naturals- how can I prevent my braid out from puffing out!

This is what I was going to say. In my experience, trying to set in any way - braids, twists, rollers - is less successful when starting on dry hair.

I'm also going to go against the grain and say stay away from moisture. Think about it, if you are natural and get your hair straightened, or you get your hair done and get it curled, what makes it fuzz out or lose the curl? Water, i.e. moisture. For maximum definition and smoothness, I would apply a cream or butter that is low in humectants on wet hair, braid or twist, and then undo once completely dry. You can even just put oil on the hair before braiding. Depending on the weather, my small twist outs will last the whole week until I wash with this method.

Sooo...what creams and butters are low in humectants? It seems like a lot of them are humectants...I would like to know the ones that are low in humectants...

I did a braidout for a job interview, and it was so humid out that by the time I got to the end of the block, I looked like BoZo the clown. I rescheduled a job interview because I was having a bad hair day. My at the time, but not anymore boyfriend opened the door, saw my hair, and right in my face started bustin' up so hard, he could barely stand, he had tears pouring out of his eyes (I'm not exaggerating either).

I did a braidout for a job interview, and it was so humid out that by the time I got to the end of the block, I looked like BoZo the clown. I rescheduled a job interview because I was having a bad hair day. My at the time, but not anymore boyfriend opened the door, saw my hair, and right in my face started bustin' up so hard, he could barely stand, he had tears pouring out of his eyes (I'm not exaggerating either).

Oh I"m so sorry. I totally understand though. I am looking like a puffy cloud right now and I just flat ironed my hair. Everytime I try loose styles I end up wanting to relax my hair because it just isn't working out. I"m going to wear a bun or something and call it a day. I really need to get a job and start going to a stylist to do my hair, I just don't have the money to do so right now.

Oh I"m so sorry. I totally understand though. I am looking like a puffy cloud right now and I just flat ironed my hair. Everytime I try loose styles I end up wanting to relax my hair because it just isn't working out. I"m going to wear a bun or something and call it a day. I really need to get a job and start going to a stylist to do my hair, I just don't have the money to do so right now.

When flatironing - I have to use a silicone laden heat protectant like Sabino to seal out humidity and protect against heat but to maintain it, I use an oil (I use a cheapo like Wonder 8 and sometimes jojoba) when I put my hair up for the night. It's been working great on the infrequent times I want my hair straightened.

Examples:

Here's hair after flatironning w/a Maxiglide + Sabino MB.

dy2d86.jpg

Here's the same hair after applying oil to it before pincurling it at bedtime:
1553onr.jpg

and another:

npktae.jpg

No poof.

For braidouts, I do it a bit differently. I'll make 4 braids with freshly washed hair and allow to dry til damp. I then take out the braids and smooth the hair down with my hands, at the same time adding some sort of oil then rebraid and let the hair completely dry.

This is how that works:

2gy9c3c.jpg

I went several months doing nothing but braidouts. The style loosened up as the set let down a bit but it never lost the set and did not poof to the point that I felt like a dandelion that went to seed :grin:.

To maintain: Just before bed separate the hair into 4 sections and apply a light spritz of conditioner and water to a section (to soften the hair) then take a few drops of oil and smooth it down and rebraid it making sure I brushed through the ends to smooth them down.

The style would last 7-10 days. I rarily, if ever, had to use any silicone products for my braidouts but would have if I felt I needed the extra control.

HTH.

I'm having the same probably and forgot now is the time to use a heavier moisturizer due to the colder weather. I was looking at biosilk but ended up getting Frieda frizz- ez serum. I think it'll work better with an heavier moisturizer. good luck :spinning:

Sooo...what creams and butters are low in humectants? It seems like a lot of them are humectants...I would like to know the ones that are low in humectants...

If you look at the ingredients and water is in the first five then it's a humectant. Most anti humectant products are silicone based. Some have oils or wax or are some type of pomade. And it should not revert straightened hair when you apply it. It's supposed to block the moisture from getting into your cuticles. The moisture will make the hair swell which causes frizz, poofiness, reversion, etc. If the product is already in there the moisture has no way to get in or no where to go. You have to get it in there while the hair is wet/damp though. The moisture in the hair will be locked in.

If you look at the ingredients and water is in the first five then it's a humectant. Most anti humectant products are silicone based. Some have oils or wax or are some type of pomade. And it should not revert straightened hair when you apply it. It's supposed to block the moisture from getting into your cuticles. The moisture will make the hair swell which causes frizz, poofiness, reversion, etc. If the product is already in there the moisture has no way to get in or no where to go. You have to get it in there while the hair is wet/damp though. The moisture in the hair will be locked in.

Thanks for the reply, but I was wondering along the lines of natural things that are humectants...I know glycerin of course is a humectant. I've heard castor oil is too a few times...how would you know what natural products are humectants...

Back