Naturals - At what length did you start seeing a significant amount of SSKs?

At what length did you start seeing SSKs?

• 1-3 inches

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 3-6 inches

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • 6-9 inches

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • 9-12 inches

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • 12+ inches

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • never had SSKs

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As long as my hair can coil around itself, I can get them. They use to be a big problem for me way back in the day until I stopped wearing my hair shrunken, or leave my hair loose for over a few days.

I always wear my hair stretched out at all times. I also wash my hair in sections, and dry my hair in sections (twists or braids). Now I may see a couple here and there which is not a big issue. I just snip them off as soon as I see them.

I may get one or two when I detangle for my shampoo. :look:

I keep them minimized by finger-detangling on dry hair with conditioner mixed with EVOO, then twist into four sections secured with clamps. I shampoo and DC in those sections careful not to move strands around too much. I wear Kimmaytube's tuck and pin style with twistout bangs. I believe my key is to detangle and section before allowing water to fall onto my hair.

I'm not too sure if this is the reason though. :look:

I had them really bad after I finished transitioning. I never did a BC. Mine probably came from improper handling, detanagling, and wearing my hair loose in a puff all the time.

Hmmm...I don't know in inches but def. at MBL or currently MBL-WL I'm experiencing tons of SSKs. To the point where I suspect breakage so I scheduled an ealy trim apt. earlier than my June apt. It's definitely time for me to up the heat usage as in regular blow drying. Although I was slacking on my S&D within the past year, I've started up again. I just HATE when the knot is far up on the strand and you have to cut a lot off. UGH!

It's really discouraging...
Oh well...

I wear my hair loose or in an afro puff everyday. The only way I get a ton of single strand knots is if I do a wash and go. That style is murder on my ends and once I learned that I don't have hardly any ssks and my hair is in between sl and apl (recent hair cut).

I rarley get ssk.the cause of my ssk are "true" wash n gos and wet buns. If my hair is not smoothed and streched with product it will knot.

So if im doing twists or braid i use plenty of product and smooth my hair before twisting and seal the end with a comb coil.

if i want to wear my hair loose and curly i smooth and seal the curls using the "clap" technique with a thick conditioner.

I no longer wet bun at all.it always on damp or dry hair.

Also i wear my hair straight for a majority of the time via direct or indirect heat.but even when i wasnt using heat i had no ssk.

I have sum..dont know when they started maybe around SL..and I'm about BSL now..they dont bother me and I dont bother them..they dont impede my growth or cause more tangling or extra long detangling sessions..so I see em and keep it moving..

I am bottom neck length, when curly (which is all the time) and I just started fighting with those little whipper snappers! They bets ta watch out!

Now that I know the art of detangling my hair...I don't suffer from them too bad...SSKs are a part of a naturals life, but they don't stop me from wearing my hair curly.

I dont think I've ever gotten them. But I never have let my hair airdry at any point past about 2" long, always blowdry, so I never give it the opportunity to tie itself in knots.

Back