can shingling help prevent ssk?

Evolving78

i did the braid out thing and it was cool for what it was, but i love WNGs so much! i wanted to know if shingling would help stretch the hair out and prevent it from tangling, creating knots? my hair is 6-6 1/2 inches now.

I wish it did! However I still get ssk's but I notice when I wash my hair I do not feel them as much. It might just be me but I only get a few at a time anyways. I switch between wng's, braid outs, twist outs and buns.

I get more knots and tangles on regular wash and goes than i do on shingled hair. I still gets some when I shingle but the ammount is peanuts compared to other "out styles"

I would think they'd be less with shingling because you actually stretch out the strands so they are parallel to each other instead of letting them do their own thang as happens with WNGs. Also shingling doesn't let the strands shrink back completely like WNGs but the combing actually creates a semi-stretched state, which is a good way to prevent SSKs and tangles. I do think leaving hair untouched for days on end can lead to problems as the hair curls back on itself though.

www.missjessies.com/site/pdf/Shingling-101.pdf

Hmmm, maybe I shingle then?

Coz I find that wash and go's actually help me prevent ssk. When people say wash and go's are a nightmare for their ends I'm like, oh wow, really?

nope. i tell folks all the time, as long as you have some sort of bends and twists in your hair, you will be prone to get them. it's the nature of the type of hair.

I would think they'd be less with shingling because you actually stretch out the strands so they are parallel to each other instead of letting them do their own thang as happens with WNGs. Also shingling doesn't let the strands shrink back completely like WNGs but the combing actually creates a semi-stretched state, which is a good way to prevent SSKs and tangles. I do think leaving hair untouched for days on end can lead to problems as the hair curls back on itself though.

www.missjessies.com/site/pdf/Shingling-101.pdf

good grief thanks for that PDFNonieremember reading a interview with one of the sisters and she said shingling takes minuimum of 5-6 hours i couldnt see why it would take that long

now i see why they really not playing with those tiny sections and combing it through section by section no wonder why they recommend the silkner for quickness:yawn:

Last edited:
good grief thanks for that PDF@Nonieremember reading a interview with one of the sisters and she said shingling takes minuimum of 5-6 hours i couldnt see why it would take that long

now i see why they really not playing with those tiny sections and combing it through section by section no wonder why they recommend the silkner for quickness:yawn:

Oh see that is just too much work and I think this would work for my daughter's hair but she is not going to want to do all this work and we love wetting our hair everyday. I want to go back to my curls now because all this styling is getting on my last nerve..... too much work

Oh see that is just too much work and I think this would work for my daughter's hair but she is not going to want to do all this work and we love wetting our hair everyday. I want to go back to my curls now because all this styling is getting on my last nerve..... too much work
Shadiyahmaybe your daughter can try the finger styling method thats what i do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcaDWL_oXc&feature=related i dont have time for shingling :nono:

This is what missjessie said regarding the difference between the two techniques Shingling is when the hair is placed flat in a pattern its like layered slates on top of each other after is dry those shingles are stretch out and divided to give you a define wavy curl pattern. finger-styling your raring fingers through the strands.

I have never shingled before. I wonder if I should try this in order to have more stretched out hair without doing braid outs. Has anyone tested this method to see if it has led to less SSKs?

@Shadiyahmaybe your daughter can try the finger styling method thats what i do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcaDWL_oXc&feature=related i dont have time for shingling :nono:

This is what missjessie said regarding the difference between the two techniques Shingling is when the hair is placed flat in a pattern its like layered slates on top of each other after is dry those shingles are stretch out and divided to give you a define wavy curl pattern. finger-styling your raring fingers through the strands.

Embyra thanks that is what we do already which is also called the curly girl method only thing is we both don't like big hair so I just smooth out my hair once it drys to make it fuller and take out any crunch from the products I use.

Embyra thanks that is what we do already which is also called the curly girl method only thing is we both don't like big hair so I just smooth out my hair once it drys to make it fuller and take out any crunch from the products I use.

Shadiyahlooove the CG method ........um say what now you both dont like big hair how could this be!The prospect of creating your own daily eclipse doesn't interest you??:lol:jk

@Shadiyahlooove the CG method ........um say what now you both dont like big hair how could this be!The prospect of creating your own daily eclipse doesn't interest you??:lol:jk

Embyra I thought about trying it one day to see what it looks like but see I cover when I go out and through out the day to pray so every time I put on my prayer garment is flatten my hair so it just seem such a waste of my time to do all the things that someone would if they were wearing it outside. I use to wear big hair back in the 80's and I would use the blowdryer with my fingers. Love it but for now it would just so can see.
right now when I do the curly look I just shake my hair out once I take my prayer garment off and it just goes back into place. and all this talk about curls is making me miss mines so very much I am protecting right now lol before that I was curly girl everyday.

Not for me. Shingling is a no go. My hair is SSK city when I do this. I'm trying to figure out an alternative, because I like wash and gos.

My Lord that Miss Jessie's pdf had a lot of steps and the outcome still looked like something you'd have out the shower and air-dried. Way too much work.

@Shadiyahmaybe your daughter can try the finger styling method thats what i do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcaDWL_oXc&feature=related i dont have time for shingling :nono:

This is how i do my hair pretty much everyday (the video)....only i use EcoStyler Argan and whatever co-washing conditioner i have as a leave-in...lately anyway. I don't get many too many ssk's...plus i also oil rinse regularly.

oil rinsing has cut my ssk down big time. i wash and go almost daily. well now every other night at bedtime, I put a lot of coconut oil throughout my hair. I place a plastic cap on it (sort of like ghe). then my bonnet. I sleep like that. Then next morning in the shower, I rinse with warm water. My hair detangles with my fingers and there are virtually no ssk. I love it so far.

@belldandy I need to get back to oil rinses. how do you do yours?

@MsLizziA I only used coconut oil so far. At nite, my hair is dry. I might spray it with a little water to make it damp. Then I just section my hair in two. I take a bunch of oil and coat the length, then my roots. Then I do the other side of my head. I use a lot of oil, more than I would for sealing but not too much that it will be dripping everywhere. I make two giant two strand twists in my hair. Then I cover with a plastic cap, then a bonnet. This way I am doing a ghe as well. When I shower the new morning, I rinse with warm water and a little cone free condish. My hair feels awesome!

How did you do yours?

belldandy the same exact way! lol. but i have to buy some more coconut oil tho. iherb has a HUGE bottle of coconut oil for $23 dollars that lasted me almost a year!

Co-signing with Sheena and MsLizzia. I say yes. I don't have the patience to shingle the "official" way; my method for wash n' goes is to part my detangled, co-washed hair and gently smooth and rake the gel through with my fingers. When my ends are neatly clumped together, they aren't tangling on each other. I still get a few SSKs--that's the nature of supercurly hair--but not so much that I consider it a real problem. I actually get less tangling this way than when I attempt to braid or twist my hair and then take it out.

Back