmart.

I am interested in seeing the responses of this thread. I can relate in my quest for products......durable enough, lol.

I feel your pain. I've overcome this by using:

Goody Spin Pins<----I love these the most and they allow me to comfortably wear other hair toys. If you can't find them in your area you can get them at www.walgreens.com

Flexi 8's

Ficcares are okay

Hair combs<----I got mine from www.haircombs.simplistic-designs.com/ but they're pricey. Teri from www.tightlycurly.com has one too.

The big large octopus and claw clips are okay for exercising in but my hair does tend to come out of them and I have to readjust them (plus my hair tends to break them after a while...) but if you're looking for something cheap just to put your hair up while being active or in the shower these are okay. But I really like the Goody Spin Pins; they are best for very thick hair. Goody Spin Pins are the best.

ETA: Hair Zings are nice, but if your hair is heavy like mine you may slightly bend a few teeth.

Www.lillarose.biz/ is affiliated with Flexi 8 and you can by more styles and products from there. Flexi 8 also makes customs too.

Hair ties/scrunchies are okay but try to get silk ones. I also think they can be hard on the ends if your make buns and tuck your ends under them. Since your hair is so thick you shouldn't have to wrap them around tightly.

Last edited:
My hair is similar to yours - at the mo, I can't get my hands through it!

I use a flexi 8 - work wonders. Also I bought a few clips from Quecraft, they are cheap enough and pretty durable.

HTH

I had never heard of flexi8's...Thanks for this!

Looks like these...
goodyouchless.jpg

but it's one big one instead of two small. I've seen them in Walmart.

Hmm, thanks for this, I will look into this. The Goody's ouchless bands work ok for me except that after two times, I stretch it out and then it's no longer usable...

I feel your pain. I've overcome this by using:

Goody Spin Pins<----I love these the most and they allow me to comfortably wear other hair toys. If you can't find them in your area you can get them at www.walgreens.com

Yes! I've been hearing about these spin pins...Celina, if you say they work for you, then I KNOW they should be able to handle my hair...

Flexi 8's

Once again, the Flexi8's...they must be pretty good!

Ficcares are okay

Interested in these...I've seen their website. Why are they just ok?

Hair combs<----I got mine from www.haircombs.simplistic-designs.com/ but they're pricey. Teri from www.tightlycurly.com has one too.

Yes, I have been looking for a good durable hair comb for a while now! I will check these out...I don't mind paying for it as long as I know that it's going to last for years...

The big large octopus and claw clips are okay for exercising in but my hair does tend to come out of them and I have to readjust them (plus my hair tends to break them after a while...) but if you're looking for something cheap just to put your hair up while being active or in the shower these are okay. But I really like the Goody Spin Pins; they are best for very thick hair. Goody Spin Pins are the best.

I have already broken SEVERAL of these!

ETA: Hair Zings are nice, but if your hair is heavy like mine you may slightly bend a few teeth.

Hmm...Never heard of Hair Zings before, but I will be looking at their website today as well! I'm not sure if my hair has gotten to the "heavy" stage, yet...I'm only BSB.

Www.lillarose.biz/ is affiliated with Flexi 8 and you can by more styles and products from there. Flexi 8 also makes customs too.

Hair ties/scrunchies are okay but try to get silk ones. I also think they can be hard on the ends if your make buns and tuck your ends under them. Since your hair is so thick you shouldn't have to wrap them around tightly.

Where do you get the silk scrunchies from?

Definitely HairZings. I love those Ficcare clips, but $40 for one clip?! I want to know where you guys are getting your flower clips from, like the one's Adora has in her siggy. I have these small butterfly clips, but they're rigged clips and do NOT fit comfortably!

Thanks! I will look these up today...It seems that I am getting mixed reviews regarding Ficcare clips...I don't mind paying but I definitely want to get my money's worth!

My hair is similar to yours - at the mo, I can't get my hands through it!

Lol! Actually, because I detangled before I braided it up, it was pretty straight- just big, lol!

I use a flexi 8 - work wonders. Also I bought a few clips from Quecraft, they are cheap enough and pretty durable.

HTH

Quecraft? Never heard of them, either! Thanks for this, I will check it out today!

Thanks ladies, keep em coming!!!!!

I have the exact same problem. I snap those Goody Hair accessories like an eggshell.

The best ones I've found are by Camila Paris. I don't know where you would get them because I found mine on a rotating rack at a small neighborhood pharmacy...not a chain like CVS. You could Google it.

They don't seem to have the same hinge mechanism as the cheap ones and they are smooth plastic. You can see one of mine on my fotki under protective styles.http://www.fotki/cheveux

Quecraft
http://www.etsy.com/shop/quecraft
Takes three weeks to arrive, but shipping is great and they are a very strong product.

The goodly flex clip will not break, but it also will not get through your thick hair, lol! I tried it and it will not break, but it also does not hold my hair because its just not strong enough.

The Flexi-8 clips are fantastic, I own a few.
http://www.flexi8.com/

I want Ficcare clips, but I have yet to get up the nerve to spend that much on hair clips, lol.
http://ficcare.com/index.aspx

I have an EZ Comb (Hairzing knock off) and it works, but I have definitely bent some of the pins inward, but hey it still works just as well and I get compliments on how pretty it is every time I wear it.
http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Combs-COMBO-Styling-Bands/dp/B001PNO6KG

By the way, Quecraft shipping is sooo very cheap!!!!!!!!

I just bought some hair accessories from the "No Damage" line by Scunci. They are working pretty well.

Hairsticks:

http://www.ketylo.com <---I've heard so many good things about these and want to order some soon.

http://www.crystalmood.com <----This site has recieved mixed reviews over at the Long Hair Care Community, but there's a sale going on and many of the sticks are less than $10 (many less than $5).

http://www.dressytresses.com/

Even if the hairsticks won't hold all of your hair you can just secure the bun with a few Goody Spin Pins and insert the sticks for decoration.

Thanks Ladies!!!

I went on etsy.com and ordered hairsticks and a few other accessories...

I went to liliarose.com and ordered a couple of flexi8's...

Once I get them, I will do a product review...

CelinaStarr...you've been VERY helpful, thanks!!!

Thanks Janet'. I've been looking around lately for new stuff too and have finally decided to try hair sticks since I've read they're great for low manipulation styles and they don't pull the hair out or cause tension.

My hairsticks from www.crystalmood.com came yesterday. I just ordered them a few days ago so shipping is really fast. I like them and they're able to hold all of my hair.

My sticks:
DSC01718-vi.jpg

This site has nice hair sticks too: http://longhairloom.com/stickshome.html

Esty shops with beautiful hairsticks and good reviews:

Hairjems

Timberstone Turnings
^^^^These look okay to me but a lot of people over at the Long Hair Care Community love these. I think the poster Mwedzi, a member on this forum with very beautiful hair, has one.

Aliarose

Night Blooming

Lfaigen

^^^OMGee, those hair sticks are beautiful...Question, do they actually hold all of your hair or are they more of an adornment?

OMG her stuff is awesomely beautiful

Yes, I ordered from her, but I think that the main website is etsy, if I'm not mistaken...I have been told that shipping takes about 3 weeks, but it's well worth the wait...I'm waiting patiently:yep::yep::yep:

^^^OMGee, those hair sticks are beautiful...Question, do they actually hold all of your hair or are they more of an adornment?

They actually hold all of my hair and I'm very surprised. The sticks are the only things holding my bun in my siggy.

I first apply them with the tip touching my scalp and kind of weave them through. I am able to make different buns with them instead of my usual round one. My braided bun is rather loose though and will require longer sticks.

But these sticks are inexpensive and are my very first and I like them. I can totally see myself starting a collection.

Many of the sticks at www.crystalmood.com are on sale now and are being sold for less than $10. That's why I decided to buy from them because even if the sticks didn't work, at least I didn't spend much money on them.

They actually hold all of my hair and I'm very surprised.

I first apply them with the tip touching my scalp and kind of weave them through. I am able to make different buns with them instead of my usual round one. My braided bun is rather loose though and will require longer sticks.

But these sticks are inexpensive and are my very first and I like them. I can totally see myself starting a collection.

Many of the sticks at www.crystalmood.com are on sale now and are being sold for less than $10. That's why I decided to buy from them because even if the sticks didn't work, at least I didn't spend much money on them.

Riigghhttt...Off to look at crystalmood.com!!!!

Back